Re: [RFC] Adding alias command to ease supporting Python 2 and 3.

  • Paul Moore
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4 2:37 AM
      On Tuesday, 2 April 2013 12:28:40 UTC+1, mattn wrote:
      > I prefer rename python in current to python2, And define aliased command 'python'.
      > And I think that command must not be modifiable for users.
      > So :python is specified python2 or python3 if it possible. And if both are enabled, I prefer it's python3.

      I agree. Python 3 is becoming more common, so at some point having "python" mean "Python 2" will become obsolete. It requires some work to write Python code that is portable between Python 2 and 3, but it is certainly possible (and indeed it is the recommended approach to writing Python code that is portable between 2 and 3 these days).

      Very definitely, having :python mean "whichever of Python 2 or 3 is compiled in" makes sense.

      Paul.

    • Naoki INADA
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4 6:35 AM
        I agree with you.

        > > So :python is specified python2 or python3 if it possible. And if both are enabled, I prefer it's python3.

        I feel it is too aggressive for right now.
        I prefer :python means oldest python always and just wait python2 disabled on most platforms.

        2013年4月4日木曜日 18時37分06秒 UTC+9 Paul Moore:

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4 12:55 PM
          Paul Moore wrote:

          > On Tuesday, 2 April 2013 12:28:40 UTC+1, mattn wrote:
          > > I prefer rename python in current to python2, And define aliased command 'python'.
          > > And I think that command must not be modifiable for users.
          > > So :python is specified python2 or python3 if it possible. And if both are enabled, I prefer it's python3.
          >
          > I agree. Python 3 is becoming more common, so at some point having "python" mean "Python 2" will become obsolete. It requires some work to write Python code that is portable between Python 2 and 3, but it is certainly possible (and indeed it is the recommended approach to writing Python code that is portable between 2 and 3 these days).
          >
          > Very definitely, having :python mean "whichever of Python 2 or 3 is
          > compiled in" makes sense.

          Actually it doesn't. Python 2 and 3 are not compatible. You can't use
          :python without knowing what version it is. Therefore :python will
          always mean Python 2. Otherwise some percentage of the scripts will
          just not work.

          If you don't like this, complain to those who decided to make Python 3
          not compatible with Python 2.

          --
          "A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory."
          -- Steven Wright

        • INADA Naoki
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4 7:36 PM
            You're right, but...

            Actually it doesn't.  Python 2 and 3 are not compatible.  You can't use
            :python  without knowing what version it is.

            These days, many Python libraries support both of Python 2 and 3 in one source.
            For those, Python 2 and 3 are compatible at some level.

            Jedi-vim uses alias command like this:

            if has('python')
                command! -nargs=1 Python python <args>
            else
                command! -nargs=1 Python python3 <args>
            end

            But, user defined commands can't be script/plugin local.
            So having standard command like it is good idea.

             Therefore :python will
            always mean Python 2.  Otherwise some percentage of the scripts will
            just not work.

            If vim is build with -python +python3, those script just not work, too.
            So, :python fallback to python3 doesn't break any scripts.

            --
            INADA Naoki  <songofacandy@...>

          • Naoki INADA
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 5 12:29 AM
              This path makes :python fallback to :pytohn3 when -python and +python3.