Re: [RFC] Adding alias command to ease supporting Python 2 and 3.

  • mattn
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2013
      I prefer rename python in current to python2, And define aliased command 'python'.
      And I think that command must not be modifiable for users.
      So :python is specified python2 or python3 if it possible. And if both are enabled, I prefer it's python3.

    • Paul Moore
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
        On Tuesday, 2 April 2013 12:28:40 UTC+1, mattn wrote:
        > I prefer rename python in current to python2, And define aliased command 'python'.
        > And I think that command must not be modifiable for users.
        > So :python is specified python2 or python3 if it possible. And if both are enabled, I prefer it's python3.

        I agree. Python 3 is becoming more common, so at some point having "python" mean "Python 2" will become obsolete. It requires some work to write Python code that is portable between Python 2 and 3, but it is certainly possible (and indeed it is the recommended approach to writing Python code that is portable between 2 and 3 these days).

        Very definitely, having :python mean "whichever of Python 2 or 3 is compiled in" makes sense.

        Paul.

      • Naoki INADA
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
          I agree with you.

          > > So :python is specified python2 or python3 if it possible. And if both are enabled, I prefer it's python3.

          I feel it is too aggressive for right now.
          I prefer :python means oldest python always and just wait python2 disabled on most platforms.

          2013年4月4日木曜日 18時37分06秒 UTC+9 Paul Moore:

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
            Paul Moore wrote:

            > On Tuesday, 2 April 2013 12:28:40 UTC+1, mattn wrote:
            > > I prefer rename python in current to python2, And define aliased command 'python'.
            > > And I think that command must not be modifiable for users.
            > > So :python is specified python2 or python3 if it possible. And if both are enabled, I prefer it's python3.
            >
            > I agree. Python 3 is becoming more common, so at some point having "python" mean "Python 2" will become obsolete. It requires some work to write Python code that is portable between Python 2 and 3, but it is certainly possible (and indeed it is the recommended approach to writing Python code that is portable between 2 and 3 these days).
            >
            > Very definitely, having :python mean "whichever of Python 2 or 3 is
            > compiled in" makes sense.

            Actually it doesn't. Python 2 and 3 are not compatible. You can't use
            :python without knowing what version it is. Therefore :python will
            always mean Python 2. Otherwise some percentage of the scripts will
            just not work.

            If you don't like this, complain to those who decided to make Python 3
            not compatible with Python 2.

            --
            "A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory."
            -- Steven Wright

          • INADA Naoki
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
              You're right, but...

              Actually it doesn't.  Python 2 and 3 are not compatible.  You can't use
              :python  without knowing what version it is.

              These days, many Python libraries support both of Python 2 and 3 in one source.
              For those, Python 2 and 3 are compatible at some level.

              Jedi-vim uses alias command like this:

              if has('python')
                  command! -nargs=1 Python python <args>
              else
                  command! -nargs=1 Python python3 <args>
              end

              But, user defined commands can't be script/plugin local.
              So having standard command like it is good idea.

               Therefore :python will
              always mean Python 2.  Otherwise some percentage of the scripts will
              just not work.

              If vim is build with -python +python3, those script just not work, too.
              So, :python fallback to python3 doesn't break any scripts.

              --
              INADA Naoki  <songofacandy@...>

            • Naoki INADA
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
                This path makes :python fallback to :pytohn3 when -python and +python3.