Re: difference between number and relativenumber

  • glts
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2013
      On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 4:16 PM, tooth pik <toothpik6@...> wrote:
      > The script, among other things, turns number off -- this works as long
      > as my .vimrc only sets number. If my vimrc sets relativenumber the
      > scripted nonumber has no effect, and the window opens with
      > relativenumbers -- even more perplexing, verbose set number? reports
      > nonumber, and that it was set via the tinyscript.vim, but the window
      > has relative numbers bigger'n doggy doo.

      I don't know but I'd say this is as it should be.

      'Number' and 'relativenumber' are related but separate. So if your vimrc
      sets 'number' then you have to turn it off with ":set nonumber". If your
      vimrc sets 'relativenumber' you have to turn it off with ":set
      norelativenumber".

      And :verbose reports correctly, too: The last time the 'number' option
      was set was indeed by "set nonumber" in tinyscript.vim. But this is
      masked by 'relativenumber' which is still on.

    • tooth pik
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 30, 2013
        On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 04:53:56PM +0100, glts wrote:
        > On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 4:16 PM, tooth pik <toothpik6@...> wrote:
        > > The script, among other things, turns number off -- this works as long
        > > as my .vimrc only sets number. If my vimrc sets relativenumber the
        > > scripted nonumber has no effect, and the window opens with
        > > relativenumbers -- even more perplexing, verbose set number? reports
        > > nonumber, and that it was set via the tinyscript.vim, but the window
        > > has relative numbers bigger'n doggy doo.

        > I don't know but I'd say this is as it should be.

        > 'Number' and 'relativenumber' are related but separate. So if your vimrc
        > sets 'number' then you have to turn it off with ":set nonumber". If your
        > vimrc sets 'relativenumber' you have to turn it off with ":set
        > norelativenumber".

        sorry -- I assumed 'nonumber' would turn either of them off -- silly
        me -- I guess I need to test what's on so I can get specific about
        what I turn off -- or simpler would be to just turn off both...

        thx glts