Changed search() behavior in patchset 875

  • Андрей Радев
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013
      Hello,

      In patchlevel 875, the search() function seems to have changed its
      behavior when the "c" flag is given. Here's an example:

      foo = "bar#baz"

      if the cursor is after the "#" (on "baz", for instance) and you
      execute the following:

      call search('#', '', 1)

      Then, the cursor will not be moved, since the search goes forward by
      default. However, if you call this:

      call search('#', 'c', 1)

      The cursor jumps to the "#". This doesn't seem to be affected by the
      "W" flag either.

      This was discovered when pressing "o" on coffeescript that has
      embedded code within a string. Example:

      foo = "bar#{baz}bla"

      The problem turned out to be that the indent script is calling a
      search() with the "c" flag. This was working in patchlevel 861.

      Regards,
      Andrew

    • glts
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013
        Андрей,

        On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Андрей Радев <andrey.radev@...> wrote:
        > In patchlevel 875, the search() function seems to have changed its
        > behavior when the "c" flag is given. Here's an example:
        >
        > foo = "bar#baz"
        >
        > if the cursor is after the "#" (on "baz", for instance) and you
        > execute the following:
        >
        > call search('#', '', 1)
        >
        > Then, the cursor will not be moved, since the search goes forward by
        > default. However, if you call this:
        >
        > call search('#', 'c', 1)
        >
        > The cursor jumps to the "#". This doesn't seem to be affected by the
        > "W" flag either.
        >
        > This was discovered when pressing "o" on coffeescript that has
        > embedded code within a string. Example:
        >
        > foo = "bar#{baz}bla"
        >
        > The problem turned out to be that the indent script is calling a
        > search() with the "c" flag. This was working in patchlevel 861.

        you're not the first to notice:

        https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/c80CG2vMnkQ/zI5Cvoa3yd8J

        A patch is waiting to be checked in.

        David

      • Andrew
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013
          > you're not the first to notice:

          Sorry, I didn't realize it was a search() issue before starting the email. I'll wait for the patch :).

          Regards,
          Andrew.

        • anyrails
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 30, 2013