search() problem

  • Marcin Szamotulski
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 26, 2013
      Dear Devs,

      I've found a problem with the search() function. Put a line like the
      one below

      ( X

      as a last line which contains a (. Then place the cursor over X and run:
      :call search('(', 'cW')
      Here the cursor lands on (. It seems that with the 'c' switch the
      search begins where the line begins, since

      ( ( X
      (again placing the cursor over X, and assuming that there are no more
      brackets in the file) the search will end over the first bracket.

      I have tested this with vim -u NONE on Linux (vim 7.3.871).

      Best regards,
      Marcin

    • Sung Pae
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 26, 2013
        On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 01:45:40AM +0000, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:

        > :call search('(', 'cW')
        > Here the cursor lands on (. It seems that with the 'c' switch the
        > search begins where the line begins, since
        >
        > ( ( X
        > (again placing the cursor over X, and assuming that there are no more
        > brackets in the file) the search will end over the first bracket.
        >
        > I have tested this with vim -u NONE on Linux (vim 7.3.871).

        Hello,

        This was a regression in 7.3.871. A user of one of my plugins alerted me
        to the issue, and I mailed a proposed solution in this thread:

        https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/UNuAJ_lKqng/XRPH6LN9vmQJ

        Cheers.

        Sung Pae