Re: Is Vim Applying for the 2013 Google Summer of Code?

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 25, 2013
      Bryce Guinta wrote:

      > I'm a student interested contributing to the Vim project(probably
      > thorough bug fixes and cleaning the issue tracker) through Google Summer
      > of Code, but I haven't noticed any talk of Vim joining GSoC for 2013.
      >
      > I know the Vim has previously joined in 2008 (
      > https://developers.google.com/open-source/soc/2008/#vim ) and has
      > attempted in later years ( http://www.vim.org/soc/ideas.php )
      >
      > If Vim hasn't applied, there's still a few days left for mentoring
      > organizations, and I would love to contribute to the text editor I use
      > every day.

      Vim has not applied. We applied last year but were not accepted.
      Unfortunately I don't have time this week to fill in the application.

      --
      From "know your smileys":
      +<(:-) The Pope

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2014
        Bram,

        any plans for Vim to participate in this years GSOC?

        There is a good week left to apply for organizations.
        https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2014

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2014
          Christian Brabandt wrote:

          > any plans for Vim to participate in this years GSOC?
          >
          > There is a good week left to apply for organizations.
          > https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2014

          There is some work to be done, such as filling out forms, coming up with
          a good project description, etc.

          I can do a few of these things, but don't want to spend too much time on
          this.

          Main question is: what would the student work on?
          Second question is: Would you volunteer to mentor?

          --
          Two fish in a tank. One says to the other:
          "Do you know how to drive this thing?"

        • ZyX
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2014
            > Main question is: what would the student work on?

            I suggest reworking input since it is demanded, not too easy, but most likely doable. Though there are other jobs: multitasking (not threading: that would be too hard) (there is a good head start with existing patches), improving language bindings (no languages which have just as good bindings as python does, yet python is incomplete) (this task is easily split into a big bunch of much smaller tasks, so freezing process at any stage is harmless and almost waste-less).

            > Second question is: Would you volunteer to mentor?

            Do not know that part (input) of code enough to mentor, and do not have enough time.

          • Lech Lorens
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2014
              On 05-Feb-2014 Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

              > Christian Brabandt wrote:
              >
              > > any plans for Vim to participate in this years GSOC?
              > >
              > > There is a good week left to apply for organizations.
              > > https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2014
              >
              > There is some work to be done, such as filling out forms, coming up with
              > a good project description, etc.
              >
              > I can do a few of these things, but don't want to spend too much time on
              > this.
              >
              > Main question is: what would the student work on?

              My picks:
              - try to improve the syntax highlighting speed (C syntax-based folding
              can become extremely slow!),
              - semantic highlighting (which might perhaps also involve some
              refactoring of the code displaying the UI),
              - enhanced diff mode (there was a short discussion in the thread "Diff
              filler broken with non-standard but valid diffexpr input"),
              - I would like cscope results to be accessible from VimL.

              I would like some autocommands added:
              - MakeSessionPre - before session file is written so that plugins can be
              triggered to update the variables saved in the session file,
              - DebugEnter - when debug mode is entered or code execution stops on
              a breakpoint.

              From todo.txt:
              8 Add breakpoints for setting an option
              8 Add breakpoints for assigning to a variable.

              There's also the voting page.

              But the real question is: what would you like to be done enough to
              commit to finding the time required to review the code and possibly
              integrate it within a reasonable time frame?

              > Second question is: Would you volunteer to mentor?

              I would volunteer to co-mentor under the condition as described below:
              the code (if acceptable) would be integrated within reasonable time
              (perhaps before 2015? before spring 2015?). Waiting a few months would
              be OK. Waiting a few years would not.

              Would you agree?
              Would anyone else volunteer as a mentor?

              Cheers,
              Lech

            • Christian Brabandt
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 5, 2014
                On Mi, 05 Feb 2014, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                > Christian Brabandt wrote:
                >
                > > any plans for Vim to participate in this years GSOC?
                > >
                > > There is a good week left to apply for organizations.
                > > https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2014
                >
                > There is some work to be done, such as filling out forms, coming up with
                > a good project description, etc.
                >
                > I can do a few of these things, but don't want to spend too much time on
                > this.
                >
                > Main question is: what would the student work on?

                Mainly issues, that pop up here often enough, e.g.
                the multi-threading or async patch, the suggested improved keyboard
                handling (e.g. differentiate <tab> from <c-i>), I am sure there are a
                lot more issues, just look into the todo list.

                > Second question is: Would you volunteer to mentor?

                I am not sure I qualify. What would I have to do and how much time would
                I need to spend on? The main questions from Lech are very valid points.
                E.g. this makes only sense, if you can review the work and are willing
                to include them into Vim say within a year or so (with Vim 7.5).

                Best,
                Christian
                --
                You prefer the company of the opposite sex, but are well liked by your own.

              • John Beckett
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 5, 2014
                  Lech Lorens wrote:
                  > Would anyone else volunteer as a mentor?

                  For GSOC2012, Bram needed another person to register with
                  Google, and I was that person. I would be happy to do that again
                  if wanted. I could act as a coordinator to check that things are
                  ok for student(s) and mentor(s), and raise problems on the
                  mailing list or with Bram if needed. However, while I have done
                  some very minor fiddling with Vim's source, I would not be
                  suitable as a mentor.

                  Mentors do not need to register with Google, but they do need to
                  be able to respond to queries from the student, and do a review
                  of the work.

                  Our application for GSOC2012 was not accepted, probably because
                  the ideas page was too much like a bug list: the GSOC docs say
                  bug lists are not acceptable. From memory, Google want to see
                  an interesting ideas page that gives an impression that the
                  student will do something worthwhile and will be looked after.

                  http://www.vim.org/soc/ideas.php

                  An anonymous user created these pages in March 2011:
                  http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_GSoC_Application_Template
                  http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_GSoC_2011_Ideas

                  If anyone wanted, the above could be used to draft ideas (don't
                  worry about it saying "2011"; we'll rename it if necessary).
                  However, the final ideas page should be at vim.org as above.

                  An example of MediaWiki planning:
                  https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Summer_of_Code_2014

                  John