Re: "." fails to repeat the last executed operator with ":normal v"

  • Sung Pae
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 23, 2013
      On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 09:56:58AM -0700, glts wrote:

      > I spent some time looking into this. Attached is a first *proposal*
      > for a patch for the current Vim version 7.3.875, which -- I believe --
      > fixes this.

      I can confirm it works for simple repeats of custom motions with `d` and
      `c` operators, as well the custom `ys` operator that Kana showed was
      problematic.

      > However, the code surrounding Visual mode and operators is rather ...
      > tricky to say the least, so I urge you to look it over carefully,
      > and comment on whether you think it is correct or how it could be
      > improved.

      I see two issues on first glance:

      * Counts are not repeated; d2x (x being a custom motion) repeats as
      dx only
      * Making a visual selection with a custom operator clobbers the redo

      It's promising that your small patch enables so much of the desired
      functionality. Please continue!

      > There has not been any response on the status of this issue. Operators
      > and text objects are two of the major advantages Vim has over other
      > editors. So I believe it is essential to let users leverage the full
      > power of their own custom operators and text objects by making them
      > repeatable with the dot command.

      Perhaps we will be able to convince Bram if the solution is clean and
      unobtrusive.

      Sung Pae

    • glts
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 24, 2013
        Sung Pae, thank you for your feedback.

        On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 12:40 AM, Sung Pae <self@...> wrote:
        > I see two issues on first glance:
        >
        > * Counts are not repeated; d2x (x being a custom motion) repeats as
        > dx only

        Yes, but this is due to another bug. My patch does not affect this.

        The v:count variables are treated differently in omaps. Compare:

        :nnoremap <silent> x :<C-U>exe "norm! d".v:count1."e"<CR>
        :onoremap <silent> x :<C-U>exe "norm! ".v:count1."e"<CR>

        If you try the normal mode mapping, e.g. "2x", then the dot command will
        have the same effect as "2x". You can also override the count by giving
        a count to the dot command, e.g. "3.". This is the expected behaviour.

        The omap on the other hand doesn't work like that. Try "d2x" and then
        repeat with the dot command: The original count is not used. You have to
        use "2." to get the same as with "d2x".

        This is a different issue, and I'd rather put it off for the moment.

        > * Making a visual selection with a custom operator clobbers the redo

        Can you give an example? I don't see the problem.

      • Sung Pae
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 24, 2013
          On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 06:43:47PM +0100, glts wrote:

          > On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 12:40 AM, Sung Pae <self@...> wrote:
          > > I see two issues on first glance:
          > >
          > > * Counts are not repeated; d2x (x being a custom motion) repeats as
          > > dx only
          >
          > Yes, but this is due to another bug. My patch does not affect this.
          >
          > The v:count variables are treated differently in omaps. Compare:

          Ah yes, you're totally correct. I remember now that I had to work
          around that myself by saving v:count to a buffer-local variable on omap
          invocation, then string-replace the v:count variable in the omap rhs
          with the buffer-local "b:_count", so that the cached value would be used
          on repeat. It was very nasty, but it worked.

          > This is a different issue, and I'd rather put it off for the moment.

          Yes, I imagine a new count variable needs to be created to handle omaps.

          > > * Making a visual selection with a custom operator clobbers the redo
          >
          > Can you give an example? I don't see the problem.

          I apologize, that was a bit vague.

          Let's create a simple (and incomplete) custom motion:

          function! SelectInCaps()
          let [bl, bc] = searchpos('\u', 'cbW')
          let [el, ec] = searchpos('.\u\ze', 'W')
          call setpos("'<", [0, bl, bc, 0])
          call setpos("'>", [0, el, ec, 0])
          normal! gv
          endfunction

          Then map it to both visual and operator-pending modes:

          vmap ic :<C-U>call SelectInCaps()<CR>
          omap ic :<C-U>call SelectInCaps()<CR>

          Repeating the command dic with the . command works now with your patch:

          Foo|BarBazQuux
          Foo|BazQuux " dic
          Foo|Quuz " .

          However, if we invoke vic after running dic, the . command no longer has
          any affect:

          Foo|BarBazQuux
          Foo|BazQuux " dic
          Foo|BazQuux " vic<Esc>
          Foo|BazQuux " .

          This is not true of the builtin motions like `aw`; visual commands do
          not clobber the repeat buffer (or however it may work).

          Thank you for your work on this!

          Sung Pae

        • glts
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 25, 2013
            On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 2:08 AM, Sung Pae <self@...> wrote:
            > Let's create a simple (and incomplete) custom motion:
            >
            > function! SelectInCaps()
            > let [bl, bc] = searchpos('\u', 'cbW')
            > let [el, ec] = searchpos('.\u\ze', 'W')
            > call setpos("'<", [0, bl, bc, 0])
            > call setpos("'>", [0, el, ec, 0])
            > normal! gv
            > endfunction
            >
            > Then map it to both visual and operator-pending modes:
            >
            > vmap ic :<C-U>call SelectInCaps()<CR>
            > omap ic :<C-U>call SelectInCaps()<CR>
            >
            > Repeating the command dic with the . command works now with your patch:
            >
            > Foo|BarBazQuux
            > Foo|BazQuux " dic
            > Foo|Quuz " .
            >
            > However, if we invoke vic after running dic, the . command no longer has
            > any affect:
            >
            > Foo|BarBazQuux
            > Foo|BazQuux " dic
            > Foo|BazQuux " vic<Esc>
            > Foo|BazQuux " .

            Yes, sorry, and thanks for reporting. Operator and Visual mode handling
            isn't easy and I'm learning it the hard way ...

            Anyway, after another session in the debugger I came up with the slight
            amendment in the attachment. If you would like to try it, be my guest. I
            hope I can find the time to write a few tests.

            David

          • Sung Pae
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 25, 2013
              On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 10:14:48PM +0100, glts wrote:

              > On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 2:08 AM, Sung Pae <self@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Let's create a simple (and incomplete) custom motion: …
              >
              > Anyway, after another session in the debugger I came up with the
              > slight amendment in the attachment. If you would like to try it, be my
              > guest. I hope I can find the time to write a few tests.

              Yes, this definitely solves the problem with visual selections clearing
              the repeat. I tried poking around a bit more, and I couldn't find any
              obvious problems, which is exciting.

              All that appears to be left to achieve parity with builtin cursor
              motions is the issue with v:count. I will report any problems should I
              find them.

              Thank you for looking into this.

              Sung Pae