Re: [patch] Move base Windows support to WinXP

  • Mike Williams
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 23 9:52 AM
      On 20/03/2013 03:32, John Beckett wrote:
      > Bram Moolenaar
      >> So how about this: 7.4.000 will be released with MS-Windows
      >> binaries that still support the old systems. Once it's out
      >> and it looks OK we drop support for older systems. That way
      >> 7.4 is what needs to be used for old systems. It includes a
      >> lot of bug fixes since the last binary release. And then
      >> 7.4.001 and further can add stuff that is not possible when
      >> building for the older systems.
      >
      > That's fine for experts, but very confusing for everyone else.
      > It would be far better to have 7.3.999 (or whatever the final
      > number is) be the last version that runs on older Windows.
      >
      > The official binaries normally are not updated, but why not make
      > an exception in this case and issue executables for 7.3.999 with
      > a note that it is the last version that runs on Windows older
      > than XP.
      >
      > People would find it a lot easier to understand that 7.4.x is
      > the new system, and that 7.3.x was the last that supported old
      > systems. I haven't upgraded Vim for a while, but I assume Vim
      > still displays "7.3" for :version, with the included patches on
      > a separate line. Standard users would not understand what is
      > meant by 7.3.0 versus 7.3.1.

      Windows builds of VIM are starting to fragment. You can take the
      default build which works on all versions of Windows. Great. You can
      change some compilation flags and then get more features but only work
      on more recent versions of Windows. Working out which flags give you
      which additional features is not always obvious, and patches have not
      been policed as well as they could have to prevent this problem. If VIM
      on Windows is mainly used by people who roll their own binaries this may
      not be such a problem, but if there are a lot of Windows users who pick
      binaries off servers then this may be a bigger issue.

      I'm picking on WINVER at the moment since I believe it is not being used
      correctly in the current source. It may be that the two cases I see are
      the only problems, but it sets a precedent for others. Pinning down now
      how such backward unsupportable changes should be coded up will help
      future development. The simplest example is modify_fname() which
      protects the call to GetLongPathName() which is not in Windows versions
      prior to XP. It would be better coded up to use GetProcAddress() to
      dynamically load and use if available.

      My 2ps worth.

      Mike
      --
      A swift kick in the butt is no way to get a dragon's attention.