Re: Suggestion: Highlight the search pattern in :g/.../# or :g/.../p

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013
      Hi Axel!

      On Do, 21 Mär 2013, Axel Bender wrote:

      > How about implementing a hightlighting of the pattern searched for in :g/.../ expressions? At times the resulting list is quite long and it is difficult to identify the pattern. Highlighting it would be of great benefit (at least for me...).

      Are you possibly looking for :set hls

      regards,
      Christian
      --
      Erfahrungen - das sind die vernarbten Wunden unserer Dummheit.
      -- John Osborne

    • Ingo Karkat
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013
        On 21-Mar-13 11:02:38 +0100, Christian Brabandt wrote:

        > On Do, 21 Mär 2013, Axel Bender wrote:
        >
        >> How about implementing a hightlighting of the pattern searched for in
        >> :g/.../ expressions? At times the resulting list is quite long and it
        >> is difficult to identify the pattern. Highlighting it would be of
        >> great benefit (at least for me...).
        >
        > Are you possibly looking for :set hls

        The default [cmd] for :g is :print; I think he wishes to have the pattern
        highlighted in the :print output (which is plain text). Variants of :print and
        :number that use the buffer's syntax highlighting (and 'hls') would indeed be nice.

        -- regards, ingo

      • Jürgen Krämer
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013
          Hi,

          Axel Bender wrote:
          > How about implementing a hightlighting of the pattern searched for in
          > :g/.../ expressions? At times the resulting list is quite long and it
          > is difficult to identify the pattern. Highlighting it would be of
          > great benefit (at least for me...).

          the last time somebody asked this question I wrote this little function

          function! PrintWithHighlighting()
          let line = getline('.')
          let ms = match(line, @/)
          let me = matchend(line, @/)

          if ms != -1
          echohl none
          echo strpart(line, 0, ms)
          echohl Search
          echon strpart(line, ms, me - ms)
          echohl none
          echon strpart(line, me, strlen(line))
          else
          echo line
          endif
          endfunction

          command! P call PrintWithHighlighting()

          You can use it like this

          :g/you pattern/P

          I have never tested it much and I think I did not get any feedback if
          it behaved as wanted.

          In the same thread somebody else replied with suggesting a script that
          probably can be found on vim.org and might be tested more.
          Alas, I cannot find the original thread at the moment.

          Regards,
          Jürgen

        • Jürgen Krämer
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013
            Hi again,

            Jürgen Krämer wrote:

            > Axel Bender wrote:
            >> How about implementing a hightlighting of the pattern searched for in
            >> :g/.../ expressions? At times the resulting list is quite long and it
            >> is difficult to identify the pattern. Highlighting it would be of
            >> great benefit (at least for me...).
            >
            > the last time somebody asked this question I wrote this little function
            >
            > function! PrintWithHighlighting()
            > let line = getline('.')
            > let ms = match(line, @/)
            > let me = matchend(line, @/)
            >
            > if ms != -1
            > echohl none
            > echo strpart(line, 0, ms)
            > echohl Search
            > echon strpart(line, ms, me - ms)
            > echohl none
            > echon strpart(line, me, strlen(line))
            > else
            > echo line
            > endif
            > endfunction
            >
            > command! P call PrintWithHighlighting()
            >
            > You can use it like this
            >
            > :g/you pattern/P
            >
            > I have never tested it much and I think I did not get any feedback if
            > it behaved as wanted.

            it misses at least one feature: it only highlights the first match on a
            line.

            > In the same thread somebody else replied with suggesting a script that
            > probably can be found on vim.org and might be tested more.
            > Alas, I cannot find the original thread at the moment.

            Found it: http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip1141

            Regards,
            Jürgen

          • Barry Arthur
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013
              On Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:51:50 PM UTC+8, Axel Bender wrote:
              > How about implementing a hightlighting of the pattern searched for in :g/.../ expressions? At times the resulting list is quite long and it is difficult to identify the pattern. Highlighting it would be of great benefit (at least for me...).

              function! PrintWithHighlighting()
              let line = getline('.')
              let ms = match(line, @/)
              let me = matchend(line, @/)

              while ms != -1
              echohl none
              echon strpart(line, 0, ms)
              echohl Search
              echon strpart(line, ms, me - ms)
              echohl none
              let line = strpart(line, me)
              let ms = match(line, @/)
              let me = matchend(line, @/)
              endwhile
              echon line . "\n"
              endfunction

              command! P call PrintWithHighlighting()

            • Gary Johnson
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013
                On 2013-03-21, Jürgen Krämer wrote:
                > Hi again,
                >
                > Jürgen Krämer wrote:

                > > In the same thread somebody else replied with suggesting a script that
                > > probably can be found on vim.org and might be tested more.
                > > Alas, I cannot find the original thread at the moment.
                >
                > Found it: http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip1141

                I've been using that one for years, probably since it appeared in
                2006. It works great.

                :g/pattern/PP

                Regards,
                Gary

              • Axel Bender
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013
                  Thanks all!

                  Based on your input my final version (taking into account vim's number setting):

                  command! -nargs=? P :call PrintHighlighted(<q-args>)

                  function! PrintHighlighted(arg)
                  echo ""

                  if a:arg == "#" || &number
                  let l:lnum = line(".")

                  echohl LineNr
                  echon " " . repeat(" ", len(line("$")) - strlen(l:lnum)) . l:lnum . " "
                  echohl NONE
                  endif

                  let l:line = getline(".")
                  let l:pos = 0

                  while 1
                  let l:ms = match(l:line, @/, l:pos)

                  if l:ms == -1
                  echon strpart(l:line, l:pos)
                  return
                  endif

                  echon strpart(l:line, l:pos, l:ms - l:pos)

                  let l:me = matchend(l:line, @/, l:pos)

                  echohl MarkerBlue
                  echon strpart(l:line, l:ms, l:me - l:ms)
                  echohl NONE

                  if l:pos == l:me
                  echon strpart(l:line, l:me)
                  return
                  endif

                  let l:pos = l:me
                  endwhile
                  endfunction

                • Barry Arthur
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013
                    The final version I added to SearchParty:

                    function! PrintWithHighlighting() range
                      let lnum = a:firstline
                      let lnum_len = len(line('$'))
                      for line in getline(a:firstline, a:lastline)
                        echohl LineNr
                        echon printf("%*s ", lnum_len, lnum)
                        echohl none
                        let lnum += 1

                        let ms = match(line, @/)
                        let me = matchend(line, @/)
                        while ms != -1
                          echohl none
                          echon strpart(line, 0, ms)
                          echohl Search
                          echon strpart(line, ms, me - ms)
                          echohl none
                          let line = strpart(line, me)
                          let ms = match(line, @/)
                          let me = matchend(line, @/)
                        endwhile
                        echon line . "\n"
                      endfor
                    endfunction

                    command! -range P <line1>,<line2>call PrintWithHighlighting()

                    On 22 March 2013 02:12, Axel Bender <axel.bender@...> wrote:
[...]

                  • Choi, Jin-yong
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013

                      How about using ‘:grep’ when searching through the entire file?

                      function! Grep(pattern)

                          exe 'grep ' . a:pattern

                          let @/ = substitute(a:pattern, '/\(.*\)/.*$', '\1', '')

                          copen

                      endfunction

                      command! -nargs=+   Grep    call Grep(<q-args>) | set hls

                      cnoreabbrev   grep    Grep<Space>//<Space>%<C-Left><C-Left><Right><C-r>=Eatchar('\s')<CR>

                      (for Eatchar(), :helpgrep Eatchar )

                      I prefer Quickfix list more than ‘:print’ output. Just personal preference :)

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
                        Hi Barry!

                        On Fr, 22 Mär 2013, Barry Arthur wrote:

                        > The final version I added to SearchParty:
                        >
                        > function! PrintWithHighlighting() range
                        > let lnum = a:firstline
                        > let lnum_len = len(line('$'))
                        > for line in getline(a:firstline, a:lastline)
                        > echohl LineNr
                        > echon printf("%*s ", lnum_len, lnum)
                        > echohl none
                        > let lnum += 1
                        >
                        > let ms = match(line, @/)
                        > let me = matchend(line, @/)
                        > while ms != -1
                        > echohl none
                        > echon strpart(line, 0, ms)
                        > echohl Search
                        > echon strpart(line, ms, me - ms)
                        > echohl none
                        > let line = strpart(line, me)
                        > let ms = match(line, @/)
                        > let me = matchend(line, @/)
                        > endwhile
                        > echon line . "\n"
                        > endfor
                        > endfunction
                        >
                        > command! -range P <line1>,<line2>call PrintWithHighlighting()

                        I think, you might be getting problems, if your pattern match is
                        zero-width, e.g. searching for :g/^/P might not work correctly.

                        regards,
                        Christian

                      • Barry Arthur
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
                          Ooops! Good catch. I think this fixes it:

                          diff --git a/plugin/SearchParty.vim b/plugin/SearchParty.vim
                          index 373ffd3..2b194f7 100644
                          --- a/plugin/SearchParty.vim
                          +++ b/plugin/SearchParty.vim
                          @@ -282,7 +282,7 @@ function! PrintWithHighlighting() range

                               let ms = match(line, @/)
                               let me = matchend(line, @/)
                          -    while ms != -1
                          +    while ms != -1 && ms != me
                                 echohl none
                                 echon strpart(line, 0, ms)
                                 echohl Search

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
                            On March 21, 2013 6:52 PM, Axel Bender wrote:

                            > How about implementing a highlighting of the pattern searched for in
                            :g/.../
                            > expressions? At times the resulting list is quite long and it is difficult
                            > identify the pattern. Highlighting it would be of great benefit (at least
                            for
                            > me...).

                            First of all, I apologize for violating the "mailing rule."
                            I think my previous e-mail is somehow strange-looking unlike others'. But I
                            didn't recognize the problem. Sorry for the confusion.

                            I want to suggest to use ':grep' for searching the text and highlighting
                            them.
                            Maybe ':grep' is not in your interest. But it could make something more
                            convenient cause we can get the result in Quickfix list.

                            Here is the code. Tested only on Windows platform and vim version is
                            currently 7.3.875.