Suggestion: Highlight the search pattern in :g/.../# or :g/.../p

  • Axel Bender
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013
      How about implementing a hightlighting of the pattern searched for in :g/.../ expressions? At times the resulting list is quite long and it is difficult to identify the pattern. Highlighting it would be of great benefit (at least for me...).

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013
        Hi Axel!

        On Do, 21 Mär 2013, Axel Bender wrote:

        > How about implementing a hightlighting of the pattern searched for in :g/.../ expressions? At times the resulting list is quite long and it is difficult to identify the pattern. Highlighting it would be of great benefit (at least for me...).

        Are you possibly looking for :set hls

        regards,
        Christian
        --
        Erfahrungen - das sind die vernarbten Wunden unserer Dummheit.
        -- John Osborne

      • Ingo Karkat
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013
          On 21-Mar-13 11:02:38 +0100, Christian Brabandt wrote:

          > On Do, 21 Mär 2013, Axel Bender wrote:
          >
          >> How about implementing a hightlighting of the pattern searched for in
          >> :g/.../ expressions? At times the resulting list is quite long and it
          >> is difficult to identify the pattern. Highlighting it would be of
          >> great benefit (at least for me...).
          >
          > Are you possibly looking for :set hls

          The default [cmd] for :g is :print; I think he wishes to have the pattern
          highlighted in the :print output (which is plain text). Variants of :print and
          :number that use the buffer's syntax highlighting (and 'hls') would indeed be nice.

          -- regards, ingo

        • Jürgen Krämer
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013
            Hi,

            Axel Bender wrote:
            > How about implementing a hightlighting of the pattern searched for in
            > :g/.../ expressions? At times the resulting list is quite long and it
            > is difficult to identify the pattern. Highlighting it would be of
            > great benefit (at least for me...).

            the last time somebody asked this question I wrote this little function

            function! PrintWithHighlighting()
            let line = getline('.')
            let ms = match(line, @/)
            let me = matchend(line, @/)

            if ms != -1
            echohl none
            echo strpart(line, 0, ms)
            echohl Search
            echon strpart(line, ms, me - ms)
            echohl none
            echon strpart(line, me, strlen(line))
            else
            echo line
            endif
            endfunction

            command! P call PrintWithHighlighting()

            You can use it like this

            :g/you pattern/P

            I have never tested it much and I think I did not get any feedback if
            it behaved as wanted.

            In the same thread somebody else replied with suggesting a script that
            probably can be found on vim.org and might be tested more.
            Alas, I cannot find the original thread at the moment.

            Regards,
            Jürgen

          • Jürgen Krämer
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013
              Hi again,

              Jürgen Krämer wrote:

              > Axel Bender wrote:
              >> How about implementing a hightlighting of the pattern searched for in
              >> :g/.../ expressions? At times the resulting list is quite long and it
              >> is difficult to identify the pattern. Highlighting it would be of
              >> great benefit (at least for me...).
              >
              > the last time somebody asked this question I wrote this little function
              >
              > function! PrintWithHighlighting()
              > let line = getline('.')
              > let ms = match(line, @/)
              > let me = matchend(line, @/)
              >
              > if ms != -1
              > echohl none
              > echo strpart(line, 0, ms)
              > echohl Search
              > echon strpart(line, ms, me - ms)
              > echohl none
              > echon strpart(line, me, strlen(line))
              > else
              > echo line
              > endif
              > endfunction
              >
              > command! P call PrintWithHighlighting()
              >
              > You can use it like this
              >
              > :g/you pattern/P
              >
              > I have never tested it much and I think I did not get any feedback if
              > it behaved as wanted.

              it misses at least one feature: it only highlights the first match on a
              line.

              > In the same thread somebody else replied with suggesting a script that
              > probably can be found on vim.org and might be tested more.
              > Alas, I cannot find the original thread at the moment.

              Found it: http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip1141

              Regards,
              Jürgen

            • Barry Arthur
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013
                On Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:51:50 PM UTC+8, Axel Bender wrote:
                > How about implementing a hightlighting of the pattern searched for in :g/.../ expressions? At times the resulting list is quite long and it is difficult to identify the pattern. Highlighting it would be of great benefit (at least for me...).

                function! PrintWithHighlighting()
                let line = getline('.')
                let ms = match(line, @/)
                let me = matchend(line, @/)

                while ms != -1
                echohl none
                echon strpart(line, 0, ms)
                echohl Search
                echon strpart(line, ms, me - ms)
                echohl none
                let line = strpart(line, me)
                let ms = match(line, @/)
                let me = matchend(line, @/)
                endwhile
                echon line . "\n"
                endfunction

                command! P call PrintWithHighlighting()

              • Gary Johnson
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013
                  On 2013-03-21, Jürgen Krämer wrote:
                  > Hi again,
                  >
                  > Jürgen Krämer wrote:

                  > > In the same thread somebody else replied with suggesting a script that
                  > > probably can be found on vim.org and might be tested more.
                  > > Alas, I cannot find the original thread at the moment.
                  >
                  > Found it: http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip1141

                  I've been using that one for years, probably since it appeared in
                  2006. It works great.

                  :g/pattern/PP

                  Regards,
                  Gary

                • Axel Bender
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013
                    Thanks all!

                    Based on your input my final version (taking into account vim's number setting):

                    command! -nargs=? P :call PrintHighlighted(<q-args>)

                    function! PrintHighlighted(arg)
                    echo ""

                    if a:arg == "#" || &number
                    let l:lnum = line(".")

                    echohl LineNr
                    echon " " . repeat(" ", len(line("$")) - strlen(l:lnum)) . l:lnum . " "
                    echohl NONE
                    endif

                    let l:line = getline(".")
                    let l:pos = 0

                    while 1
                    let l:ms = match(l:line, @/, l:pos)

                    if l:ms == -1
                    echon strpart(l:line, l:pos)
                    return
                    endif

                    echon strpart(l:line, l:pos, l:ms - l:pos)

                    let l:me = matchend(l:line, @/, l:pos)

                    echohl MarkerBlue
                    echon strpart(l:line, l:ms, l:me - l:ms)
                    echohl NONE

                    if l:pos == l:me
                    echon strpart(l:line, l:me)
                    return
                    endif

                    let l:pos = l:me
                    endwhile
                    endfunction

                  • Barry Arthur
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013
                      The final version I added to SearchParty:

                      function! PrintWithHighlighting() range
                        let lnum = a:firstline
                        let lnum_len = len(line('$'))
                        for line in getline(a:firstline, a:lastline)
                          echohl LineNr
                          echon printf("%*s ", lnum_len, lnum)
                          echohl none
                          let lnum += 1

                          let ms = match(line, @/)
                          let me = matchend(line, @/)
                          while ms != -1
                            echohl none
                            echon strpart(line, 0, ms)
                            echohl Search
                            echon strpart(line, ms, me - ms)
                            echohl none
                            let line = strpart(line, me)
                            let ms = match(line, @/)
                            let me = matchend(line, @/)
                          endwhile
                          echon line . "\n"
                        endfor
                      endfunction

                      command! -range P <line1>,<line2>call PrintWithHighlighting()

                      On 22 March 2013 02:12, Axel Bender <axel.bender@...> wrote:
[...]

                    • Choi, Jin-yong
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013

                        How about using ‘:grep’ when searching through the entire file?

                        function! Grep(pattern)

                            exe 'grep ' . a:pattern

                            let @/ = substitute(a:pattern, '/\(.*\)/.*$', '\1', '')

                            copen

                        endfunction

                        command! -nargs=+   Grep    call Grep(<q-args>) | set hls

                        cnoreabbrev   grep    Grep<Space>//<Space>%<C-Left><C-Left><Right><C-r>=Eatchar('\s')<CR>

                        (for Eatchar(), :helpgrep Eatchar )

                        I prefer Quickfix list more than ‘:print’ output. Just personal preference :)

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
                          Hi Barry!

                          On Fr, 22 Mär 2013, Barry Arthur wrote:

                          > The final version I added to SearchParty:
                          >
                          > function! PrintWithHighlighting() range
                          > let lnum = a:firstline
                          > let lnum_len = len(line('$'))
                          > for line in getline(a:firstline, a:lastline)
                          > echohl LineNr
                          > echon printf("%*s ", lnum_len, lnum)
                          > echohl none
                          > let lnum += 1
                          >
                          > let ms = match(line, @/)
                          > let me = matchend(line, @/)
                          > while ms != -1
                          > echohl none
                          > echon strpart(line, 0, ms)
                          > echohl Search
                          > echon strpart(line, ms, me - ms)
                          > echohl none
                          > let line = strpart(line, me)
                          > let ms = match(line, @/)
                          > let me = matchend(line, @/)
                          > endwhile
                          > echon line . "\n"
                          > endfor
                          > endfunction
                          >
                          > command! -range P <line1>,<line2>call PrintWithHighlighting()

                          I think, you might be getting problems, if your pattern match is
                          zero-width, e.g. searching for :g/^/P might not work correctly.

                          regards,
                          Christian

                        • Barry Arthur
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
                            Ooops! Good catch. I think this fixes it:

                            diff --git a/plugin/SearchParty.vim b/plugin/SearchParty.vim
                            index 373ffd3..2b194f7 100644
                            --- a/plugin/SearchParty.vim
                            +++ b/plugin/SearchParty.vim
                            @@ -282,7 +282,7 @@ function! PrintWithHighlighting() range

                                 let ms = match(line, @/)
                                 let me = matchend(line, @/)
                            -    while ms != -1
                            +    while ms != -1 && ms != me
                                   echohl none
                                   echon strpart(line, 0, ms)
                                   echohl Search

                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
                              On March 21, 2013 6:52 PM, Axel Bender wrote:

                              > How about implementing a highlighting of the pattern searched for in
                              :g/.../
                              > expressions? At times the resulting list is quite long and it is difficult
                              > identify the pattern. Highlighting it would be of great benefit (at least
                              for
                              > me...).

                              First of all, I apologize for violating the "mailing rule."
                              I think my previous e-mail is somehow strange-looking unlike others'. But I
                              didn't recognize the problem. Sorry for the confusion.

                              I want to suggest to use ':grep' for searching the text and highlighting
                              them.
                              Maybe ':grep' is not in your interest. But it could make something more
                              convenient cause we can get the result in Quickfix list.

                              Here is the code. Tested only on Windows platform and vim version is
                              currently 7.3.875.