Syn regions and color printing conflicting...

  • Kenneth Miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2013
      I only bring this up because I want to understand vim more, and because I want to draw attention to the issue: I've posted a question on SO that explains my situation, and in keeping with brevity I want to use that here.

      http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15052044/vim-folding-with-rainbowparentheses

      Essentially, I'm finding that I can't have both. I dug into the source of the c.vim syntax files in order to understanding how folding regions work (syntax regions were marked with matching patterns and designated with fold). Apparently, when colorized braces are printed, vim no longer detects the syntax region, so folding stops working. I was wondering if there was some kind of vim fix that could fix this, and I thought since there was discussion about incorporating rainbow to work with lisp on another thread, that this was an applicable question.

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 18, 2013
        On Monday, March 18, 2013 10:47:01 AM UTC-5, Kenneth Miller wrote:
        > I only bring this up because I want to understand vim more, and because I want to draw attention to the issue: I've posted a question on SO that explains my situation, and in keeping with brevity I want to use that here.
        >
        > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15052044/vim-folding-with-rainbowparentheses
        >
        > Essentially, I'm finding that I can't have both. I dug into the source of the c.vim syntax files in order to understanding how folding regions work (syntax regions were marked with matching patterns and designated with fold). Apparently, when colorized braces are printed, vim no longer detects the syntax region, so folding stops working. I was wondering if there was some kind of vim fix that could fix this, and I thought since there was discussion about incorporating rainbow to work with lisp on another thread, that this was an applicable question.

        I'm confused, your subject talks about printing from Vim in color, but the stack overflow post talks about syntax folding not working anymore after installing rainbow parentheses plugins.

        To me this sounds like a plugin problem integrating with C++ syntax regions. This *might* be fixable by modifying the plugin to use folding just like the C/C++ syntax file, or modifying the plugin to better account for C/C++ syntax rules, I'd suggest one of these two methods first (or get the plugin maintainer to do it for you). You can also try hacking the C/C++ syntax file but then it becomes a problem of maintaining your custom additions whenever a new version of the official file comes out. Is there some printing question hidden here that I'm missing?