Re: "." fails to repeat the last executed operator with ":normal v"

  • glts
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 17, 2013

      On Saturday, March 16, 2013 12:06:50 PM UTC+1, glts wrote:
      > Here are the contents of the redo buffer when ...

      The "repeat.vim" plugin was created to solve this problem but it doesn't
      work for omaps neither. I don't know if you saw it but there is some
      discussion here:

      https://github.com/tpope/vim-repeat/issues/8

      In my opinion, the redo buffer should be the same in both of your
      examples, namely "d:call Select()\n". But since there is only one redo
      buffer and you can call functions/:normal recursively, there's always
      the chance of it being overwritten.

      Folks, would it make sense to add another "top-level" redo buffer? This
      would be left untouched by nested :normal commands.

    • Kana Natsuno
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 17, 2013
        On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 8:03 PM, glts wrote:
        > The "repeat.vim" plugin was created to solve this problem but it doesn't
        > work for omaps neither. I don't know if you saw it but there is some
        > discussion here:
        >
        > https://github.com/tpope/vim-repeat/issues/8

        I already saw the discussion, because several people asked me about
        repeatability of custom text objects implemented with vim-textobj-user
        and most of them also told me the link.

        But I don't believe that repeat.vim is a right solution for the problem.
        repeat.vim is to enable repeatability for custom operators which take
        extra arguments such as a {target} for ys{motion}{target} provided by
        surround.vim. Repeatability of custom motions and custom text objects
        should be covered by another layer. Especially, the "solution" posted
        in the discussion

        https://github.com/tpope/vim-repeat/issues/8#issuecomment-13951082

        does not work with custom operators using repeat.vim.

        > In my opinion, the redo buffer should be the same in both of your
        > examples, namely "d:call Select()\n". But since there is only one redo
        > buffer and you can call functions/:normal recursively, there's always
        > the chance of it being overwritten.
        >
        > Folks, would it make sense to add another "top-level" redo buffer? This
        > would be left untouched by nested :normal commands.

        Thank you for the summary. It seems to be reasonable for me, but there
        might be drawbacks about compatibility or difficulty for further
        maintenance. I'd like to hear others' opinions.

      • glts
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 19, 2013
          On Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:35:08 PM UTC+1, Kana Natsuno wrote:
          > I often define my own text objects. But I noticed that some of them are
          > not correctly repeatable with the "." command. I investigated the cause
          > of the problem, and found a strange behavior about repeating an operator
          > which is executed with a ":" command as a motion.

          At this point I believe this is a bug. Consider the following commands,
          typed in normal mode:

          (1) d:call setpos(".",[0,2,5,0])
          (2) d:normal! e
          (3) dv:normal! viw
          (4) d:normal! viw

          Commands (1) to (3) work exactly as expected: "delete to line 2 column
          5; to the end of the word; the inner word". And they are repeatable with
          the dot command, because they are put in the redo buffer exactly as
          typed.

          Command (4) works as expected, but it isn't repeatable because the
          command isn't correctly put in the redo buffer.

          This is unfortunate. In Operator-pending mode, selecting something in
          Visual mode is special: Like Kana said, it is the only way to define
          complex text objects (see :h omap-info). So this is an issue that needs
          fixing.

        • Sung Pae
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 19, 2013
            On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 05:08:29AM -0700, Kana Natsuno wrote:

            > Especially, the "solution" posted in the discussion
            >
            > https://github.com/tpope/vim-repeat/issues/8#issuecomment-13951082
            >
            > does not work with custom operators using repeat.vim.

            While I do hope Vim will gain native support for repeating custom
            commands with `.`, I would like to point out that the posted solution,
            while hackish, indeed does work with custom operators, custom motions,
            and even in combination.

            I am close to releasing a plugin with 18 custom text objects and cursor
            motions for S-Expressions, and I have a satisfactory¹ implementation of
            repeatable operator-pending commands here:

            https://github.com/guns/vim-sexp/blob/90cc836e9c83d4b96c6c5e971febc33a5d73f7e7/plugin/sexp.vim#L103..L132

            The motion mappings created by the above function work with both native
            operators and with the custom operators provided by two other plugins by
            Tim Pope: vim-surround and vim-commentary. I don't know offhand if Tim
            had to put in any extra work to make this possible, but I don't believe
            so.

            Sung Pae

            ¹ Not perfect. The `c` command is special cased for now and the final
            position of the cursor is sometimes different than with native
            operations, but I think both issues could be resolved with some
            ingenuity.

          • Sung Pae
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 19, 2013
              On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 05:21:42PM -0500, Sung Pae wrote:
              > On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 05:08:29AM -0700, Kana Natsuno wrote:
              >
              > > Especially, the "solution" posted in the discussion
              > >
              > > https://github.com/tpope/vim-repeat/issues/8#issuecomment-13951082
              > >
              > > does not work with custom operators using repeat.vim.
              >
              > While I do hope Vim will gain native support for repeating custom
              > commands with `.`

              Apologies for replying to myself here, but I wish to emphasize that I
              am in _complete_ agreement with Kana Natsuno about his proposal. This
              should optimally "just work" without any of the hackery I've posted.

              Operators + cursor motions are one of the pillars of the Vim editing
              philosophy and fixing this issue would definitely encourage people to
              create their own innovative FileType-specific motions.

              I would be happy to supply a patch if it is acknowledged as a bug, and
              if Kana is not already in the midst of a solution.

              Sung Pae

            • glts
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 19, 2013
                On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 11:52:35 PM UTC+1, Sung Pae wrote:
                > Apologies for replying to myself here, but I wish to emphasize that I
                > am in _complete_ agreement with Kana Natsuno about his proposal. This
                > should optimally "just work" without any of the hackery I've posted.
                >
                > Operators + cursor motions are one of the pillars of the Vim editing
                > philosophy and fixing this issue would definitely encourage people to
                > create their own innovative FileType-specific motions.
                >
                > I would be happy to supply a patch if it is acknowledged as a bug, and
                > if Kana is not already in the midst of a solution.

                I don't know if you saw my other post (Google groups separated it for
                some reason) but this has to be a bug. Compare:

                dv:norm! viw
                d:norm! viw

                The first one is put into the redo buffer as is, the second one isn't
                (the redo buffer contains "vd" in the second case). The only difference
                is the motion force ("v") after the operator.

                Looking at the source, I get the impression that this is simply an issue
                of an improperly defined condition. I have a working two-line patch
                which fixes this but I'd rather give it a little more time.

              • Kana Natsuno
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 19, 2013
                  On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 7:21 AM, Sung Pae wrote:
                  > On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 05:08:29AM -0700, Kana Natsuno wrote:
                  >
                  >> Especially, the "solution" posted in the discussion
                  >>
                  >> https://github.com/tpope/vim-repeat/issues/8#issuecomment-13951082
                  >>
                  >> does not work with custom operators using repeat.vim.
                  >
                  > While I do hope Vim will gain native support for repeating custom
                  > commands with `.`, I would like to point out that the posted solution,
                  > while hackish, indeed does work with custom operators, custom motions,
                  > and even in combination.

                  No. The "solution" does not work in every situation, especially for
                  a combination of a custom operator and a custom text object that use
                  repeat.vim.

                  > I am close to releasing a plugin with 18 custom text objects and cursor
                  > motions for S-Expressions, and I have a satisfactory¹ implementation of
                  > repeatable operator-pending commands here:
                  >
                  > https://github.com/guns/vim-sexp/blob/90cc836e9c83d4b96c6c5e971febc33a5d73f7e7/plugin/sexp.vim#L103..L132
                  >
                  > The motion mappings created by the above function work with both native
                  > operators and with the custom operators provided by two other plugins by
                  > Tim Pope: vim-surround and vim-commentary.

                  Really? Suppose that we invoke a new Vim process with the following
                  environment:

                  $ git clone git://github.com/tpope/vim-repeat.git
                  $ cd vim-repeat
                  $ git checkout a81bef76031ca1c71766b516417480caeb01c932
                  $ cd ..
                  $ git clone git://github.com/guns/vim-sexp.git
                  $ cd vim-surround
                  $ git checkout 90cc836e9c83d4b96c6c5e971febc33a5d73f7e7
                  $ cd ..
                  $ git clone git://github.com/tpope/vim-surround.git
                  $ cd vim-surround
                  $ git checkout 02199ea0080d744ec76b79d74ce56d51d25cf7ae
                  $ cd ..
                  $ vim -u NONE -i NONE -N -c "
                  syntax enable |
                  set runtimepath+=$PWD/vim-repeat,$PWD/vim-sexp,$PWD/vim-surround |
                  runtime! plugin/sexp.vim plugin/surround.vim
                  "

                  Then `:setfiletype scheme` and paste the following snippet:

                  (let ((a b) (c d))
                  code)
                  (let ((e f)) more-code)

                  Suppose that we do

                  (1) `1ggf(` (move the cursor the second "(" in the first line)
                  (2) `ysabr` (surround the "(...)" block with "[" and "]"),
                  (3) `3ggf(` (move the cursor the second "(" in the third line)
                  (4) `.` (repeat (2), the last edit command)

                  We'll get the following result:

                  (let [((a b) (c d))]
                  code)
                  (let [((e f))] more-code)

                  If we do the following steps on the same snippet:

                  (1) `1ggf(`
                  (2) `ysafr` (surround the current form with "[" and "]"),
                  (3) `3ggf(`
                  (4) `.`

                  We'll get the following result:

                  (let [((a b) (c d))]
                  code)
                  (let [((e f)) more-]code)

                  That's why I don't believe that the "solution" is not a right way to
                  solve this problem. It does not provide repeatability for every
                  combination.

                • Sung Pae
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 19, 2013
                    On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 04:39:11PM -0700, Kana Natsuno wrote:

                    > On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 7:21 AM, Sung Pae wrote:
                    >
                    > > The motion mappings created by the above function work with both
                    > > native operators and with the custom operators provided by two other
                    > > plugins by Tim Pope: vim-surround and vim-commentary.
                    >
                    > Really? Suppose that we invoke a new Vim process with the following
                    > environment:

                    Yes, this combination does fail due to the implementation of the `ys`
                    operator. This can be ameliorated, but it would not be pretty.

                    Other combinations do not fail (like the `gc` vim-commentary operator
                    with the `af` text object), and the native operators with custom text
                    objects work well.

                    Again, this is a hack against the constraints of the bug you have
                    pointed out, which I am very much in favor of seeing fixed. Do you have
                    a patch to supply to the list, or should I look into it?

                    Sung Pae

                  • Yukihiro Nakadaira
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 20, 2013
                      Perhaps this works?

                      onoremap foo :<C-u>call Select()<CR>
                      function! Select()
                        execute "normal! viw\<Esc>"
                      endfunction

                    • Yukihiro Nakadaira
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 20, 2013
                        On Wednesday, March 20, 2013 10:49:19 PM UTC+9, Yukihiro Nakadaira wrote:
                        > Perhaps this works?
                        >
                        > onoremap foo :<C-u>call Select()<CR>
                        > function! Select()
                        >   execute "normal! viw\<Esc>"
                        > endfunction

                        Oops, this doesn't work. Sorry for noise.

                      • glts
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 23, 2013
                          Hi

                          On Wednesday, March 20, 2013 1:07:53 AM UTC+1, Sung Pae wrote:
                          > On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 04:39:11PM -0700, Kana Natsuno wrote:
                          >

                          > > On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 7:21 AM, Sung Pae wrote:
                          >

                          > > > The motion mappings created by the above function work with both
                          >
                          > > > native operators and with the custom operators provided by two other
                          >
                          > > > plugins by Tim Pope: vim-surround and vim-commentary.
                          >

                          > > Really? Suppose that we invoke a new Vim process with the following
                          >
                          > > environment:

                          > Yes, this combination does fail due to the implementation of the `ys`
                          >
                          > operator. This can be ameliorated, but it would not be pretty.
                          >

                          > Other combinations do not fail (like the `gc` vim-commentary operator
                          >
                          > with the `af` text object), and the native operators with custom text
                          >
                          > objects work well.
                          >

                          > Again, this is a hack against the constraints of the bug you have
                          >
                          > pointed out, which I am very much in favor of seeing fixed. Do you have
                          >
                          > a patch to supply to the list, or should I look into it?
                          >

                          > Sung Pae

                          I spent some time looking into this. Attached is a first *proposal* for
                          a patch for the current Vim version 7.3.875, which -- I believe -- fixes
                          this.

                          However, the code surrounding Visual mode and operators is rather ...
                          tricky to say the least, so I urge you to look it over carefully, and
                          comment on whether you think it is correct or how it could be improved.

                          There has not been any response on the status of this issue. Operators
                          and text objects are two of the major advantages Vim has over other
                          editors. So I believe it is essential to let users leverage the full
                          power of their own custom operators and text objects by making them
                          repeatable with the dot command.

                          David Bürgin

                        • Sung Pae
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 23, 2013
                            On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 09:56:58AM -0700, glts wrote:

                            > I spent some time looking into this. Attached is a first *proposal*
                            > for a patch for the current Vim version 7.3.875, which -- I believe --
                            > fixes this.

                            I can confirm it works for simple repeats of custom motions with `d` and
                            `c` operators, as well the custom `ys` operator that Kana showed was
                            problematic.

                            > However, the code surrounding Visual mode and operators is rather ...
                            > tricky to say the least, so I urge you to look it over carefully,
                            > and comment on whether you think it is correct or how it could be
                            > improved.

                            I see two issues on first glance:

                            * Counts are not repeated; d2x (x being a custom motion) repeats as
                            dx only
                            * Making a visual selection with a custom operator clobbers the redo

                            It's promising that your small patch enables so much of the desired
                            functionality. Please continue!

                            > There has not been any response on the status of this issue. Operators
                            > and text objects are two of the major advantages Vim has over other
                            > editors. So I believe it is essential to let users leverage the full
                            > power of their own custom operators and text objects by making them
                            > repeatable with the dot command.

                            Perhaps we will be able to convince Bram if the solution is clean and
                            unobtrusive.

                            Sung Pae

                          • glts
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 24, 2013
                              Sung Pae, thank you for your feedback.

                              On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 12:40 AM, Sung Pae <self@...> wrote:
                              > I see two issues on first glance:
                              >
                              > * Counts are not repeated; d2x (x being a custom motion) repeats as
                              > dx only

                              Yes, but this is due to another bug. My patch does not affect this.

                              The v:count variables are treated differently in omaps. Compare:

                              :nnoremap <silent> x :<C-U>exe "norm! d".v:count1."e"<CR>
                              :onoremap <silent> x :<C-U>exe "norm! ".v:count1."e"<CR>

                              If you try the normal mode mapping, e.g. "2x", then the dot command will
                              have the same effect as "2x". You can also override the count by giving
                              a count to the dot command, e.g. "3.". This is the expected behaviour.

                              The omap on the other hand doesn't work like that. Try "d2x" and then
                              repeat with the dot command: The original count is not used. You have to
                              use "2." to get the same as with "d2x".

                              This is a different issue, and I'd rather put it off for the moment.

                              > * Making a visual selection with a custom operator clobbers the redo

                              Can you give an example? I don't see the problem.

                            • Sung Pae
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 24, 2013
                                On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 06:43:47PM +0100, glts wrote:

                                > On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 12:40 AM, Sung Pae <self@...> wrote:
                                > > I see two issues on first glance:
                                > >
                                > > * Counts are not repeated; d2x (x being a custom motion) repeats as
                                > > dx only
                                >
                                > Yes, but this is due to another bug. My patch does not affect this.
                                >
                                > The v:count variables are treated differently in omaps. Compare:

                                Ah yes, you're totally correct. I remember now that I had to work
                                around that myself by saving v:count to a buffer-local variable on omap
                                invocation, then string-replace the v:count variable in the omap rhs
                                with the buffer-local "b:_count", so that the cached value would be used
                                on repeat. It was very nasty, but it worked.

                                > This is a different issue, and I'd rather put it off for the moment.

                                Yes, I imagine a new count variable needs to be created to handle omaps.

                                > > * Making a visual selection with a custom operator clobbers the redo
                                >
                                > Can you give an example? I don't see the problem.

                                I apologize, that was a bit vague.

                                Let's create a simple (and incomplete) custom motion:

                                function! SelectInCaps()
                                let [bl, bc] = searchpos('\u', 'cbW')
                                let [el, ec] = searchpos('.\u\ze', 'W')
                                call setpos("'<", [0, bl, bc, 0])
                                call setpos("'>", [0, el, ec, 0])
                                normal! gv
                                endfunction

                                Then map it to both visual and operator-pending modes:

                                vmap ic :<C-U>call SelectInCaps()<CR>
                                omap ic :<C-U>call SelectInCaps()<CR>

                                Repeating the command dic with the . command works now with your patch:

                                Foo|BarBazQuux
                                Foo|BazQuux " dic
                                Foo|Quuz " .

                                However, if we invoke vic after running dic, the . command no longer has
                                any affect:

                                Foo|BarBazQuux
                                Foo|BazQuux " dic
                                Foo|BazQuux " vic<Esc>
                                Foo|BazQuux " .

                                This is not true of the builtin motions like `aw`; visual commands do
                                not clobber the repeat buffer (or however it may work).

                                Thank you for your work on this!

                                Sung Pae

                              • glts
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 25, 2013
                                  On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 2:08 AM, Sung Pae <self@...> wrote:
                                  > Let's create a simple (and incomplete) custom motion:
                                  >
                                  > function! SelectInCaps()
                                  > let [bl, bc] = searchpos('\u', 'cbW')
                                  > let [el, ec] = searchpos('.\u\ze', 'W')
                                  > call setpos("'<", [0, bl, bc, 0])
                                  > call setpos("'>", [0, el, ec, 0])
                                  > normal! gv
                                  > endfunction
                                  >
                                  > Then map it to both visual and operator-pending modes:
                                  >
                                  > vmap ic :<C-U>call SelectInCaps()<CR>
                                  > omap ic :<C-U>call SelectInCaps()<CR>
                                  >
                                  > Repeating the command dic with the . command works now with your patch:
                                  >
                                  > Foo|BarBazQuux
                                  > Foo|BazQuux " dic
                                  > Foo|Quuz " .
                                  >
                                  > However, if we invoke vic after running dic, the . command no longer has
                                  > any affect:
                                  >
                                  > Foo|BarBazQuux
                                  > Foo|BazQuux " dic
                                  > Foo|BazQuux " vic<Esc>
                                  > Foo|BazQuux " .

                                  Yes, sorry, and thanks for reporting. Operator and Visual mode handling
                                  isn't easy and I'm learning it the hard way ...

                                  Anyway, after another session in the debugger I came up with the slight
                                  amendment in the attachment. If you would like to try it, be my guest. I
                                  hope I can find the time to write a few tests.

                                  David

                                • Sung Pae
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 25, 2013
                                    On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 10:14:48PM +0100, glts wrote:

                                    > On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 2:08 AM, Sung Pae <self@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Let's create a simple (and incomplete) custom motion: …
                                    >
                                    > Anyway, after another session in the debugger I came up with the
                                    > slight amendment in the attachment. If you would like to try it, be my
                                    > guest. I hope I can find the time to write a few tests.

                                    Yes, this definitely solves the problem with visual selections clearing
                                    the repeat. I tried poking around a bit more, and I couldn't find any
                                    obvious problems, which is exciting.

                                    All that appears to be left to achieve parity with builtin cursor
                                    motions is the issue with v:count. I will report any problems should I
                                    find them.

                                    Thank you for looking into this.

                                    Sung Pae