Re: 'g' and 'G' in more-prompt

  • cptstubing
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 15, 2013
      The Moolmeister wrote:
      > The problem is that this message must fit in one line, and adding more
      > text makes it wrap.

      I can appreciate that. What if you moved the usage message to the first column instead of appending it to the "-- More --" that's already there and abbreviate "page/line" to "pg/ln"? Now it's only a net addition of one column:

      2919d2918
      < screen_puts(s, (int)Rows - 1, 0, attr);
      2920a2920
      > {
      2922,2923c2922,2928
      < _(" SPACE/d/j: screen/page/line down, b/u/k: up, q: quit "),
      < (int)Rows - 1, vim_strsize(s), attr);
      ---
      > _("SPACE/d/j: screen/pg/ln down, b/u/k: up, first/last: g/G, q: quit "),
      > (int)Rows - 1, 0, attr);
      > }
      > else
      > {
      > screen_puts(s, (int)Rows - 1, 0, attr);
      > }

      > I only see the problem for when there are just a couple of lines.
      > Not when it's more than a screen.

      Right, it appears to be something about the use of MSG_PUTS_ATTR to display the "Press ENTER..." message. I'll take a closer look and see if I can find a resolution for this case when I have some more time.

      Ahoy,
      CS

    • cptstubing
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 16, 2013
        Please see details of several issues here:
        https://code.google.com/r/cptstubing06-vimmoremsg/

        Update to message.c:
        https://code.google.com/r/cptstubing06-vimmoremsg/source/detail?r=37b0480ae9ff3811cdd6bee7e0007365f1c7e21b#

        Update to docs/message.txt:
        https://code.google.com/r/cptstubing06-vimmoremsg/source/detail?r=555f98f7c62d4b3e6679e33fbfc9a19557fe48c8#

        I understand if you don't want to abandon the same old usage message, but I still think a huge majority of users don't know about g and G in there.

        Please consider the other fixes.

        - CS