Re: what happened to luxi mono?

  • Charles Campbell
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 13, 2013
      Charles Campbell wrote:
      > Hello!
      >
      > I seem to have run into a font problem -- as in the font I was using,
      > "Luxi Mono 10", is no longer a valid font.
      >
      > Here's what happened:
      >
      > * used gvim with Luxi Mono 10
      > * broke for lunch
      > * returned
      > * updated vim from 7.3.784 to 7.3.796
      > * Luxi mono font no longer available

      <snip>

      FYI: I still can't build gvim to use Luxi Mono on my main work
      computer; however, I can build a gvim on another computer that hasn't
      been damaged by the updating process I'm stuck with -- and that gvim
      does work on my main work computer (with Luxi Mono/gtk).

      Thank you for your help!
      Chip Campbell

    • Charles Campbell
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 23, 2014
        Hello!

        I thought I'd share the "solution" to "what happened to luxi mono?",
        just in case anyone else was being afflicted in a similar fashion:

        * symptom: the font I prefer to use, Luxi Mono Bold 11, was no longer
        available (I use a lot of math-oriented utf-8 characters, which Luxi
        Mono supports well)
        * Turns out that I wasn't getting gnome-gtk2 anymore during new
        compiles; instead, I was getting motif, hence no luxi mono
        * I get "automatic updates" on my system (Scientific Linux 6.4) (not
        that I want them, its just the way It Has To Be on my government computer)
        * fallback solution: I compiled vim on my home computer (SL6.3) and
        brought the executable to work (via ftp, since we're not to use
        flashsticks anymore)
        * new symptom, just happened a day or two ago: I was not getting any vim
        menus.
        * tried a backup version of vim (also compiled on my home computer) from
        a month ago -- it too exhibited the "no vim menu" issue. That vim
        certainly didn't used to have that problem...
        * all versions of vim tried had +menu and has("gui_running") was true
        * got suspicious that auto-updating was involved, so I recompiled vim on
        my work computer, which I haven't bothered to do for many months. It
        successfully compiled with gtk and had menus!

        So, thanks goes to whomever fixed the gtk system on SL6.4.

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell