Issue 118 in vim: `cib` doesn't work at the start of a line, while `ci'` does

  • vim@...
      Owner: ----
      Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

      New issue 118 by randomen...@...: `cib` doesn't work at the start of
      a line, while `ci'` does

      What steps will reproduce the problem?
      1. Be in normal mode editing the line "this is (a test)", with your cursor
      at the start of the line
      2. type `cib` or `ci(` from normal mode

      I should be in insert mode with my cursor right after the (now empty)
      parens, like this: "this is (|)" where '|' is the cursor

      I'm not sure if this wasn't implemented because parens and braces sometimes
      span multiple lines, but `ci'` doesn't work on multiple lines, and I don't
      think it really has to, but I would like this to work for other text
      objects. I'll see if I can't whip up a patch, but don't hold your breath
      because I haven't done C in awhile!

      issue notifications to this address.

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8, 2013
        Comment #1 on issue 118 by fritzoph...@...: `cib` doesn't work at the
        start of a line, while `ci'` does

        This is intentional. It's no just about multiple lines, it's about nesting.
        Consider

        1. if (
        2. a &&
        3. (b || c) &&
        4. d)

        If you place the cursor at the beginning of line 3, vab will select text on
        all four lines, because the cursor is immediately inside the parenthesis
        block starting at line 1 and ending at line 4. If your suggestion is
        implemented, only "(b || c)" on line 3 would be selected. This would break
        things in annoying and unexpected ways for things like =ab in C code.

        issue notifications to this address.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 8, 2013
          Comment #2 on issue 118 by randomen...@...: `cib` doesn't work at the
          start of a line, while `ci'` does

          Gotcha. I guess I'm not acquainted with the internals of how textobjects
          work, so I didn't think about how it might break other features. Thanks
          for the info, feel free to close :)

          issue notifications to this address.

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 8, 2013
            Updates: