Re: runtime/doc/tags not ignored

  • Benjamin R. Haskell
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 8, 2013
      On Thu, 7 Mar 2013, John Little wrote:

      > I have runtime/doc/tags in my .hgignore file
      > , but [...]
      >
      > [...] the changed comment says
      >
      > HG: changed runtime/doc/tags
      >
      > Why isn't this ignored?

      .hgignore only applies to items that aren't already committed to the
      repository. So you can't ignore it that way.

      runtime/doc/tags probably shouldn't be in the repository in the first
      place. Neither should src/auto/configure. Both of those things are
      generated from other files that are in the repo.

      --
      Best,
      Ben H

    • Taylor Hedberg
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 8, 2013
        Benjamin R. Haskell, Fri 2013-03-08 @ 10:43:51-0500:
        > runtime/doc/tags probably shouldn't be in the repository in the
        > first place. Neither should src/auto/configure. Both of those
        > things are generated from other files that are in the repo.

        While it is true that configure scripts are generated from other source
        files, it is customary to commit them to version control anyway so that
        users can build the software without having to install and use
        Autotools.
      • Bovy, Stephen
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 8, 2013
          Yes

          This is especially relevant for platforms like IBM z/OS where auto-tools may not be available :)

          > runtime/doc/tags probably shouldn't be in the repository in the first
          > place. Neither should src/auto/configure. Both of those things are
          > generated from other files that are in the repo.

          While it is true that configure scripts are generated from other source files, it is customary to commit them to version control anyway so that users can build the software without having to install and use Autotools.

        • James McCoy
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 8, 2013

            On Mar 8, 2013 10:12 AM, "Ben Fritz" <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
            > Or are you asking WHY it's part of the repository?
            >
            > Probably to avoid the need of running :helptags after building Vim from source, but Bram would know that better. I like it, personally.

            The build process already generates the tag file (installrtbase rule), so that wouldn't be necessary.  This sometimes causes the tag file to become "dirty" if runtime files add tags but the committed tag file isn't updated.

          • Benjamin R. Haskell
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 8, 2013
              On Fri, 8 Mar 2013, Bovy, Stephen wrote:

> [...]

              Sure. But that can be done as some kind of "source release" step,
              couldn't it? It's pretty common for there to be two kinds of source
              distributions: directly from revision control (where things that are
              generated aren't included, and there's some kind of "autogen.sh" script)
              and "snapshot", where a version that can be "./configure && make && sudo
              make install"'ed.

              I guess it's not that big a deal to have them in there. It's just
              annoying to have a 14,000 line file in the repo, virtually all of which
              changes if you try to regenerate it with a slightly-different version of
              autoconf.

              So... I'll drop the issue for configure.

              How about runtime/docs/tags? That one's generated by the doctags.c file
              in that same dir as part of a normal build.

              --
              Best,
              Ben

            • Tony Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 10, 2013
                On 08/03/13 02:38, John Little wrote:
                > I have runtime/doc/tags in my .hgignore file, but most times I update with
                >
                > hg fetch --switch-parent
                >
                > I'm told
                >
                > abort: outstanding uncommitted changes
                >
                > so I run hg commit, and the changed comment says
                >
                > HG: changed runtime/doc/tags
                >
                > Why isn't this ignored?
                >
                > Regards, John Little

                I also use fetch --switch-parent but I have a local unnamed
                (topological) branch (inside the default -named- branch) which is merged
                at each fetch. It contains a few small changes to .hgignore and
                src/feature.h; it also has runtime/doc/tags "deleted" (see hg help
                remove). Whenever there is a change to runtime/doc/tags on Bram's repo,
                the fetch asks me if I want to import or delete the file (Hint: if you
                are logging Mercurial output by |tee logfilename, then in order to see
                the prompt you need PYTHONUNBUFFERED set to some nonempty string in the
                environment: I use PYTHONUNBUFFERED=unbuffered) so I hit d<Enter> and
                everything goes well.

                Another bucket of what can only be described as human ordure hits
                ARTHUR.
                ARTHUR: ... Right! (to the KNIGHTS) That settles it!
                PICTURES LTD