runtime/doc/tags not ignored

  • John Little
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 7 5:38 PM
      I have runtime/doc/tags in my .hgignore file, but most times I update with

      hg fetch --switch-parent

      I'm told

      abort: outstanding uncommitted changes

      so I run hg commit, and the changed comment says

      HG: changed runtime/doc/tags

      Why isn't this ignored?

      Regards, John Little

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 8 7:12 AM
        On Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:38:27 PM UTC-6, John Little wrote:
        > I have runtime/doc/tags in my .hgignore file, but most times I update with
        >
        > hg fetch --switch-parent
        >
        > I'm told
        >
        > abort: outstanding uncommitted changes
        >
        > so I run hg commit, and the changed comment says
        >
        > HG: changed runtime/doc/tags
        >
        > Why isn't this ignored?
        >
        > Regards, John Little

        Why would it be ignored? It's part of the repository:

        https://code.google.com/p/vim/source/browse/runtime/doc/tags

        Or are you asking WHY it's part of the repository?

        Probably to avoid the need of running :helptags after building Vim from source, but Bram would know that better. I like it, personally.

      • Benjamin R. Haskell
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 8 7:43 AM
          On Thu, 7 Mar 2013, John Little wrote:

          > I have runtime/doc/tags in my .hgignore file
          > , but [...]
          >
          > [...] the changed comment says
          >
          > HG: changed runtime/doc/tags
          >
          > Why isn't this ignored?

          .hgignore only applies to items that aren't already committed to the
          repository. So you can't ignore it that way.

          runtime/doc/tags probably shouldn't be in the repository in the first
          place. Neither should src/auto/configure. Both of those things are
          generated from other files that are in the repo.

          --
          Best,
          Ben H

        • Taylor Hedberg
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 8 8:03 AM
            Benjamin R. Haskell, Fri 2013-03-08 @ 10:43:51-0500:
            > runtime/doc/tags probably shouldn't be in the repository in the
            > first place. Neither should src/auto/configure. Both of those
            > things are generated from other files that are in the repo.

            While it is true that configure scripts are generated from other source
            files, it is customary to commit them to version control anyway so that
            users can build the software without having to install and use
            Autotools.
          • Bovy, Stephen
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 8 8:41 AM
              Yes

              This is especially relevant for platforms like IBM z/OS where auto-tools may not be available :)

              > runtime/doc/tags probably shouldn't be in the repository in the first
              > place. Neither should src/auto/configure. Both of those things are
              > generated from other files that are in the repo.

              While it is true that configure scripts are generated from other source files, it is customary to commit them to version control anyway so that users can build the software without having to install and use Autotools.

            • James McCoy
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 8 8:47 AM

                On Mar 8, 2013 10:12 AM, "Ben Fritz" <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
                > Or are you asking WHY it's part of the repository?
                >
                > Probably to avoid the need of running :helptags after building Vim from source, but Bram would know that better. I like it, personally.

                The build process already generates the tag file (installrtbase rule), so that wouldn't be necessary.  This sometimes causes the tag file to become "dirty" if runtime files add tags but the committed tag file isn't updated.

              • Benjamin R. Haskell
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 8 10:08 AM
                  On Fri, 8 Mar 2013, Bovy, Stephen wrote:

> [...]

                  Sure. But that can be done as some kind of "source release" step,
                  couldn't it? It's pretty common for there to be two kinds of source
                  distributions: directly from revision control (where things that are
                  generated aren't included, and there's some kind of "autogen.sh" script)
                  and "snapshot", where a version that can be "./configure && make && sudo
                  make install"'ed.

                  I guess it's not that big a deal to have them in there. It's just
                  annoying to have a 14,000 line file in the repo, virtually all of which
                  changes if you try to regenerate it with a slightly-different version of
                  autoconf.

                  So... I'll drop the issue for configure.

                  How about runtime/docs/tags? That one's generated by the doctags.c file
                  in that same dir as part of a normal build.

                  --
                  Best,
                  Ben

                • Tony Mechelynck
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 10 3:56 AM
                    On 08/03/13 02:38, John Little wrote:
                    > I have runtime/doc/tags in my .hgignore file, but most times I update with
                    >
                    > hg fetch --switch-parent
                    >
                    > I'm told
                    >
                    > abort: outstanding uncommitted changes
                    >
                    > so I run hg commit, and the changed comment says
                    >
                    > HG: changed runtime/doc/tags
                    >
                    > Why isn't this ignored?
                    >
                    > Regards, John Little

                    I also use fetch --switch-parent but I have a local unnamed
                    (topological) branch (inside the default -named- branch) which is merged
                    at each fetch. It contains a few small changes to .hgignore and
                    src/feature.h; it also has runtime/doc/tags "deleted" (see hg help
                    remove). Whenever there is a change to runtime/doc/tags on Bram's repo,
                    the fetch asks me if I want to import or delete the file (Hint: if you
                    are logging Mercurial output by |tee logfilename, then in order to see
                    the prompt you need PYTHONUNBUFFERED set to some nonempty string in the
                    environment: I use PYTHONUNBUFFERED=unbuffered) so I hit d<Enter> and
                    everything goes well.

                    Another bucket of what can only be described as human ordure hits
                    ARTHUR.
                    ARTHUR: ... Right! (to the KNIGHTS) That settles it!
                    PICTURES LTD