Patch: Make :vimgrep // * reuse the last search pattern

  • glts
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2013
      The commands :s//string/, :g//, and :sort // all use the last search
      pattern when an empty pattern is given. :vimgrep // *, however, does
      not.

      The attached patch makes :vimgrep // * behave like the other search
      commands.

      Details
      -------

      Trying and refining a search pattern and then using it with :s//string/
      and :g// is a common editing pattern in Vim. But this doesn't work with
      :vimgrep. Surprisingly, :vimgrep // * matches *everywhere*.

      Why does it match everywhere? Regdump() output shows that "//" is
      compiled to the following regexp:

      regcomp():
      1:BRANCH(7)
      4:NOTHING(7)
      7:END(0)

      All Vim puts in the compiled regexp program is a zero-width NOTHING
      atom. NOTHING doesn't assert anything and matches the empty string, i.e.
      everywhere (like :vimgrep /\ze/ *).

      As far as I am aware, this behaviour is not documented. At least for
      :vimgrep it doesn't serve any purpose. (In fact, I can't think of any
      situation where a completely empty regexp would be appropriate.)

      The attached patch makes :vimgrep reuse the last search pattern, in the
      same way :g and :s do (and :sort).

      David Bürgin

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2013
        David Bürgin wrote:

        > The commands :s//string/, :g//, and :sort // all use the last search
        > pattern when an empty pattern is given. :vimgrep // *, however, does
        > not.
        >
        > The attached patch makes :vimgrep // * behave like the other search
        > commands.
        >
        > Details
        > -------
        >
        > Trying and refining a search pattern and then using it with :s//string/
        > and :g// is a common editing pattern in Vim. But this doesn't work with
        > :vimgrep. Surprisingly, :vimgrep // * matches *everywhere*.
        >
        > Why does it match everywhere? Regdump() output shows that "//" is
        > compiled to the following regexp:
        >
        > regcomp():
        > 1:BRANCH(7)
        > 4:NOTHING(7)
        > 7:END(0)
        >
        > All Vim puts in the compiled regexp program is a zero-width NOTHING
        > atom. NOTHING doesn't assert anything and matches the empty string, i.e.
        > everywhere (like :vimgrep /\ze/ *).
        >
        > As far as I am aware, this behaviour is not documented. At least for
        > :vimgrep it doesn't serve any purpose. (In fact, I can't think of any
        > situation where a completely empty regexp would be appropriate.)
        >
        > The attached patch makes :vimgrep reuse the last search pattern, in the
        > same way :g and :s do (and :sort).

        Thanks!

        13. Go to a poetry recital and ask why the poems don't rhyme.