Patch: Error message when pattern not found in :g/re/

  • glts
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2013
      This patch fixes the following item from the todo list:

      8 ":g//" gives "Pattern not found error" with E486. Should not
      use the error number, it's not a regular error message.

      On the contrary, an error message with error highlighting *should* be
      output to be consistent with the other search commands. The other search
      commands all give an error message with error code in this situation:

      /nil<CR> E486: Pattern not found ...
      :s/nil/ E486: Pattern not found ...
      :/nil/,/nil/g/re/p E486: Pattern not found ...
      :vimgrep /nil/ * E480: No match ...
      :tag nil E426: tag not found ...

      The attached patch fixes this inconsistency.

      David Bürgin

    • glts
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2013
        Here's the patch again, this time with the updated runtime/doc/todo.txt
        included.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2013
          David Bürgin wrote:

          > This patch fixes the following item from the todo list:
          >
          > 8 ":g//" gives "Pattern not found error" with E486. Should not
          > use the error number, it's not a regular error message.
          >
          > On the contrary, an error message with error highlighting *should* be
          > output to be consistent with the other search commands. The other search
          > commands all give an error message with error code in this situation:
          >
          > /nil<CR> E486: Pattern not found ...
          > :s/nil/ E486: Pattern not found ...
          > :/nil/,/nil/g/re/p E486: Pattern not found ...
          > :vimgrep /nil/ * E480: No match ...
          > :tag nil E426: tag not found ...
          >
          > The attached patch fixes this inconsistency.

          I think this is a Vi compatibility thing. It is not really an error,
          the message is just a warning that nothing happened.
          I don't think we should change it. It might look more consistent, but
          it may make some existing scripts fail.

          3. Every time someone asks you to do something, ask if they want fries
          with that.

        • glts
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 5, 2013
            Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > I think this is a Vi compatibility thing. It is not really an error,
            > the message is just a warning that nothing happened.
            > I don't think we should change it. It might look more consistent, but
            > it may make some existing scripts fail.

            Here is another attempt: This time I solved the problem as described in
            the todo list: remove the error code since it is not a proper error
            message.

            I'd be happy to see this item crossed off the list. Thanks.

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 5, 2013
              Glts wrote:

              > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > > I think this is a Vi compatibility thing. It is not really an error,
              > > the message is just a warning that nothing happened.
              > > I don't think we should change it. It might look more consistent, but
              > > it may make some existing scripts fail.
              >
              > Here is another attempt: This time I solved the problem as described in
              > the todo list: remove the error code since it is not a proper error
              > message.
              >
              > I'd be happy to see this item crossed off the list. Thanks.

              Thanks. I'll include it unless someone objects.

              12. Sing along at the opera.