Can't compile Vim with python3 and perl support with MinGW for Windows XP

  • rail shafigulin
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2013
      I tried to compile Vim several times with perl and python3 support and the perl portion works but python3 crashes.

      I tried to compile it DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes and with DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=no.

      Problem 1.
      When I run gVim, In both cases (dynamic or non-dynamic python) it tells me that libstdc++-6.dll and libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll are missing. After I copy those libraries into my Vim directory, I finally can run Vim. If I compile it with DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=no, why do I need to copy those files into the Vim directory, shouldn't they be already linked to the executable?

      Problem 2.
      Now that I have both of the libraries in the Vim directory, whenever I try to execute :python3 print('Hello World'), gVim/Vim crashes with a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error. There is a difference between how they gVim and Vim crash. Unlike gVim, Vim has a fatal error in its command line before it crashes. Here is what it says: Fatal Python error: take_gil: NULL tstate.

      There is obviously something is mission in my compilation, but I can't figure out what. Does anybody know what have I done wrong?

      All the images with errors are attached to this post. Any help is appreciated.

      Windows XP Pro Version 2002 SP 3
      MinGW 4.6.2
      vim73_46.zip (that's the one I found on www.vim.org, if there is a later one, I will gladly take it)

    • rail shafigulin
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2013
        On Friday, March 1, 2013 12:17:17 PM UTC-5, rail shafigulin wrote:
        > I tried to compile Vim several times with perl and python3 support and the perl portion works but python3 crashes.
        >
        > I tried to compile it DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes and with DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=no.
        >
        > Problem 1.
        > When I run gVim, In both cases (dynamic or non-dynamic python) it tells me that libstdc++-6.dll and libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll are missing. After I copy those libraries into my Vim directory, I finally can run Vim. If I compile it with DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=no, why do I need to copy those files into the Vim directory, shouldn't they be already linked to the executable?
        >
        > Problem 2.
        > Now that I have both of the libraries in the Vim directory, whenever I try to execute :python3 print('Hello World'), gVim/Vim crashes with a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error. There is a difference between how they gVim and Vim crash. Unlike gVim, Vim has a fatal error in its command line before it crashes. Here is what it says: Fatal Python error: take_gil: NULL tstate.
        >
        > There is obviously something is mission in my compilation, but I can't figure out what. Does anybody know what have I done wrong?
        >
        > All the images with errors are attached to this post. Any help is appreciated.
        >

        > Windows XP Pro Version 2002 SP 3
        > MinGW 4.6.2
        > vim73_46.zip (that's the one I found on www.vim.org, if there is a later one, I will gladly take it)

        I forgot to mention that I'm trying to compile with OLE support. Here is what I have in my bat file

        @echo off
        REM this file must be run in Vim source directory (e.g., C:\devel\vim73\src)
        REM these folders and files can be deleted after compilation: /gobj/, /obj/, pathdef.c

        REM add "bin" directory of MinGW installation to system PATH
        PATH = C:\MinGW\bin;%PATH%;

        REM build GUI version (gvim.exe)
        mingw32-make.exe -f Make_ming.mak PYTHON3="C:/Python32" PYTHON3_VER=32 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes PERL=C:/Perl PERL_VER=512 DYNAMIC_PERL=yes NETBEANS=no FEATURES=BIG OLE=yes GUI=yes gvim.exe > build_vim_log.txt 2>&1

        REM build console version (vim.exe)
        mingw32-make.exe -f Make_ming.mak PYTHON3="C:/Python32" PYTHON3_VER=32 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes PERL=C:/Perl PERL_VER=512 DYNAMIC_PERL=yes NETBEANS=no FEATURES=BIG OLE=yes GUI=no vim.exe >> build_vim_log.txt 2>&1

        pause

        I got these instructions from http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Build_Python-enabled_Vim_on_Windows_with_MinGW and adapted them to what I need.

      • rail shafigulin
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2013
          On Friday, March 1, 2013 3:12:23 PM UTC-5, rail shafigulin wrote:
          > On Friday, March 1, 2013 12:17:17 PM UTC-5, rail shafigulin wrote:
          > > I tried to compile Vim several times with perl and python3 support and the perl portion works but python3 crashes.
          > >
          > > I tried to compile it DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes and with DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=no.
          > >
          > > Problem 1.
          > > When I run gVim, In both cases (dynamic or non-dynamic python) it tells me that libstdc++-6.dll and libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll are missing. After I copy those libraries into my Vim directory, I finally can run Vim. If I compile it with DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=no, why do I need to copy those files into the Vim directory, shouldn't they be already linked to the executable?
          > >
          > > Problem 2.
          > > Now that I have both of the libraries in the Vim directory, whenever I try to execute :python3 print('Hello World'), gVim/Vim crashes with a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error. There is a difference between how they gVim and Vim crash. Unlike gVim, Vim has a fatal error in its command line before it crashes. Here is what it says: Fatal Python error: take_gil: NULL tstate.
          > >
          > > There is obviously something is mission in my compilation, but I can't figure out what. Does anybody know what have I done wrong?
          > >
          > > All the images with errors are attached to this post. Any help is appreciated.
          > >

          > > Windows XP Pro Version 2002 SP 3
          > > MinGW 4.6.2
          > > vim73_46.zip (that's the one I found on www.vim.org, if there is a later one, I will gladly take it)
          >
          > I forgot to mention that I'm trying to compile with OLE support. Here is what I have in my bat file
          >
          > @echo off
          > REM this file must be run in Vim source directory (e.g., C:\devel\vim73\src)
          > REM these folders and files can be deleted after compilation: /gobj/, /obj/, pathdef.c
          >
          > REM add "bin" directory of MinGW installation to system PATH
          > PATH = C:\MinGW\bin;%PATH%;
          >
          > REM build GUI version (gvim.exe)
          > mingw32-make.exe -f Make_ming.mak PYTHON3="C:/Python32" PYTHON3_VER=32 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes PERL=C:/Perl PERL_VER=512 DYNAMIC_PERL=yes NETBEANS=no FEATURES=BIG OLE=yes GUI=yes gvim.exe > build_vim_log.txt 2>&1
          >
          > REM build console version (vim.exe)
          > mingw32-make.exe -f Make_ming.mak PYTHON3="C:/Python32" PYTHON3_VER=32 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes PERL=C:/Perl PERL_VER=512 DYNAMIC_PERL=yes NETBEANS=no FEATURES=BIG OLE=yes GUI=no vim.exe >> build_vim_log.txt 2>&1
          >
          > pause
          >
          > I got these instructions from http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Build_Python-enabled_Vim_on_Windows_with_MinGW and adapted them to what I need.

          Well I found a solution to the python issue. Here it is
          http://markmail.org/thread/5lqelk2pfjobfwom

          But I still need a way to statically link those two libraries. Any help is appreciated.

        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2013
            On Friday, March 1, 2013 3:01:39 PM UTC-6, cyboman wrote:
            > On Friday, March 1, 2013 3:12:23 PM UTC-5, rail shafigulin wrote:
            > > On Friday, March 1, 2013 12:17:17 PM UTC-5, rail shafigulin wrote:
            > > > I tried to compile Vim several times with perl and python3 support and the perl portion works but python3 crashes.
            > > >
            > > > I tried to compile it DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes and with DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=no.
            > > >
            > > > Problem 1.
            > > > When I run gVim, In both cases (dynamic or non-dynamic python) it tells me that libstdc++-6.dll and libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll are missing. After I copy those libraries into my Vim directory, I finally can run Vim. If I compile it with DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=no, why do I need to copy those files into the Vim directory, shouldn't they be already linked to the executable?
            > > >
            > > > Problem 2.
            > > > Now that I have both of the libraries in the Vim directory, whenever I try to execute :python3 print('Hello World'), gVim/Vim crashes with a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error. There is a difference between how they gVim and Vim crash. Unlike gVim, Vim has a fatal error in its command line before it crashes. Here is what it says: Fatal Python error: take_gil: NULL tstate.
            > > >
            > > > There is obviously something is mission in my compilation, but I can't figure out what. Does anybody know what have I done wrong?
            > > >
            > > > All the images with errors are attached to this post. Any help is appreciated.
            > > >

            > > > Windows XP Pro Version 2002 SP 3
            > > > MinGW 4.6.2
            > > > vim73_46.zip (that's the one I found on www.vim.org, if there is a later one, I will gladly take it)
            > >
            > > I forgot to mention that I'm trying to compile with OLE support. Here is what I have in my bat file
            > >
            > > @echo off
            > > REM this file must be run in Vim source directory (e.g., C:\devel\vim73\src)
            > > REM these folders and files can be deleted after compilation: /gobj/, /obj/, pathdef.c
            > >
            > > REM add "bin" directory of MinGW installation to system PATH
            > > PATH = C:\MinGW\bin;%PATH%;
            > >
            > > REM build GUI version (gvim.exe)
            > > mingw32-make.exe -f Make_ming.mak PYTHON3="C:/Python32" PYTHON3_VER=32 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes PERL=C:/Perl PERL_VER=512 DYNAMIC_PERL=yes NETBEANS=no FEATURES=BIG OLE=yes GUI=yes gvim.exe > build_vim_log.txt 2>&1
            > >
            > > REM build console version (vim.exe)
            > > mingw32-make.exe -f Make_ming.mak PYTHON3="C:/Python32" PYTHON3_VER=32 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes PERL=C:/Perl PERL_VER=512 DYNAMIC_PERL=yes NETBEANS=no FEATURES=BIG OLE=yes GUI=no vim.exe >> build_vim_log.txt 2>&1
            > >
            > > pause
            > >
            > > I got these instructions from http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Build_Python-enabled_Vim_on_Windows_with_MinGW and adapted them to what I need.
            >
            > Well I found a solution to the python issue. Here it is
            > http://markmail.org/thread/5lqelk2pfjobfwom
            >
            > But I still need a way to statically link those two libraries. Any help is appreciated.

            Please try building from the latest Vim source. You said you used the zip file of 7.3.46 from a few years ago. The latest code from the Mercurial repository is at version 7.3.843.

            As for the runtime errors, I wonder whether you simply need to update your system path to include the python install location?