easier vim settings transport

  • Alex Noot
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2013
      I work in an environment where I access and manage several hundred unix servers. However, the amount of time I typically spend on each server does not justify copying vimrc files around.

      I wonder if there's an easier way to load settings on a per-session basis.

      For example, could a vimrc file be serialized so that loading settings would be as simple as entering the serialized string at the start of each session?

    • Gary Johnson
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 25, 2013
        On 2013-02-25, Alex Noot wrote:
        > I work in an environment where I access and manage several hundred
        > unix servers. However, the amount of time I typically spend on
        > each server does not justify copying vimrc files around.
        >
        > I wonder if there's an easier way to load settings on a
        > per-session basis.
        >
        > For example, could a vimrc file be serialized so that loading
        > settings would be as simple as entering the serialized string at
        > the start of each session?

        I haven't tried it, but I would think you could put all your
        settings into the VIMINIT environment variable sometime after
        logging onto the server. See

        :help VIMINIT
        :help :bar

        HTH,
        Gary

      • Marc Weber
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 25, 2013
          Excerpts from Alex Noot's message of Mon Feb 25 22:58:02 +0100 2013:
          > I work in an environment where I access and manage several hundred
          > unix servers. However, the amount of time I typically spend on each
          > server does not justify copying vimrc files around.
          I'm pretty sure that copying .vimrc files around is a lot faster than
          whatever you do when using Vim. Thus why not copy paste such into a
          shell?

          trap "rm ~/.my-vimrc" EXIT; curl -s 'https://your-vimrc' > ~/.my-vimrc;
          alias vim="vim -c 'source ~/.my-vimrc" (or use VIMINIT like env vars as
          mentioned previously.

          This way its ensured that you clean up, that you have your settings.

          With tools like expect or screen it should be even possible to automate
          that.

          Marc Weber