Re: New fold column customization options

  • Thiago Alves
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 16, 2013
      Hi guys, I finally cracked it down!

      I'm attaching the full patch now. This contains the two options I worked on, I hope you guys like it. Let me know if you find anything wrong with it!

      Thanks,

      On Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:23:13 PM UTC-6, Thiago Alves wrote:
      > Hi guys, I'm trying to add new options to allow users tweak their fold columns. The first option is:
      >

      > 'foldcolshowlvl' 'fsl': Show a number representing the fold level.
      >

      > This allow user to "hide" the numbers representing the fold level. It is very useful is the `foldcolumn` is 1.
      >

      > My second option is the definition of custom characters to use while drawing the fold column. This way users can have characters representing folders other than `+`, `-` and `|`.
      >

      > So far I could make this works very well with one exception: multi-bytes.
      >

      > If I define the new characters to be like this:
      >

      > set fds=fa:\ ,fo:▾,fc:▸
      >

      > Nothing is shown on the fold column. I notice that on `screen.c` we have a function called `fill_foldcolumn` where those characters are defined, and there is where I tried to use the new characts, but since it has code like this:
      >

      > p[i] = fds_fo;
      >

      > This means that since `p` is a `char_u`, anything that is hold after the first 8 bits will be truncated. I tried to force the copy of the rest of the bits but had no luck on that!
      >

      > Any one have a clue about this?

    • Thiago Alves
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 17, 2013
        I created a clone of Vim repository in case you want to try these changes:

        https://code.google.com/r/talk-foldcolumnoptions/

        I don't know if this patch can be integrated into main vim repository or not, but if there is anything I can do to make this happen, let me know.