Re: New feature: absolute line number in relativenumber for the current line

  • Lech Lorens
    Message 1 of 47 , Feb 5, 2013
      On 5 February 2013 17:02, Nazri Ramliy <ayiehere@...> wrote:
      > On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 5:11 PM, Nazri Ramliy <ayiehere@...> wrote:
      >> Attached is an updated patch for the 'linenumber' option (it's getting
      >> hairier and hairier! But not that much. I'd say it's less toy-ish by
      >> now :)
      >>
      >> It contains a bugfix - "set (inv|no)(nu|rnu)" did not correctly set
      >> 'linenumber' as well.
      >
      > Another update for two more bugfixes for 'linenumber':
      >
      > 1. :mksession crashes vim due to the presence of the new, unnecessary
      > entry in options array for the hidden window local option w_o_lnrsty.
      > Removing the entry from options array solves it.
      > 2. :mksession may set 'number' and/or 'relativenumber' after 'linenumber'
      > which will overwrite its setting. Solution: add the flag P_PRI_MKRC
      > to 'number' and 'relativenumber' options to ensure that they get
      > written first before 'linenumber'.
      >
      > Nazri

      Would it be a good idea to deprecate 'number' and 'relativenumber' if
      'linenumber' is introduced?
      Could it be done by first introducing a warning "This setting will be
      removed from future versions of Vim, please use 'linenumber' instead."
      when 'nu' or 'rnu' is set and after some time actually removing the
      settings? I can imagine that handling 'nu', 'rnu' and 'linenumber'
      with their priorities in code is a huge PITA and a great possibility
      of introducing bugs like the one you just fixed.

      --
      Cheers,
      Lech

      Message 47 of 47 , Jun 29, 2013
        Ah, I understand now; sorry for the confusion -- I didn't know that patch 1115 changed the behavior of relativenumber/number. I know what I have to do now to modify my vimrc to behave like it used to for older versions by using the has("patch#") check.

        I do indeed like this new behavior better though :)
        Thanks very much for your help!

        --Stan