Re: unwated subMenu/XmCascaseButton messages

  • Tom Francis
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2013
      On Feb 5, 2013, at 9:57 AM, Charles Campbell wrote:

      > Dominique Pellé wrote:
      >> Charles Campbell wrote:
      >>
      >>> Hello!
      >>> I upgraded from 784 to 798 -- (and am doing without gtk, so I'm using the
      >>> motif).
      >>> What should I do to eliminate the following two messages that I get when I
      >>> fire up vim:
      >>>

      >>> Warning:
      >>> Name: subMenu
      >>> Class: XmCascadeButton
      >>> Illegal mnemonic character; Could not convert X KEYSYM to a keycode
      >>>
      >>> Warning:
      >>> Name: subMenu
      >>> Class: XmCascadeButton
      >>> Illegal mnemonic character; Could not convert X KEYSYM to a keycode
      >>>
      >>> I'm getting these with
      >>>
      >>> vim -u NONE -g
      >>>
      >>> Thank you,
      >>> Chip Campbell

      <snip>

      It's been a long time since I was doing any motif or Xt development, but this is complaining about a mnemonic character, and unless your X environment is really weird, that means hitting Meta + a single character. If your keyboard layout requires you to hit Meta + some key combination to produce that character, you wouldn't be able to have Meta + that character. IIRC, if the character is produced by a key combination rather than a single key press, you might get the same error. I would suggest looking through all of the menus in VIM for any underlined characters that you can't type with a single key press, as that's probably the problem. Given the name is "subMenu" it's probably for a menu or submenu, not for an action item (but I haven't looked at the relevant section of vim source, so that's just a guess!). If you can locate the one (it's probably just one), you should be able to determine if it's hard-coded, in a resources file somewhere, or both, and then set up a resources file to override with something more appropriate, or edit the resources file.

      TOM

      PS Most of the time "Meta" is now a reference to the "Alt" key, but that might not be true. :)

    • James McCoy
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2013

        On Feb 5, 2013 9:57 AM, "Charles Campbell" <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:
        > Unfortunately I cannot get vim to compile with gtk2.  I've taken the trouble to remove all gtk2 (and things that depended on it) and re-installed it, and still configure won't let vim compile with gtk2 support.
        >   yum -y remove gtk2.x86_64
        >  (then re-installed gtk2 and re-installed all 388 packages depending on gtk2)

        Was one of those the gtk2-devel package?

        Cheers,
        James