Re: [patch] Limit window size on all platforms when setting lines/columns

  • Daniel Harding
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2013
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > > Does this work correctly when Vim stretches over more than one monitor?

      I'll try to do some testing this week (likely won't be before Tuesday).
      Don't know how easily I'll be able to test the multiple monitor
      scenario under Linux though, because I run Windows as my primary system
      with Linux under VirtualBox. I'll do what I can, however, and get back
      with you. (If there are any issues, they would also be present with
      patch 7.3.117).

      -Daniel

    • Daniel Harding
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2013
        Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Daniel Harding wrote:
        >
        >> The attached patch is a follow-up to patch 7.3.117 (Problem: When
        >> changing the font size, only MS-Windows limits the window size.
        >> Solution: Also limit the window size on other systems. (Roland
        >> Puntaier)). That patch fixed the problem that on non-MS-Windows
        >> systems, increasing the font size could cause the gVim window to grow
        >> larger than the physical screen.
        >>
        >> A similar problem exists on non-MS-Windows systems when setting lines or
        >> columns. According to the documentation for 'lines' ( or 'columns'),
        >> "Vim limits the number of lines [columns] to what fits on the screen."
        >> This is true on MS-Windows, but not true on other systems (in my case,
        >> Linux). The attached patch makes the behavior consistent with the
        >> documentation on all systems.
        >
        > Does this work correctly when Vim stretches over more than one monitor?

        Sorry it has taken me so long to get back on this. Based on my testing,
        I don't think the behavior on non-MS-Windows systems is any worse with
        the patch than previously. Here's the behavior I observed with multiple
        monitors:

        On MS-Windows (with or without the patch), setting lines=999 causes the
        number of lines to be limited to what will fit on the monitor the gVim
        window is in (if the window spans multiple monitors, one of them is
        selected and the window is moved to that monitor, but I have not been
        able to determine by what method the selection is made).

        On Linux (Gentoo) without the patch, setting lines=999 actually gives
        999 lines and sends the bottom of the window well past the bottom of the
        screen. With the patch, setting lines=999 limits the number of lines to
        what will fit in the total height of all the monitors (e.g. if the
        desktop is extended onto two monitors side-by-side, the height of the
        tallest monitor; if the desktop is extended onto two monitors one above
        the other, the combined height of the monitors).

        So while the behavior with the patch on Linux doesn't exactly match
        MS-Windows in the multiple-monitor case, I believe it is certainly no
        worse than before the patch, and in the single-monitor case, definitely
        does what the documentation says, whereas without the patch, the
        behavior did not match the documentation.

        Cheers,

        -Daniel

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2013
          Daniel Harding wrote:

          > >> The attached patch is a follow-up to patch 7.3.117 (Problem: When
          > >> changing the font size, only MS-Windows limits the window size.
          > >> Solution: Also limit the window size on other systems. (Roland
          > >> Puntaier)). That patch fixed the problem that on non-MS-Windows
          > >> systems, increasing the font size could cause the gVim window to grow
          > >> larger than the physical screen.
          > >>
          > >> A similar problem exists on non-MS-Windows systems when setting lines or
          > >> columns. According to the documentation for 'lines' ( or 'columns'),
          > >> "Vim limits the number of lines [columns] to what fits on the screen."
          > >> This is true on MS-Windows, but not true on other systems (in my case,
          > >> Linux). The attached patch makes the behavior consistent with the
          > >> documentation on all systems.
          > >
          > > Does this work correctly when Vim stretches over more than one monitor?
          >
          > Sorry it has taken me so long to get back on this. Based on my testing,
          > I don't think the behavior on non-MS-Windows systems is any worse with
          > the patch than previously. Here's the behavior I observed with multiple
          > monitors:
          >
          > On MS-Windows (with or without the patch), setting lines=999 causes the
          > number of lines to be limited to what will fit on the monitor the gVim
          > window is in (if the window spans multiple monitors, one of them is
          > selected and the window is moved to that monitor, but I have not been
          > able to determine by what method the selection is made).
          >
          > On Linux (Gentoo) without the patch, setting lines=999 actually gives
          > 999 lines and sends the bottom of the window well past the bottom of the
          > screen. With the patch, setting lines=999 limits the number of lines to
          > what will fit in the total height of all the monitors (e.g. if the
          > desktop is extended onto two monitors side-by-side, the height of the
          > tallest monitor; if the desktop is extended onto two monitors one above
          > the other, the combined height of the monitors).
          >
          > So while the behavior with the patch on Linux doesn't exactly match
          > MS-Windows in the multiple-monitor case, I believe it is certainly no
          > worse than before the patch, and in the single-monitor case, definitely
          > does what the documentation says, whereas without the patch, the
          > behavior did not match the documentation.

          OK, I'll include the patch and then we'll await any users reporting a
          problem.

          --
          Two cows are standing together in a field. One asks the other:
          "So what do you think about this Mad Cow Disease?"