Re: what happened to luxi mono?

  • Charles Campbell
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 1, 2013
      James McCoy wrote:

      > On Feb 1, 2013 11:43 AM, "Charles Campbell"
      > <Charles.E.Campbell@... <mailto:Charles.E.Campbell@...>> wrote:
      > > I've found some more out -- it appears that several directories and
      > files got changed so that only root had access. fc-list now shows
      > Luxi Mono fonts, for example.
      > >
      > > However, I still can't get vim to accept
      > >
      > > :set guifont=Luxi\ Mono\ 10
      > >
      > > and Luxi Mono doesn't show up on vim's font selector, either.
      >
      > In the version output you posted before, it showed you are building
      > against the Motif gui toolkit. Is that intentional or another result
      > of the permissions problems you had? I thought that format for
      > specifying 'guifont' was specific to GTK.

      Here's my configure line:

      ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-perlinterp
      --enable-pythoninterp --enable-cscope --enable-rubyinterp . I'm using
      motif and gtk, though.

      Thank you,
      Charles Campbell

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 1, 2013
        Hi Charles!

        On Fr, 01 Feb 2013, Charles Campbell wrote:

        > James McCoy wrote:
        > >

        > >On Feb 1, 2013 11:43 AM, "Charles Campbell"
        > ><Charles.E.Campbell@... <mailto:Charles.E.Campbell@...>>
        > >wrote:
        > >> I've found some more out -- it appears that several directories
        > >and files got changed so that only root had access. fc-list now
        > >shows Luxi Mono fonts, for example.
        > >>
        > >> However, I still can't get vim to accept
        > >>
        > >> :set guifont=Luxi\ Mono\ 10
        > >>
        > >> and Luxi Mono doesn't show up on vim's font selector, either.
        > >
        > >In the version output you posted before, it showed you are
        > >building against the Motif gui toolkit. Is that intentional or
        > >another result of the permissions problems you had? I thought
        > >that format for specifying 'guifont' was specific to GTK.
        > >
        > Here's my configure line:
        >
        > ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-perlinterp
        > --enable-pythoninterp --enable-cscope --enable-rubyinterp . I'm
        > using motif and gtk, though.

        Can you try with a gtk gui?

        regards,
        Christian
        --
        Zeig mir deine Uhr, und ich sage dir, wie spät es ist.

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 1, 2013
          On 01/02/13 18:11, Charles Campbell wrote:
          > James McCoy wrote:
          >>

          >> On Feb 1, 2013 11:43 AM, "Charles Campbell"
          >> <Charles.E.Campbell@... <mailto:Charles.E.Campbell@...>> wrote:
          >> > I've found some more out -- it appears that several directories and
          >> files got changed so that only root had access. fc-list now shows
          >> Luxi Mono fonts, for example.
          >> >
          >> > However, I still can't get vim to accept
          >> >
          >> > :set guifont=Luxi\ Mono\ 10
          >> >
          >> > and Luxi Mono doesn't show up on vim's font selector, either.
          >>
          >> In the version output you posted before, it showed you are building
          >> against the Motif gui toolkit. Is that intentional or another result
          >> of the permissions problems you had? I thought that format for
          >> specifying 'guifont' was specific to GTK.
          >>
          > Here's my configure line:
          >
          > ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-perlinterp
          > --enable-pythoninterp --enable-cscope --enable-rubyinterp . I'm using
          > motif and gtk, though.
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Charles Campbell

          Yes, GTK2 has a different format for 'guifont', incompatible with any
          other Vim GUI flavour.

          For details, see
          :help setting-guifont
          http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Setting_the_font_in_the_GUI

          In a forest a fox bumps into a little rabbit, and says, "Hi,
          junior, what are you up to?"
          "I'm writing a dissertation on how rabbits eat foxes," said the
          rabbit.
          "Come now, friend rabbit, you know that's impossible!"
          "Well, follow me and I'll show you." They both go into the
          rabbit's dwelling and after a while the rabbit emerges with a satisfied
          expression on his face.
          Comes along a wolf. "Hello, what are we doing these days?"
          "I'm writing the second chapter of my thesis, on how rabbits
          devour wolves."
          "Are you crazy? Where is your academic honesty?"
          "Come with me and I'll show you." As before, the rabbit comes
          out with a satisfied look on his face and a diploma in his paw.
          Finally, the camera pans into the rabbit's cave and, as everybody
          should have guessed by now, we see a mean-looking, huge lion sitting
          next to some bloody and furry remnants of the wolf and the fox.

          The moral: It's not the contents of your thesis that are important --
          it's your PhD advisor that really counts.

        • Charles Campbell
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 1, 2013
            Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            > On 01/02/13 18:11, Charles Campbell wrote:
            >> James McCoy wrote:

            >>> files got changed so that only root had access. fc-list now shows
            >>> Luxi Mono fonts, for example.

            >>> In the version output you posted before, it showed you are building
            >>> against the Motif gui toolkit. Is that intentional or another result
            >>> of the permissions problems you had? I thought that format for
            >>> specifying 'guifont' was specific to GTK.
            >>>
            >> Here's my configure line:
            >>
            >> ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-perlinterp
            >> --enable-pythoninterp --enable-cscope --enable-rubyinterp . I'm using
            >> motif and gtk, though.
            >>
            > Yes, GTK2 has a different format for 'guifont', incompatible with any
            > other Vim GUI flavour.
            >
            > For details, see
            > :help setting-guifont
            > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Setting_the_font_in_the_GUI
            My vim's status:

            * :set guifont=Luxi\ Mono\ 10 used to work (in fact, still does on
            my home computer)
            * same configure command used on both my home computer and my work
            computer
            * both systems run scientific linux 6.3, gtk, etc
            * haven't updated my home computer vim from 7.3.784; did do the
            update with vim on my work computer
            * fc-list now shows the Luxi fonts are available
            * setting guifont=Luxi\ Mono\ 10 on my work computer shows "E596:
            Invalid font(s): guifont=Luxi\ Mono\ 10

            I've tried uninstalling Luxi fonts, reconfiguring, making, and
            re-installing. Luxi Mono 10 is still "invalid font" (under vim)
            I've tried restarting X: (init 3, init 5) Luxi Mono 10 is still
            "invalid font" (under vim)

            fc-list | grep Luxi shows:
            Luxi Serif:style=Regular
            Luxi Serif:style=Bold
            Luxi Mono:style=Bold
            Luxi Sans:style=Bold
            Luxi Sans:style=Regular
            Luxi Mono:style=Regular
            Luxi Serif:style=Oblique
            Luxi Serif:style=Bold Oblique
            Luxi Mono:style=Oblique
            Luxi Sans:style=Oblique
            Luxi Sans:style=Bold Oblique
            Luxi Mono:style=Bold Oblique

            Appreciate your help,
            Charles Campbell

          • Christian J. Robinson
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 1, 2013
              On Fri, 1 Feb 2013, Charles Campbell wrote:

              > My vim's status:
              >
              > * :set guifont=Luxi\ Mono\ 10 used to work (in fact, still does on my
              > home computer)

              *snip*

              If your Vim is built with Motif, it simply will not be able to use the
              "new style" fonts like "Luxi Mono"; you will be stuck with the old
              style complicated font names with a lot of dashes. The two styles
              have specific names but I never really remember what they are.

              So the question is, why is your Vim no longer building with GTK, but
              rather with Motif? (It can not be built with both.)

              - Christian

              --
              Time slows if you're on the outside of the bathroom door.
              Christian J. Robinson <heptite@...> http://christianrobinson.name/

            • Tony Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 1, 2013
                On 01/02/13 20:37, Charles Campbell wrote:
                > Tony Mechelynck wrote:

                >>> Here's my configure line:
                >>>
                >>> ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-perlinterp
                >>> --enable-pythoninterp --enable-cscope --enable-rubyinterp . I'm using
                >>> motif and gtk, though.
                >>>
                >> Yes, GTK2 has a different format for 'guifont', incompatible with any
                >> other Vim GUI flavour.
                >>
                >> For details, see
                >> :help setting-guifont
                >> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Setting_the_font_in_the_GUI
                > My vim's status:
                >
                > * :set guifont=Luxi\ Mono\ 10 used to work (in fact, still does on
                > my home computer)
                > * same configure command used on both my home computer and my work
                > computer
                > * both systems run scientific linux 6.3, gtk, etc
                > * haven't updated my home computer vim from 7.3.784; did do the
                > update with vim on my work computer
                > * fc-list now shows the Luxi fonts are available
                > * setting guifont=Luxi\ Mono\ 10 on my work computer shows "E596:
                > Invalid font(s): guifont=Luxi\ Mono\ 10
                >
                > I've tried uninstalling Luxi fonts, reconfiguring, making, and
                > re-installing. Luxi Mono 10 is still "invalid font" (under vim)
                > I've tried restarting X: (init 3, init 5) Luxi Mono 10 is still
                > "invalid font" (under vim)

                This means your home Vim is probably compiled with something else than GTK2.

                For Motif you need the "other-X11" format. ":set gfn=*" (without the
                quotes) should work, giving you a dialog. The fonts may or may not be
                listed alphabetically. Luxi mono 10 (for Motif) might come out as
                something like

                :set gfn=*-luxi-medium-r-normal-*-*-100-*-*-m-*-*

                The 2nd part (I tried -luxi-) is the font face, I'm not sure what Motif
                Vim will see on your system but in my experience (from when the default
                gvim for Linux was GTK1, which was also "other-X11") it's all in
                lowercase. -medium-r-normal- specify medium boldness, Roman (i.e.
                vertical, not italic) slant and normal (neither compressed nor wide)
                width. The number is the size and the -m- near the end is very
                important: it specifies Monospace (i.e. fixed-width) which is the only
                kind of fonts which any gvim other than GTK2 will accept. (GTK2 gvim
                will accept any font installed on your computer, but non-monospace fonts
                will look ugly.) A font all whose glyphs are the same pixel width, but
                which is not _declared_ as monospace, will not be accepted by Motif
                gvim, not even if you replace the -m- by -*-.

                Each star means zero or more characters. See ":help XLFD" for details.

                > fc-list | grep Luxi shows:
                > Luxi Serif:style=Regular
                > Luxi Serif:style=Bold
                > Luxi Mono:style=Bold
                > Luxi Sans:style=Bold
                > Luxi Sans:style=Regular
                > Luxi Mono:style=Regular
                > Luxi Serif:style=Oblique
                > Luxi Serif:style=Bold Oblique
                > Luxi Mono:style=Oblique
                > Luxi Sans:style=Oblique
                > Luxi Sans:style=Bold Oblique
                > Luxi Mono:style=Bold Oblique
                >
                > Appreciate your help,
                > Charles Campbell

                It is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other
                domesticated animal kept as pets.
                [real standing law in Illinois, United States of America]

              • Charles Campbell
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 1, 2013
                  Christian J. Robinson wrote:
                  > On Fri, 1 Feb 2013, Charles Campbell wrote:
                  >
                  >> My vim's status:
                  >>
                  >> * :set guifont=Luxi\ Mono\ 10 used to work (in fact, still does on my
                  >> home computer)
                  > *snip*
                  >
                  > If your Vim is built with Motif, it simply will not be able to use the
                  > "new style" fonts like "Luxi Mono"; you will be stuck with the old
                  > style complicated font names with a lot of dashes. The two styles
                  > have specific names but I never really remember what they are.
                  >
                  > So the question is, why is your Vim no longer building with GTK, but
                  > rather with Motif? (It can not be built with both.)

                  I think this is a promising line of inquiry.

                  First, checking on presence of gtk2...

                  console/ xorn? rpm -q gtk2
                  gtk2-2.18.9-10.el6.x86_64
                  gtk2-2.18.9-10.el6.i686
                  console/ xorn? rpm -q gtk2-devel
                  gtk2-devel-2.18.9-10.el6.x86_64

                  So it seems both gtk2 and the developer package are installed.

                  However,

                  ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-gui=gtk2
                  --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp --enable-cscope
                  --enable-rubyinterp

                  results in a E25: GUI cannot be used: Not enabled at compile time (vim -g)

                  and, without the --enable-gui=gtk2, I get Motif-enabled gui. OK,
                  searching through /usr, I see a bunch of directories that are -rwx------
                  instead of -rwxr-xr-x . I'll fix those.

                  I'm going to have to leave and so I probably won't be able to get back
                  until this until Monday. I'll try crafting a find-based command to hunt
                  down all these rwx------ directories and changing them.

                  Thank you,
                  Charles Campbell

                • Charles Campbell
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 11, 2013
                    Charles Campbell wrote:
                    > Christian J. Robinson wrote:
                    >> On Fri, 1 Feb 2013, Charles Campbell wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> My vim's status:
                    >>>
                    >>> * :set guifont=Luxi\ Mono\ 10 used to work (in fact, still does on my
                    >>> home computer)
                    >> *snip*
                    >>
                    >> If your Vim is built with Motif, it simply will not be able to use the
                    >> "new style" fonts like "Luxi Mono"; you will be stuck with the old
                    >> style complicated font names with a lot of dashes. The two styles
                    >> have specific names but I never really remember what they are.
                    >>
                    >> So the question is, why is your Vim no longer building with GTK, but
                    >> rather with Motif? (It can not be built with both.)
                    >>
                    > I think this is a promising line of inquiry.
                    >
                    > First, checking on presence of gtk2...
                    >
                    > console/ xorn? rpm -q gtk2
                    > gtk2-2.18.9-10.el6.x86_64
                    > gtk2-2.18.9-10.el6.i686
                    > console/ xorn? rpm -q gtk2-devel
                    > gtk2-devel-2.18.9-10.el6.x86_64
                    >
                    > So it seems both gtk2 and the developer package are installed.

                    Found out some more about the loss of Luxi Mono.

                    As I mentioned earlier, this problem occurred on a work computer; it has
                    been set to automatically update (Scientific Linux 6.3).

                    Configure expects a number of header files to be in /usr/include, but
                    the update has pushed the gtk related ones to /usr/include/gtk-2.0.
                    I've made links:

                    gtk -> gtk-2.0/gtk/
                    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Feb 11 09:53 gdk -> gtk-2.0/gdk/
                    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Feb 11 09:53 gdk-pixbuf ->
                    gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf/
                    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Feb 11 09:54 gdk-pixbuf-xlib ->
                    gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf-xlib/
                    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Feb 11 09:58 gio -> glib-2.0/gio/
                    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Feb 11 09:58 glib -> glib-2.0/glib/
                    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Feb 11 09:58 gobject -> glib-2.0/gobject/
                    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Feb 11 09:58 glib-object.h ->
                    glib-2.0/glib-object.h
                    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Feb 11 09:59 gmodule.h -> glib-2.0/gmodule.h
                    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Feb 11 10:00 glib.h -> glib-2.0/glib.h

                    Unfortunately, this isn't quite adequate. I'm still getting an error:

                    || In file included from /usr/include/glib/galloca.h:34,
                    || from /usr/include/glib.h:32,
                    || from /usr/include/gobject/gtype.h:26,
                    || from /usr/include/gobject/gboxed.h:26,
                    || from /usr/include/glib-object.h:25,
                    || from /usr/include/gio/gioenums.h:30,
                    || from /usr/include/gio/giotypes.h:30,
                    || from /usr/include/gio/gio.h:28,
                    || from /usr/include/gdk/gdkapplaunchcontext.h:30,
                    || from /usr/include/gdk/gdk.h:32,
                    || from /usr/include/gtk/gtk.h:32,
                    || from conftest.c:23:
                    /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/gtypes.h|34 col 24 error| glibconfig.h: No
                    such file or directory

                    Anyway, so configure decides that gtk isn't available, gui is not
                    enabled, and Luxi Mono is no longer available to vim (although it is on
                    my computer).

                    Regards,
                    C Campbell

                    and I cannot find a glibconfig.h under /usr/include (literally; I used
                    the find command).

                  • René Köcher
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 11, 2013
                      Am 11.02.2013 um 16:11 schrieb Charles Campbell <Charles.E.Campbell@...>:

                      > Charles Campbell wrote:
                      >> Christian J. Robinson wrote:

                      >>> *snip*
                      >>>
                      >>> If your Vim is built with Motif, it simply will not be able to use the
                      >>> "new style" fonts like "Luxi Mono"; you will be stuck with the old
                      >>> style complicated font names with a lot of dashes. The two styles
                      >>> have specific names but I never really remember what they are.
                      >>>
                      >>> So the question is, why is your Vim no longer building with GTK, but
                      >>> rather with Motif? (It can not be built with both.)
                      >> I think this is a promising line of inquiry.
                      >>
                      >> First, checking on presence of gtk2...
                      >>
                      >> console/ xorn? rpm -q gtk2
                      >> gtk2-2.18.9-10.el6.x86_64
                      >> gtk2-2.18.9-10.el6.i686
                      >> console/ xorn? rpm -q gtk2-devel
                      >> gtk2-devel-2.18.9-10.el6.x86_64
                      >>
                      >> So it seems both gtk2 and the developer package are installed.
                      > Found out some more about the loss of Luxi Mono.
                      >
                      > As I mentioned earlier, this problem occurred on a work computer; it has been set to automatically update (Scientific Linux 6.3).
                      >
                      > Configure expects a number of header files to be in /usr/include, but the update has pushed the gtk related ones to /usr/include/gtk-2.0.
                      Hi Charles,
                      I'm not sure about scientific Linux but for most of todays distributions
                      /usr/include/gtk-2.0 is the default path.
                      (Has been for years)
                      Vim can cope well with this location as long as it can find pkg-config
                      or gtk-config to tell the right paths and libs.

                      > I've made links:
                      >
                      > gtk -> gtk-2.0/gtk/
                      > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Feb 11 09:53 gdk -> gtk-2.0/gdk/
                      > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Feb 11 09:53 gdk-pixbuf -> gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf/
                      > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Feb 11 09:54 gdk-pixbuf-xlib -> gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf-xlib/
                      > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Feb 11 09:58 gio -> glib-2.0/gio/
                      > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Feb 11 09:58 glib -> glib-2.0/glib/
                      > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Feb 11 09:58 gobject -> glib-2.0/gobject/
                      > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Feb 11 09:58 glib-object.h -> glib-2.0/glib-object.h
                      > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Feb 11 09:59 gmodule.h -> glib-2.0/gmodule.h
                      > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Feb 11 10:00 glib.h -> glib-2.0/glib.h
                      >
                      > Unfortunately, this isn't quite adequate. I'm still getting an error:
                      >
                      > || In file included from /usr/include/glib/galloca.h:34,
                      > || from /usr/include/glib.h:32,
                      > || from /usr/include/gobject/gtype.h:26,
                      > || from /usr/include/gobject/gboxed.h:26,
                      > || from /usr/include/glib-object.h:25,
                      > || from /usr/include/gio/gioenums.h:30,
                      > || from /usr/include/gio/giotypes.h:30,
                      > || from /usr/include/gio/gio.h:28,
                      > || from /usr/include/gdk/gdkapplaunchcontext.h:30,
                      > || from /usr/include/gdk/gdk.h:32,
                      > || from /usr/include/gtk/gtk.h:32,
                      > || from conftest.c:23:
                      > /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/gtypes.h|34 col 24 error| glibconfig.h: No such file or directory
                      >
                      > Anyway, so configure decides that gtk isn't available, gui is not enabled, and Luxi Mono is no longer available to vim (although it is on my computer).
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > C Campbell
                      >

                      > and I cannot find a glibconfig.h under /usr/include (literally; I used the find command).

                      Regards René

                    • Dominique Pellé
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 11, 2013
                        On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Charles Campbell
                        <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:
                        > Charles Campbell wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Christian J. Robinson wrote:

                        >>> *snip*
                        >>>
                        >>> If your Vim is built with Motif, it simply will not be able to use the
                        >>> "new style" fonts like "Luxi Mono"; you will be stuck with the old
                        >>> style complicated font names with a lot of dashes. The two styles
                        >>> have specific names but I never really remember what they are.
                        >>>
                        >>> So the question is, why is your Vim no longer building with GTK, but
                        >>> rather with Motif? (It can not be built with both.)
                        >>>
                        >> I think this is a promising line of inquiry.
                        >>
                        >> First, checking on presence of gtk2...
                        >>
                        >> console/ xorn? rpm -q gtk2
                        >> gtk2-2.18.9-10.el6.x86_64
                        >> gtk2-2.18.9-10.el6.i686
                        >> console/ xorn? rpm -q gtk2-devel
                        >> gtk2-devel-2.18.9-10.el6.x86_64
                        >>
                        >> So it seems both gtk2 and the developer package are installed.
                        >>
                        > Found out some more about the loss of Luxi Mono.
                        >
                        > As I mentioned earlier, this problem occurred on a work computer; it has
                        > been set to automatically update (Scientific Linux 6.3).
                        >
                        > Configure expects a number of header files to be in /usr/include, but the
                        > update has pushed the gtk related ones to /usr/include/gtk-2.0. I've made
                        > links:
                        >
                        > gtk -> gtk-2.0/gtk/
                        > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Feb 11 09:53 gdk -> gtk-2.0/gdk/
                        > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Feb 11 09:53 gdk-pixbuf ->
                        > gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf/
                        > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Feb 11 09:54 gdk-pixbuf-xlib ->
                        > gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf-xlib/
                        > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Feb 11 09:58 gio -> glib-2.0/gio/
                        > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Feb 11 09:58 glib -> glib-2.0/glib/
                        > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Feb 11 09:58 gobject -> glib-2.0/gobject/
                        > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Feb 11 09:58 glib-object.h ->
                        > glib-2.0/glib-object.h
                        > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Feb 11 09:59 gmodule.h -> glib-2.0/gmodule.h
                        > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Feb 11 10:00 glib.h -> glib-2.0/glib.h
                        >
                        > Unfortunately, this isn't quite adequate. I'm still getting an error:
                        >
                        > || In file included from /usr/include/glib/galloca.h:34,
                        > || from /usr/include/glib.h:32,
                        > || from /usr/include/gobject/gtype.h:26,
                        > || from /usr/include/gobject/gboxed.h:26,
                        > || from /usr/include/glib-object.h:25,
                        > || from /usr/include/gio/gioenums.h:30,
                        > || from /usr/include/gio/giotypes.h:30,
                        > || from /usr/include/gio/gio.h:28,
                        > || from /usr/include/gdk/gdkapplaunchcontext.h:30,
                        > || from /usr/include/gdk/gdk.h:32,
                        > || from /usr/include/gtk/gtk.h:32,
                        > || from conftest.c:23:
                        > /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/gtypes.h|34 col 24 error| glibconfig.h: No such
                        > file or directory
                        >
                        > Anyway, so configure decides that gtk isn't available, gui is not enabled,
                        > and Luxi Mono is no longer available to vim (although it is on my computer).
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > C Campbell
                        >

                        > and I cannot find a glibconfig.h under /usr/include (literally; I used the
                        > find command).

                        I don't know much about the "Scientific Linux" distribution.
                        But on Ubuntu, it is possible to do...

                        $ sudo apt-get build-dep vim-gnome

                        ... which installs all packages required to be able to build vim-gnome.

                        This installs gtk2 among plenty of other things if not already installed.

                        Doing a google search suggests that "yum-builddep" is the equivalent
                        feature on Scientific Linux.

                        So have you tried the following command?

                        $ sudo yum-builddep vim-gnome

                        (not sure whether "vim-gnome" is the package name on your distrib for the
                        GTK2 version of Vim).

                        Then should you need to clean the configure cache and rebuild Vim
                        from sources:

                        $ cd vim
                        $ rm -f src/auto/config.cache
                        $ ./configure --with-feature=huge --enable-gui=gtk2

                        Regards
                        Dominique

                      • Charles Campbell
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 11, 2013

                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 11, 2013
                            Charles Campbell wrote:

                            > and I cannot find a glibconfig.h under /usr/include (literally; I used the
                            > find command).

                            Using xubuntu-12.10:

                            $ locate glibconfig.h
                            /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include/glibconfig.h

                            $ apt-file search /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include/glibconfig.h
                            libglib2.0-dev: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include/glibconfig.h

                            So the package providing that header file is "libglib2.0-dev".
                            You can try to include a similar package for your distribution.

                            Regards
                            Dominique

                          • Charles Campbell
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 12, 2013
                              Dominique Pellé wrote:
                              > On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Charles Campbell
                              > <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:
                              >> Charles Campbell wrote:

                              >>> I think this is a promising line of inquiry.
                              >>>
                              >>> First, checking on presence of gtk2...
                              >>>
                              >>> console/ xorn? rpm -q gtk2
                              >>> gtk2-2.18.9-10.el6.x86_64
                              >>> gtk2-2.18.9-10.el6.i686
                              >>> console/ xorn? rpm -q gtk2-devel
                              >>> gtk2-devel-2.18.9-10.el6.x86_64
                              >>>
                              >>> So it seems both gtk2 and the developer package are installed.
                              >>>
                              >> Found out some more about the loss of Luxi Mono.
                              >>
                              >> As I mentioned earlier, this problem occurred on a work computer; it has
                              >> been set to automatically update (Scientific Linux 6.3).
                              >>
                              >> Configure expects a number of header files to be in /usr/include, but the
                              >> update has pushed the gtk related ones to /usr/include/gtk-2.0. I've made
                              >> links:
                              >>
                              >> gtk -> gtk-2.0/gtk/
                              >> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Feb 11 09:53 gdk -> gtk-2.0/gdk/
                              >> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Feb 11 09:53 gdk-pixbuf ->
                              >> gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf/
                              >> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Feb 11 09:54 gdk-pixbuf-xlib ->
                              >> gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf-xlib/
                              >> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Feb 11 09:58 gio -> glib-2.0/gio/
                              >> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Feb 11 09:58 glib -> glib-2.0/glib/
                              >> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Feb 11 09:58 gobject -> glib-2.0/gobject/
                              >> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Feb 11 09:58 glib-object.h ->
                              >> glib-2.0/glib-object.h
                              >> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Feb 11 09:59 gmodule.h -> glib-2.0/gmodule.h
                              >> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Feb 11 10:00 glib.h -> glib-2.0/glib.h
                              >>
                              >> Unfortunately, this isn't quite adequate. I'm still getting an error:

                              >> /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/gtypes.h|34 col 24 error| glibconfig.h: No such
                              >> file or directory
                              >>
                              >> Anyway, so configure decides that gtk isn't available, gui is not enabled,
                              >> and Luxi Mono is no longer available to vim (although it is on my computer).
                              >>
                              >> Regards,
                              >> C Campbell
                              >>

                              >> and I cannot find a glibconfig.h under /usr/include (literally; I used the
                              >> find command).
                              >>
                              > I don't know much about the "Scientific Linux" distribution.
                              > But on Ubuntu, it is possible to do...
                              >
                              > $ sudo apt-get build-dep vim-gnome
                              >
                              > ... which installs all packages required to be able to build vim-gnome.
                              >
                              > This installs gtk2 among plenty of other things if not already installed.
                              >
                              > Doing a google search suggests that "yum-builddep" is the equivalent
                              > feature on Scientific Linux.
                              >
                              > So have you tried the following command?
                              >
                              > $ sudo yum-builddep vim-gnome
                              >
                              > (not sure whether "vim-gnome" is the package name on your distrib for the
                              > GTK2 version of Vim).
                              >
                              > Then should you need to clean the configure cache and rebuild Vim
                              > from sources:
                              >
                              > $ cd vim
                              > $ rm -f src/auto/config.cache
                              > $ ./configure --with-feature=huge --enable-gui=gtk2

                              I've tried sudo yum-builddep vim-gnome; that results in: No such
                              package(s): vim-gnome
                              I then tried: sudo yum-builddep vim

                              This command actually did result in installing gpm-devel ; however, that
                              wasn't necessary before to build an X11 capable version and

                              make distclean
                              ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-gui=gtk2
                              --enable-gnome-check --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp
                              --enable-rubyinterp --enable-cscope
                              make

                              still fails to build a gnome-capable vim (like it used to do). Removing
                              "--enable-gui=gtk2" results in a motif-enabled vim (ie. Luxi Mono still
                              absent).

                              Thank you for helping, though,
                              Chip Campbell

                            • Charles Campbell
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 12, 2013
                                Dominique Pellé wrote:
                                > Charles Campbell wrote:
                                >
                                >> and I cannot find a glibconfig.h under /usr/include (literally; I used the
                                >> find command).
                                >
                                > Using xubuntu-12.10:
                                >
                                > $ locate glibconfig.h
                                > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include/glibconfig.h
                                >
                                > $ apt-file search /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include/glibconfig.h
                                > libglib2.0-dev: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include/glibconfig.h
                                >
                                > So the package providing that header file is "libglib2.0-dev".
                                > You can try to include a similar package for your distribution.

                                I used yum to install

                                yum -y install glib.x86_64
                                yum -y install glib-devel.x86_64

                                (there was no glib2). Still, making distclean and making vim still
                                results in a not-gui-enabled vim (unless I remove the --enable-gui=gtk2
                                from the configure command) and no glibconfig.h under /usr/include anywhere.

                                cec/ xorn? yum -y install gtk2.x86_64
                                Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
                                Setting up Install Process
                                Package gtk2-2.18.9-10.el6.x86_64 already installed and latest version
                                Nothing to do
                                cec/ xorn? yum -y install gtk2-devel.x86_64
                                Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
                                Setting up Install Process
                                Package gtk2-devel-2.18.9-10.el6.x86_64 already installed and latest version
                                Nothing to do

                                Thank you for helping,
                                Chip Campbell

                              • James McCoy
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 12, 2013

                                  On Feb 12, 2013 9:44 AM, "Charles Campbell" <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:

                                  > I've tried sudo yum-builddep vim-gnome; that results in:  No such package(s): vim-gnome
                                  > I then tried:  sudo yum-builddep vim

                                  The vim package doesn't provide a GUI-enabled Vim, so that probably isn't sufficient.  Scientific Linux's GUI-enabled package is vim-X11.

                                  James

                                • Charles Campbell
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 13 9:08 AM
                                    Charles Campbell wrote:
                                    > Hello!
                                    >
                                    > I seem to have run into a font problem -- as in the font I was using,
                                    > "Luxi Mono 10", is no longer a valid font.
                                    >
                                    > Here's what happened:
                                    >
                                    > * used gvim with Luxi Mono 10
                                    > * broke for lunch
                                    > * returned
                                    > * updated vim from 7.3.784 to 7.3.796
                                    > * Luxi mono font no longer available

                                    <snip>

                                    FYI: I still can't build gvim to use Luxi Mono on my main work
                                    computer; however, I can build a gvim on another computer that hasn't
                                    been damaged by the updating process I'm stuck with -- and that gvim
                                    does work on my main work computer (with Luxi Mono/gtk).

                                    Thank you for your help!
                                    Chip Campbell

                                  • Charles Campbell
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 23, 2014
                                      Hello!

                                      I thought I'd share the "solution" to "what happened to luxi mono?",
                                      just in case anyone else was being afflicted in a similar fashion:

                                      * symptom: the font I prefer to use, Luxi Mono Bold 11, was no longer
                                      available (I use a lot of math-oriented utf-8 characters, which Luxi
                                      Mono supports well)
                                      * Turns out that I wasn't getting gnome-gtk2 anymore during new
                                      compiles; instead, I was getting motif, hence no luxi mono
                                      * I get "automatic updates" on my system (Scientific Linux 6.4) (not
                                      that I want them, its just the way It Has To Be on my government computer)
                                      * fallback solution: I compiled vim on my home computer (SL6.3) and
                                      brought the executable to work (via ftp, since we're not to use
                                      flashsticks anymore)
                                      * new symptom, just happened a day or two ago: I was not getting any vim
                                      menus.
                                      * tried a backup version of vim (also compiled on my home computer) from
                                      a month ago -- it too exhibited the "no vim menu" issue. That vim
                                      certainly didn't used to have that problem...
                                      * all versions of vim tried had +menu and has("gui_running") was true
                                      * got suspicious that auto-updating was involved, so I recompiled vim on
                                      my work computer, which I haven't bothered to do for many months. It
                                      successfully compiled with gtk and had menus!

                                      So, thanks goes to whomever fixed the gtk system on SL6.4.

                                      Regards,
                                      Chip Campbell