[patch] Limit window size on all platforms when setting lines/columns

  • Daniel Harding
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2013
      Hello,

      The attached patch is a follow-up to patch 7.3.117 (Problem: When
      changing the font size, only MS-Windows limits the window size.
      Solution: Also limit the window size on other systems. (Roland
      Puntaier)). That patch fixed the problem that on non-MS-Windows
      systems, increasing the font size could cause the gVim window to grow
      larger than the physical screen.

      A similar problem exists on non-MS-Windows systems when setting lines or
      columns. According to the documentation for 'lines' ( or 'columns'),
      "Vim limits the number of lines [columns] to what fits on the screen."
      This is true on MS-Windows, but not true on other systems (in my case,
      Linux). The attached patch makes the behavior consistent with the
      documentation on all systems.

      Cheers,

      Daniel

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2013
        Daniel Harding wrote:

        > The attached patch is a follow-up to patch 7.3.117 (Problem: When
        > changing the font size, only MS-Windows limits the window size.
        > Solution: Also limit the window size on other systems. (Roland
        > Puntaier)). That patch fixed the problem that on non-MS-Windows
        > systems, increasing the font size could cause the gVim window to grow
        > larger than the physical screen.
        >
        > A similar problem exists on non-MS-Windows systems when setting lines or
        > columns. According to the documentation for 'lines' ( or 'columns'),
        > "Vim limits the number of lines [columns] to what fits on the screen."
        > This is true on MS-Windows, but not true on other systems (in my case,
        > Linux). The attached patch makes the behavior consistent with the
        > documentation on all systems.

        Does this work correctly when Vim stretches over more than one monitor?

        --
        Two cows are standing together in a field. One asks the other:
        "So what do you think about this Mad Cow Disease?"

      • Daniel Harding
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2013
          Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > > Does this work correctly when Vim stretches over more than one monitor?

          I'll try to do some testing this week (likely won't be before Tuesday).
          Don't know how easily I'll be able to test the multiple monitor
          scenario under Linux though, because I run Windows as my primary system
          with Linux under VirtualBox. I'll do what I can, however, and get back
          with you. (If there are any issues, they would also be present with
          patch 7.3.117).

          -Daniel

        • Daniel Harding
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2013
            Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Daniel Harding wrote:
            >
            >> The attached patch is a follow-up to patch 7.3.117 (Problem: When
            >> changing the font size, only MS-Windows limits the window size.
            >> Solution: Also limit the window size on other systems. (Roland
            >> Puntaier)). That patch fixed the problem that on non-MS-Windows
            >> systems, increasing the font size could cause the gVim window to grow
            >> larger than the physical screen.
            >>
            >> A similar problem exists on non-MS-Windows systems when setting lines or
            >> columns. According to the documentation for 'lines' ( or 'columns'),
            >> "Vim limits the number of lines [columns] to what fits on the screen."
            >> This is true on MS-Windows, but not true on other systems (in my case,
            >> Linux). The attached patch makes the behavior consistent with the
            >> documentation on all systems.
            >
            > Does this work correctly when Vim stretches over more than one monitor?

            Sorry it has taken me so long to get back on this. Based on my testing,
            I don't think the behavior on non-MS-Windows systems is any worse with
            the patch than previously. Here's the behavior I observed with multiple
            monitors:

            On MS-Windows (with or without the patch), setting lines=999 causes the
            number of lines to be limited to what will fit on the monitor the gVim
            window is in (if the window spans multiple monitors, one of them is
            selected and the window is moved to that monitor, but I have not been
            able to determine by what method the selection is made).

            On Linux (Gentoo) without the patch, setting lines=999 actually gives
            999 lines and sends the bottom of the window well past the bottom of the
            screen. With the patch, setting lines=999 limits the number of lines to
            what will fit in the total height of all the monitors (e.g. if the
            desktop is extended onto two monitors side-by-side, the height of the
            tallest monitor; if the desktop is extended onto two monitors one above
            the other, the combined height of the monitors).

            So while the behavior with the patch on Linux doesn't exactly match
            MS-Windows in the multiple-monitor case, I believe it is certainly no
            worse than before the patch, and in the single-monitor case, definitely
            does what the documentation says, whereas without the patch, the
            behavior did not match the documentation.

            Cheers,

            -Daniel

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3, 2013
              Daniel Harding wrote:

              > >> The attached patch is a follow-up to patch 7.3.117 (Problem: When
              > >> changing the font size, only MS-Windows limits the window size.
              > >> Solution: Also limit the window size on other systems. (Roland
              > >> Puntaier)). That patch fixed the problem that on non-MS-Windows
              > >> systems, increasing the font size could cause the gVim window to grow
              > >> larger than the physical screen.
              > >>
              > >> A similar problem exists on non-MS-Windows systems when setting lines or
              > >> columns. According to the documentation for 'lines' ( or 'columns'),
              > >> "Vim limits the number of lines [columns] to what fits on the screen."
              > >> This is true on MS-Windows, but not true on other systems (in my case,
              > >> Linux). The attached patch makes the behavior consistent with the
              > >> documentation on all systems.
              > >
              > > Does this work correctly when Vim stretches over more than one monitor?
              >
              > Sorry it has taken me so long to get back on this. Based on my testing,
              > I don't think the behavior on non-MS-Windows systems is any worse with
              > the patch than previously. Here's the behavior I observed with multiple
              > monitors:
              >
              > On MS-Windows (with or without the patch), setting lines=999 causes the
              > number of lines to be limited to what will fit on the monitor the gVim
              > window is in (if the window spans multiple monitors, one of them is
              > selected and the window is moved to that monitor, but I have not been
              > able to determine by what method the selection is made).
              >
              > On Linux (Gentoo) without the patch, setting lines=999 actually gives
              > 999 lines and sends the bottom of the window well past the bottom of the
              > screen. With the patch, setting lines=999 limits the number of lines to
              > what will fit in the total height of all the monitors (e.g. if the
              > desktop is extended onto two monitors side-by-side, the height of the
              > tallest monitor; if the desktop is extended onto two monitors one above
              > the other, the combined height of the monitors).
              >
              > So while the behavior with the patch on Linux doesn't exactly match
              > MS-Windows in the multiple-monitor case, I believe it is certainly no
              > worse than before the patch, and in the single-monitor case, definitely
              > does what the documentation says, whereas without the patch, the
              > behavior did not match the documentation.

              OK, I'll include the patch and then we'll await any users reporting a
              problem.