New feature: absolute line number in relativenumber for the current line

  • Paul Ruane
    Message 1 of 47 , Jan 29, 2013
      Hi,

      I asked on the Vim reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/vim/comments/
      17gg56/) if anyone knew how to achieve this with existing
      functionality or plug-in but apparently not. I would simply like to
      have the option, when relativenumber is turned on, to have the current
      line show the absolute line number rather than zero. Is this a
      reasonable suggestion?

      Whilst it is not that hard to scan the status line, I find that I hit
      this glitch in my workflow many, many times a day: when I want to know
      what line I am on, I intuitively scan the gutter for the line number.
      I then realise that relativenumber is on so I redirect my attention to
      the status line and then have to parse the number from the other
      fields down there.

      Many thanks,
      Paul.

      Message 47 of 47 , Jun 29, 2013
        Ah, I understand now; sorry for the confusion -- I didn't know that patch 1115 changed the behavior of relativenumber/number. I know what I have to do now to modify my vimrc to behave like it used to for older versions by using the has("patch#") check.

        I do indeed like this new behavior better though :)
        Thanks very much for your help!

        --Stan