Re: [patch] retain visual mode for :# commands

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 26, 2013
      Hi James!

      On Sa, 26 Jan 2013, James McCoy wrote:

      > On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 03:17:16PM +0100, Christian Brabandt wrote:
      > > Bram,
      > > when visual mode is active and one is jumping to another position
      > > using :<nr> visual mode is unexpectedly ended.
      >
      > Why is this unexpected? You've changed from visual to cmdline mode.
      > The indication of visual mode is an aid to see the area on which you're
      > operating.

      Because I started visual mode and wanted it to highlight far down to a
      specific line which was several hundreds lines down. So I entered like
      always :1500 and visual mode ended. This was not nice ;)

      regards,
      Christian

    • James McCoy
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 26, 2013
        On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 04:07:32PM +0100, Christian Brabandt wrote:
        > Hi James!
        >
        > On Sa, 26 Jan 2013, James McCoy wrote:
        >
        > > On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 03:17:16PM +0100, Christian Brabandt wrote:
        > > > Bram,
        > > > when visual mode is active and one is jumping to another position
        > > > using :<nr> visual mode is unexpectedly ended.
        > >
        > > Why is this unexpected? You've changed from visual to cmdline mode.
        > > The indication of visual mode is an aid to see the area on which you're
        > > operating.
        >
        > Because I started visual mode and wanted it to highlight far down to a
        > specific line which was several hundreds lines down. So I entered like
        > always :1500 and visual mode ended. This was not nice ;)

        1500G would be how I would recommend doing that, but I've seen other
        people try :# before. I'll leave it up to Bram on whether that should
        work or not.

        Cheers,
        --
        James
        GPG Key: 4096R/331BA3DB 2011-12-05 James McCoy <jamessan@...>
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 26, 2013
          Hi James!

          On Sa, 26 Jan 2013, James McCoy wrote:

          > On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 04:07:32PM +0100, Christian Brabandt wrote:
          > > Hi James!

          > > > Why is this unexpected? You've changed from visual to cmdline mode.
          > > > The indication of visual mode is an aid to see the area on which you're
          > > > operating.
          > >
          > > Because I started visual mode and wanted it to highlight far down to a
          > > specific line which was several hundreds lines down. So I entered like
          > > always :1500 and visual mode ended. This was not nice ;)
          >
          > 1500G would be how I would recommend doing that, but I've seen other
          > people try :# before. I'll leave it up to Bram on whether that should
          > work or not.

          indeed 1500G should have worked. I just haven't thought about it, since
          I usually use the :# ex command.
          But its fair enough. I just found it unexpected and think it is more
          logically.

          regards,
          Christian
          --
          Die Erde als Erde ist auch dem Sinnlichsten nichts, sondern seine
          Ideen darĂ¼ber.

        • Ingo Karkat
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 26, 2013
            On 26-Jan-13 22:40:42 +0100, Christian Brabandt wrote:

            > Hi James!
            >
            > On Sa, 26 Jan 2013, James McCoy wrote:
            >
            >> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 04:07:32PM +0100, Christian Brabandt wrote:
            >>> Hi James!

            >>> Because I started visual mode and wanted it to highlight far down to a
            >>> specific line which was several hundreds lines down. So I entered like
            >>> always :1500 and visual mode ended. This was not nice ;)
            >>
            >> 1500G would be how I would recommend doing that, but I've seen other
            >> people try :# before. I'll leave it up to Bram on whether that should
            >> work or not.
            >
            > indeed 1500G should have worked. I just haven't thought about it, since
            > I usually use the :# ex command.
            > But its fair enough. I just found it unexpected and think it is more
            > logically.

            I find the new proposed behavior somewhat unexpected (though I rarely use :#);
            you had to press <C-U> to get rid of the '<,'>, and that signals to me that
            visual mode is done.

            Instead of G, you can use :# today as well; it's just more typing:
            V:<C-U>1500<CR>V'<

            -- regards, ingo

          • Christian Brabandt
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 26, 2013
              Hi Ingo!

              On Sa, 26 Jan 2013, Ingo Karkat wrote:

              > I find the new proposed behavior somewhat unexpected (though I rarely use :#);
              > you had to press <C-U> to get rid of the '<,'>, and that signals to me that
              > visual mode is done.
              >
              > Instead of G, you can use :# today as well; it's just more typing:
              > V:<C-U>1500<CR>V'<

              The new behaviour would only work, with '<,'> in front of the line
              number. If you press <C-U> it wouldn't work and would work as before.

              regards,
              Christian
              --
              Die Altersweisheit gibt es nicht. Wenn man altert, wird man nicht
              weise, sondern nur vorsichtig.

            • John Little
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 26, 2013
                On Sunday, January 27, 2013 4:31:04 AM UTC+13, James McCoy wrote:
                > 1500G would be how I would recommend doing that, but I've seen other
                > people try :# before.

                (Assuming you don't mean the ancient non-visual mode command :#, a synonym for :number.)

                See :help :[range], you seem to imply by "but I've seen other people try" that it's not a kosher movement.

                Regards, John Little

              • James McCoy
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 26, 2013
                  On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 08:22:15PM -0800, John Little wrote:
                  > On Sunday, January 27, 2013 4:31:04 AM UTC+13, James McCoy wrote:
                  > > 1500G would be how I would recommend doing that, but I've seen other
                  > > people try :# before.
                  >
                  > (Assuming you don't mean the ancient non-visual mode command :#, a synonym for :number.)
                  >
                  > See :help :[range],

                  Yes, I meant :[range]. I was being consistent with the synatx in the
                  subject of the email, although the body of the OP used :<nr>.

                  > you seem to imply by "but I've seen other people try" that it's not a kosher movement.

                  Not that it isn't a kosher movement, but that (I don't think) it should
                  be a valid method to extend the range of a visual selection. As I
                  stated in my earlier email, changing to cmdline mode ends visual mode.

                  Also, I guess Christian isn't intending to solely extend the selection
                  to that specific line, otherwise changing the ":'<,'>" command line to
                  ":'<,1500" would be sufficient.

                  Cheers,
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 27, 2013
                    On 26-Jan-13 23:36:02 +0100, Christian Brabandt wrote:

                    > Hi Ingo!
                    >
                    > On Sa, 26 Jan 2013, Ingo Karkat wrote:
                    >
                    >> I find the new proposed behavior somewhat unexpected (though I rarely
                    >> use :#); you had to press <C-U> to get rid of the '<,'>, and that
                    >> signals to me that visual mode is done.
                    >>
                    >> Instead of G, you can use :# today as well; it's just more typing:
                    >> V:<C-U>1500<CR>V'<
                    >
                    > The new behaviour would only work, with '<,'> in front of the line
                    > number. If you press <C-U> it wouldn't work and would work as before.

                    Ah, okay, that mitigates my concerns. It's a quite strange syntax, and I
                    probably wouldn't have been able to deduce the behavior upon seeing :'<,'>1500
                    before this discussion, but if it helps you (and others), you'd have my blessing :-)

                    -- regards, ingo

                  • John Little
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 27, 2013
                      On Sunday, January 27, 2013 5:44:38 PM UTC+13, James McCoy wrote:

                      > Not that it isn't a kosher movement, but that (I don't think) it should
                      > be a valid method to extend the range of a visual selection. As I
                      > stated in my earlier email, changing to cmdline mode ends visual mode.

                      I kind of see your point now, but while you're in that cmdline mode, the visual selection is still displayed; it is surprising that on completion of the command line, not on entering it, is the visual selection deselected. Also, when searching, having pressed / one is in command-line mode, but the visual selection remains and is extended on a successful search.

                      Regards, John

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 27, 2013
                        Christian Brabandt wrote:

                        > Bram,
                        > when visual mode is active and one is jumping to another position
                        > using :<nr> visual mode is unexpectedly ended.
                        >
                        > Attached patch fixes this issue.

                        Do we really need this? It adds an exception. Next would be jumping to
                        a mark with :,'m and probably other Ex commands that only move the
                        cursor.

                        --
                        WOMAN: I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous
                        collective.