Re: [patch] tiny-vim builts with gtk gui

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 18, 2013
      On 17/01/13 21:54, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      [...]
      > OK, that matches my :version output. So what did you do to trigger that
      > E325 message?

      One possible way to reliably trigger the E325 (aka ATTENTION) message is
      as follows:

      1. Edit some file (with 'swapfile' on).
      2. Kill Vim (by any OS-specific means).
      3. Edit the same file again.

      Hier liegt ein Mann ganz obnegleich;
      Im Leibe dick, an Suden reich.
      Wir haben ihn in das Grab gesteckt, Here lies a man with sundry flaws
      Weil es uns dunkt er sei verreckt. And numerous Sins upon his head;
      We buried him today because
      As far as we can tell, he's dead.
      -- PDQ Bach's epitaph, as requested by his cousin Betty
      Sue Bach and written by the local doggerel catcher;
      "The Definitive Biography of PDQ Bach", Peter
      Schickele

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 19, 2013
        Christian Brabandt wrote:

        > On Do, 17 Jan 2013, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        >
        > > I cannot reproduce the problem. Does this depend on the version of GTK?
        > > I'm also using glib-2.0 though. Any other feature that matters?
        >
        > If you look at feature.h it is clear, that a gui tiny built does not
        > define FEAT_CON_DIALOG:
        > #ifdef FEAT_NORMAL
        > # if ((defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF)) \
        > && defined(HAVE_X11_XPM_H)) \
        > || defined(FEAT_GUI_GTK) \
        > || defined(FEAT_GUI_PHOTON) \
        > || defined(FEAT_GUI_MSWIN) \
        > || defined(FEAT_GUI_MAC)
        > # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
        > # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
        > # else
        > # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
        > # endif
        > #endif
        > #if !defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) \
        > || defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) || defined(FEAT_GUI_GTK) \
        > || defined(FEAT_GUI_W32))
        > /* need a dialog to show error messages when starting from the desktop */
        > # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
        > #endif
        > #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && \
        > (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) || defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) \
        > || defined(FEAT_GUI_GTK) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MSWIN) \
        > || defined(FEAT_GUI_PHOTON) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MAC))
        > # define FEAT_GUI_TEXTDIALOG
        > #endif
        >
        > and in vim.h
        >
        > #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && !defined(FEAT_CON_DIALOG)
        > # define do_dialog gui_mch_dialog
        > #endif
        >
        > :version shows
        >
        > [...]
        > -cmdline_compl -cmdline_hist -cmdline_info -comments -conceal -cryptv -cscope -cursorbind
        > cursorshape +dialog_gui -diff -digraphs +dnd -ebcdic -emacs_tags -eval -ex_extra
        > -extra_search
        > [...]
        >
        > So the when showing the E325 message, the console tiny build will try to
        > show a gui-dialog, which does not work.

        When I start Vim with:

        ./gvim /tmp/tt -u NONE

        While /tmp/tt is already edited by another Vim, I just get the GUI
        dialog. Thus I'm missing the reason why the GUI dialog doesn't work for
        you.

        The libraries used for me are:
        GTK_LIBNAME = -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgio-2.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lcairo -lpango-1.0 -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0

        --
        "My particular problem is with registry entries, which seem to just
        accumulate like plastic coffee cups..." -- Paul Moore

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 20, 2013
          Hi Bram!

          On Sa, 19 Jan 2013, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Christian Brabandt wrote:
          >
          > > On Do, 17 Jan 2013, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > >
          > > > I cannot reproduce the problem. Does this depend on the version of GTK?
          > > > I'm also using glib-2.0 though. Any other feature that matters?
          > >
          > > If you look at feature.h it is clear, that a gui tiny built does not
          > > define FEAT_CON_DIALOG:
          > > #ifdef FEAT_NORMAL
          > > # if ((defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF)) \
          > > && defined(HAVE_X11_XPM_H)) \
          > > # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
          > > # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
          > > # else
          > > # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
          > > # endif
          > > #endif
          > > #if !defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) \
          > > /* need a dialog to show error messages when starting from the desktop */
          > > # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
          > > #endif
          > > #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && \
          > > (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) || defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) \
          > > # define FEAT_GUI_TEXTDIALOG
          > > #endif
          > >
          > > and in vim.h
          > >
          > > #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && !defined(FEAT_CON_DIALOG)
          > > # define do_dialog gui_mch_dialog
          > > #endif
          > >
          > > :version shows
          > >
          > > [...]
          > > -cmdline_compl -cmdline_hist -cmdline_info -comments -conceal -cryptv -cscope -cursorbind
          > > cursorshape +dialog_gui -diff -digraphs +dnd -ebcdic -emacs_tags -eval -ex_extra
          > > -extra_search
          > > [...]
          > >
          > > So the when showing the E325 message, the console tiny build will try to
          > > show a gui-dialog, which does not work.
          >
          > When I start Vim with:
          >
          > ./gvim /tmp/tt -u NONE
          >
          > While /tmp/tt is already edited by another Vim, I just get the GUI
          > dialog. Thus I'm missing the reason why the GUI dialog doesn't work for
          > you.

          What happens with the terminal version of vim?

          Mit freundlichen Grüßen
          Christian
          --
          Man kann nicht alles auf einmal tun. Aber man kann alles auf einmal lassen.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 20, 2013
            Christian Brabandt wrote:

            > > > If you look at feature.h it is clear, that a gui tiny built does not
            > > > define FEAT_CON_DIALOG:
            > > > #ifdef FEAT_NORMAL
            > > > # if ((defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF)) \
            > > > && defined(HAVE_X11_XPM_H)) \
            > > > # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
            > > > # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
            > > > # else
            > > > # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
            > > > # endif
            > > > #endif
            > > > #if !defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) \
            > > > /* need a dialog to show error messages when starting from the desktop */
            > > > # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
            > > > #endif
            > > > #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && \
            > > > (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) || defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) \
            > > > # define FEAT_GUI_TEXTDIALOG
            > > > #endif
            > > >
            > > > and in vim.h
            > > >
            > > > #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && !defined(FEAT_CON_DIALOG)
            > > > # define do_dialog gui_mch_dialog
            > > > #endif
            > > >
            > > > :version shows
            > > >
            > > > [...]
            > > > -cmdline_compl -cmdline_hist -cmdline_info -comments -conceal -cryptv -cscope -cursorbind
            > > > cursorshape +dialog_gui -diff -digraphs +dnd -ebcdic -emacs_tags -eval -ex_extra
            > > > -extra_search
            > > > [...]
            > > >
            > > > So the when showing the E325 message, the console tiny build will try to
            > > > show a gui-dialog, which does not work.
            > >
            > > When I start Vim with:
            > >
            > > ./gvim /tmp/tt -u NONE
            > >
            > > While /tmp/tt is already edited by another Vim, I just get the GUI
            > > dialog. Thus I'm missing the reason why the GUI dialog doesn't work for
            > > you.
            >
            > What happens with the terminal version of vim?

            Ah, yes, then I see errors.

            However, we should not define FEAT_CON_DIALOG for GUI-only builds, such
            as on Win32.

            --
            Just think of all the things we haven't thought of yet.