Re: [patch] tiny-vim builts with gtk gui

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 17, 2013
      Christian Brabandt wrote:

      > On Do, 17 Jan 2013, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      >
      > > I cannot reproduce the problem. Does this depend on the version of GTK?
      > > I'm also using glib-2.0 though. Any other feature that matters?
      >
      > If you look at feature.h it is clear, that a gui tiny built does not
      > define FEAT_CON_DIALOG:
      > #ifdef FEAT_NORMAL
      > # if ((defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF)) \
      > && defined(HAVE_X11_XPM_H)) \
      > || defined(FEAT_GUI_GTK) \
      > || defined(FEAT_GUI_PHOTON) \
      > || defined(FEAT_GUI_MSWIN) \
      > || defined(FEAT_GUI_MAC)
      > # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
      > # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
      > # else
      > # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
      > # endif
      > #endif
      > #if !defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) \
      > || defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) || defined(FEAT_GUI_GTK) \
      > || defined(FEAT_GUI_W32))
      > /* need a dialog to show error messages when starting from the desktop */
      > # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
      > #endif
      > #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && \
      > (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) || defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) \
      > || defined(FEAT_GUI_GTK) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MSWIN) \
      > || defined(FEAT_GUI_PHOTON) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MAC))
      > # define FEAT_GUI_TEXTDIALOG
      > #endif
      >
      > and in vim.h
      >
      > #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && !defined(FEAT_CON_DIALOG)
      > # define do_dialog gui_mch_dialog
      > #endif
      >
      > :version shows
      >
      > [...]
      > -cmdline_compl -cmdline_hist -cmdline_info -comments -conceal -cryptv -cscope -cursorbind
      > cursorshape +dialog_gui -diff -digraphs +dnd -ebcdic -emacs_tags -eval -ex_extra
      > -extra_search
      > [...]
      >
      > So the when showing the E325 message, the console tiny build will try to
      > show a gui-dialog, which does not work.

      OK, that matches my :version output. So what did you do to trigger that
      E325 message?

      --
      DINGO: You must spank her well and after you have spanked her you
      may deal with her as you like and then ... spank me.

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 18, 2013
        On 17/01/13 21:54, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        [...]
        > OK, that matches my :version output. So what did you do to trigger that
        > E325 message?

        One possible way to reliably trigger the E325 (aka ATTENTION) message is
        as follows:

        1. Edit some file (with 'swapfile' on).
        2. Kill Vim (by any OS-specific means).
        3. Edit the same file again.

        Hier liegt ein Mann ganz obnegleich;
        Im Leibe dick, an Suden reich.
        Wir haben ihn in das Grab gesteckt, Here lies a man with sundry flaws
        Weil es uns dunkt er sei verreckt. And numerous Sins upon his head;
        We buried him today because
        As far as we can tell, he's dead.
        -- PDQ Bach's epitaph, as requested by his cousin Betty
        Sue Bach and written by the local doggerel catcher;
        "The Definitive Biography of PDQ Bach", Peter
        Schickele

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 19, 2013
          Christian Brabandt wrote:

          > On Do, 17 Jan 2013, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          >
          > > I cannot reproduce the problem. Does this depend on the version of GTK?
          > > I'm also using glib-2.0 though. Any other feature that matters?
          >
          > If you look at feature.h it is clear, that a gui tiny built does not
          > define FEAT_CON_DIALOG:
          > #ifdef FEAT_NORMAL
          > # if ((defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF)) \
          > && defined(HAVE_X11_XPM_H)) \
          > || defined(FEAT_GUI_GTK) \
          > || defined(FEAT_GUI_PHOTON) \
          > || defined(FEAT_GUI_MSWIN) \
          > || defined(FEAT_GUI_MAC)
          > # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
          > # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
          > # else
          > # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
          > # endif
          > #endif
          > #if !defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) \
          > || defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) || defined(FEAT_GUI_GTK) \
          > || defined(FEAT_GUI_W32))
          > /* need a dialog to show error messages when starting from the desktop */
          > # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
          > #endif
          > #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && \
          > (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) || defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) \
          > || defined(FEAT_GUI_GTK) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MSWIN) \
          > || defined(FEAT_GUI_PHOTON) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MAC))
          > # define FEAT_GUI_TEXTDIALOG
          > #endif
          >
          > and in vim.h
          >
          > #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && !defined(FEAT_CON_DIALOG)
          > # define do_dialog gui_mch_dialog
          > #endif
          >
          > :version shows
          >
          > [...]
          > -cmdline_compl -cmdline_hist -cmdline_info -comments -conceal -cryptv -cscope -cursorbind
          > cursorshape +dialog_gui -diff -digraphs +dnd -ebcdic -emacs_tags -eval -ex_extra
          > -extra_search
          > [...]
          >
          > So the when showing the E325 message, the console tiny build will try to
          > show a gui-dialog, which does not work.

          When I start Vim with:

          ./gvim /tmp/tt -u NONE

          While /tmp/tt is already edited by another Vim, I just get the GUI
          dialog. Thus I'm missing the reason why the GUI dialog doesn't work for
          you.

          The libraries used for me are:
          GTK_LIBNAME = -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgio-2.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lcairo -lpango-1.0 -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0

          --
          "My particular problem is with registry entries, which seem to just
          accumulate like plastic coffee cups..." -- Paul Moore

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 20, 2013
            Hi Bram!

            On Sa, 19 Jan 2013, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Christian Brabandt wrote:
            >
            > > On Do, 17 Jan 2013, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > >
            > > > I cannot reproduce the problem. Does this depend on the version of GTK?
            > > > I'm also using glib-2.0 though. Any other feature that matters?
            > >
            > > If you look at feature.h it is clear, that a gui tiny built does not
            > > define FEAT_CON_DIALOG:
            > > #ifdef FEAT_NORMAL
            > > # if ((defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF)) \
            > > && defined(HAVE_X11_XPM_H)) \
            > > # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
            > > # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
            > > # else
            > > # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
            > > # endif
            > > #endif
            > > #if !defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) \
            > > /* need a dialog to show error messages when starting from the desktop */
            > > # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
            > > #endif
            > > #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && \
            > > (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) || defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) \
            > > # define FEAT_GUI_TEXTDIALOG
            > > #endif
            > >
            > > and in vim.h
            > >
            > > #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && !defined(FEAT_CON_DIALOG)
            > > # define do_dialog gui_mch_dialog
            > > #endif
            > >
            > > :version shows
            > >
            > > [...]
            > > -cmdline_compl -cmdline_hist -cmdline_info -comments -conceal -cryptv -cscope -cursorbind
            > > cursorshape +dialog_gui -diff -digraphs +dnd -ebcdic -emacs_tags -eval -ex_extra
            > > -extra_search
            > > [...]
            > >
            > > So the when showing the E325 message, the console tiny build will try to
            > > show a gui-dialog, which does not work.
            >
            > When I start Vim with:
            >
            > ./gvim /tmp/tt -u NONE
            >
            > While /tmp/tt is already edited by another Vim, I just get the GUI
            > dialog. Thus I'm missing the reason why the GUI dialog doesn't work for
            > you.

            What happens with the terminal version of vim?

            Mit freundlichen Grüßen
            Christian
            --
            Man kann nicht alles auf einmal tun. Aber man kann alles auf einmal lassen.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 20, 2013
              Christian Brabandt wrote:

              > > > If you look at feature.h it is clear, that a gui tiny built does not
              > > > define FEAT_CON_DIALOG:
              > > > #ifdef FEAT_NORMAL
              > > > # if ((defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF)) \
              > > > && defined(HAVE_X11_XPM_H)) \
              > > > # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
              > > > # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
              > > > # else
              > > > # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
              > > > # endif
              > > > #endif
              > > > #if !defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) \
              > > > /* need a dialog to show error messages when starting from the desktop */
              > > > # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
              > > > #endif
              > > > #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && \
              > > > (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) || defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) \
              > > > # define FEAT_GUI_TEXTDIALOG
              > > > #endif
              > > >
              > > > and in vim.h
              > > >
              > > > #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && !defined(FEAT_CON_DIALOG)
              > > > # define do_dialog gui_mch_dialog
              > > > #endif
              > > >
              > > > :version shows
              > > >
              > > > [...]
              > > > -cmdline_compl -cmdline_hist -cmdline_info -comments -conceal -cryptv -cscope -cursorbind
              > > > cursorshape +dialog_gui -diff -digraphs +dnd -ebcdic -emacs_tags -eval -ex_extra
              > > > -extra_search
              > > > [...]
              > > >
              > > > So the when showing the E325 message, the console tiny build will try to
              > > > show a gui-dialog, which does not work.
              > >
              > > When I start Vim with:
              > >
              > > ./gvim /tmp/tt -u NONE
              > >
              > > While /tmp/tt is already edited by another Vim, I just get the GUI
              > > dialog. Thus I'm missing the reason why the GUI dialog doesn't work for
              > > you.
              >
              > What happens with the terminal version of vim?

              Ah, yes, then I see errors.

              However, we should not define FEAT_CON_DIALOG for GUI-only builds, such
              as on Win32.

              --
              Just think of all the things we haven't thought of yet.