Re: [patch] tiny-vim builts with gtk gui

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 17, 2013
      Hi Bram!

      On Do, 17 Jan 2013, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > I cannot reproduce the problem. Does this depend on the version of GTK?
      > I'm also using glib-2.0 though. Any other feature that matters?

      If you look at feature.h it is clear, that a gui tiny built does not
      define FEAT_CON_DIALOG:
      #ifdef FEAT_NORMAL
      # if ((defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF)) \
      && defined(HAVE_X11_XPM_H)) \
      || defined(FEAT_GUI_GTK) \
      || defined(FEAT_GUI_PHOTON) \
      || defined(FEAT_GUI_MSWIN) \
      || defined(FEAT_GUI_MAC)
      # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
      # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
      # else
      # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
      # endif
      #endif
      #if !defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) \
      || defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) || defined(FEAT_GUI_GTK) \
      || defined(FEAT_GUI_W32))
      /* need a dialog to show error messages when starting from the desktop */
      # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
      #endif
      #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && \
      (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) || defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) \
      || defined(FEAT_GUI_GTK) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MSWIN) \
      || defined(FEAT_GUI_PHOTON) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MAC))
      # define FEAT_GUI_TEXTDIALOG
      #endif

      and in vim.h

      #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && !defined(FEAT_CON_DIALOG)
      # define do_dialog gui_mch_dialog
      #endif

      :version shows

      [...]
      -cmdline_compl -cmdline_hist -cmdline_info -comments -conceal -cryptv -cscope -cursorbind
      cursorshape +dialog_gui -diff -digraphs +dnd -ebcdic -emacs_tags -eval -ex_extra
      -extra_search
      [...]

      So the when showing the E325 message, the console tiny build will try to
      show a gui-dialog, which does not work.

      Mit freundlichen Grüßen
      Christian
      --
      Letzte Worte eines Chemikers:
      "Mist, falsches Becherglas."

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 17, 2013
        Christian Brabandt wrote:

        > On Do, 17 Jan 2013, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        >
        > > I cannot reproduce the problem. Does this depend on the version of GTK?
        > > I'm also using glib-2.0 though. Any other feature that matters?
        >
        > If you look at feature.h it is clear, that a gui tiny built does not
        > define FEAT_CON_DIALOG:
        > #ifdef FEAT_NORMAL
        > # if ((defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF)) \
        > && defined(HAVE_X11_XPM_H)) \
        > || defined(FEAT_GUI_GTK) \
        > || defined(FEAT_GUI_PHOTON) \
        > || defined(FEAT_GUI_MSWIN) \
        > || defined(FEAT_GUI_MAC)
        > # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
        > # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
        > # else
        > # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
        > # endif
        > #endif
        > #if !defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) \
        > || defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) || defined(FEAT_GUI_GTK) \
        > || defined(FEAT_GUI_W32))
        > /* need a dialog to show error messages when starting from the desktop */
        > # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
        > #endif
        > #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && \
        > (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) || defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) \
        > || defined(FEAT_GUI_GTK) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MSWIN) \
        > || defined(FEAT_GUI_PHOTON) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MAC))
        > # define FEAT_GUI_TEXTDIALOG
        > #endif
        >
        > and in vim.h
        >
        > #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && !defined(FEAT_CON_DIALOG)
        > # define do_dialog gui_mch_dialog
        > #endif
        >
        > :version shows
        >
        > [...]
        > -cmdline_compl -cmdline_hist -cmdline_info -comments -conceal -cryptv -cscope -cursorbind
        > cursorshape +dialog_gui -diff -digraphs +dnd -ebcdic -emacs_tags -eval -ex_extra
        > -extra_search
        > [...]
        >
        > So the when showing the E325 message, the console tiny build will try to
        > show a gui-dialog, which does not work.

        OK, that matches my :version output. So what did you do to trigger that
        E325 message?

        --
        DINGO: You must spank her well and after you have spanked her you
        may deal with her as you like and then ... spank me.

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 18, 2013
          On 17/01/13 21:54, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          [...]
          > OK, that matches my :version output. So what did you do to trigger that
          > E325 message?

          One possible way to reliably trigger the E325 (aka ATTENTION) message is
          as follows:

          1. Edit some file (with 'swapfile' on).
          2. Kill Vim (by any OS-specific means).
          3. Edit the same file again.

          Hier liegt ein Mann ganz obnegleich;
          Im Leibe dick, an Suden reich.
          Wir haben ihn in das Grab gesteckt, Here lies a man with sundry flaws
          Weil es uns dunkt er sei verreckt. And numerous Sins upon his head;
          We buried him today because
          As far as we can tell, he's dead.
          -- PDQ Bach's epitaph, as requested by his cousin Betty
          Sue Bach and written by the local doggerel catcher;
          "The Definitive Biography of PDQ Bach", Peter
          Schickele

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 19, 2013
            Christian Brabandt wrote:

            > On Do, 17 Jan 2013, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            >
            > > I cannot reproduce the problem. Does this depend on the version of GTK?
            > > I'm also using glib-2.0 though. Any other feature that matters?
            >
            > If you look at feature.h it is clear, that a gui tiny built does not
            > define FEAT_CON_DIALOG:
            > #ifdef FEAT_NORMAL
            > # if ((defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF)) \
            > && defined(HAVE_X11_XPM_H)) \
            > || defined(FEAT_GUI_GTK) \
            > || defined(FEAT_GUI_PHOTON) \
            > || defined(FEAT_GUI_MSWIN) \
            > || defined(FEAT_GUI_MAC)
            > # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
            > # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
            > # else
            > # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
            > # endif
            > #endif
            > #if !defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) \
            > || defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) || defined(FEAT_GUI_GTK) \
            > || defined(FEAT_GUI_W32))
            > /* need a dialog to show error messages when starting from the desktop */
            > # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
            > #endif
            > #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && \
            > (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) || defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) \
            > || defined(FEAT_GUI_GTK) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MSWIN) \
            > || defined(FEAT_GUI_PHOTON) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MAC))
            > # define FEAT_GUI_TEXTDIALOG
            > #endif
            >
            > and in vim.h
            >
            > #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && !defined(FEAT_CON_DIALOG)
            > # define do_dialog gui_mch_dialog
            > #endif
            >
            > :version shows
            >
            > [...]
            > -cmdline_compl -cmdline_hist -cmdline_info -comments -conceal -cryptv -cscope -cursorbind
            > cursorshape +dialog_gui -diff -digraphs +dnd -ebcdic -emacs_tags -eval -ex_extra
            > -extra_search
            > [...]
            >
            > So the when showing the E325 message, the console tiny build will try to
            > show a gui-dialog, which does not work.

            When I start Vim with:

            ./gvim /tmp/tt -u NONE

            While /tmp/tt is already edited by another Vim, I just get the GUI
            dialog. Thus I'm missing the reason why the GUI dialog doesn't work for
            you.

            The libraries used for me are:
            GTK_LIBNAME = -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgio-2.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lcairo -lpango-1.0 -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0

            --
            "My particular problem is with registry entries, which seem to just
            accumulate like plastic coffee cups..." -- Paul Moore

          • Christian Brabandt
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 20, 2013
              Hi Bram!

              On Sa, 19 Jan 2013, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > Christian Brabandt wrote:
              >
              > > On Do, 17 Jan 2013, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > >
              > > > I cannot reproduce the problem. Does this depend on the version of GTK?
              > > > I'm also using glib-2.0 though. Any other feature that matters?
              > >
              > > If you look at feature.h it is clear, that a gui tiny built does not
              > > define FEAT_CON_DIALOG:
              > > #ifdef FEAT_NORMAL
              > > # if ((defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF)) \
              > > && defined(HAVE_X11_XPM_H)) \
              > > # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
              > > # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
              > > # else
              > > # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
              > > # endif
              > > #endif
              > > #if !defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) \
              > > /* need a dialog to show error messages when starting from the desktop */
              > > # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
              > > #endif
              > > #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && \
              > > (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) || defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) \
              > > # define FEAT_GUI_TEXTDIALOG
              > > #endif
              > >
              > > and in vim.h
              > >
              > > #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && !defined(FEAT_CON_DIALOG)
              > > # define do_dialog gui_mch_dialog
              > > #endif
              > >
              > > :version shows
              > >
              > > [...]
              > > -cmdline_compl -cmdline_hist -cmdline_info -comments -conceal -cryptv -cscope -cursorbind
              > > cursorshape +dialog_gui -diff -digraphs +dnd -ebcdic -emacs_tags -eval -ex_extra
              > > -extra_search
              > > [...]
              > >
              > > So the when showing the E325 message, the console tiny build will try to
              > > show a gui-dialog, which does not work.
              >
              > When I start Vim with:
              >
              > ./gvim /tmp/tt -u NONE
              >
              > While /tmp/tt is already edited by another Vim, I just get the GUI
              > dialog. Thus I'm missing the reason why the GUI dialog doesn't work for
              > you.

              What happens with the terminal version of vim?

              Mit freundlichen Grüßen
              Christian
              --
              Man kann nicht alles auf einmal tun. Aber man kann alles auf einmal lassen.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 20, 2013
                Christian Brabandt wrote:

                > > > If you look at feature.h it is clear, that a gui tiny built does not
                > > > define FEAT_CON_DIALOG:
                > > > #ifdef FEAT_NORMAL
                > > > # if ((defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) || defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF)) \
                > > > && defined(HAVE_X11_XPM_H)) \
                > > > # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
                > > > # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
                > > > # else
                > > > # define FEAT_CON_DIALOG
                > > > # endif
                > > > #endif
                > > > #if !defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) \
                > > > /* need a dialog to show error messages when starting from the desktop */
                > > > # define FEAT_GUI_DIALOG
                > > > #endif
                > > > #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && \
                > > > (defined(FEAT_GUI_MOTIF) || defined(FEAT_GUI_ATHENA) \
                > > > # define FEAT_GUI_TEXTDIALOG
                > > > #endif
                > > >
                > > > and in vim.h
                > > >
                > > > #if defined(FEAT_GUI_DIALOG) && !defined(FEAT_CON_DIALOG)
                > > > # define do_dialog gui_mch_dialog
                > > > #endif
                > > >
                > > > :version shows
                > > >
                > > > [...]
                > > > -cmdline_compl -cmdline_hist -cmdline_info -comments -conceal -cryptv -cscope -cursorbind
                > > > cursorshape +dialog_gui -diff -digraphs +dnd -ebcdic -emacs_tags -eval -ex_extra
                > > > -extra_search
                > > > [...]
                > > >
                > > > So the when showing the E325 message, the console tiny build will try to
                > > > show a gui-dialog, which does not work.
                > >
                > > When I start Vim with:
                > >
                > > ./gvim /tmp/tt -u NONE
                > >
                > > While /tmp/tt is already edited by another Vim, I just get the GUI
                > > dialog. Thus I'm missing the reason why the GUI dialog doesn't work for
                > > you.
                >
                > What happens with the terminal version of vim?

                Ah, yes, then I see errors.

                However, we should not define FEAT_CON_DIALOG for GUI-only builds, such
                as on Win32.

                --
                Just think of all the things we haven't thought of yet.