Re: Issue 103 in vim: Python thread are not running in background

  • vim@...
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 16, 2013
      Comment #10 on issue 103 by degu...@...: Python thread are not
      running in background

      Hum, I'm wondering whether the GIL is not taken too much time.

      If we read the description of PyEval_InitThreads(), it says "it is
      guaranteed that the lock has been created and that the calling thread has
      acquired it". Calling PyGILState_Ensure() also takes the GIL. Which means
      that at init time, the GIL is taken 2 times, but only released once in
      if_python.c:767 (by calling Python_SaveThread()). Since the GIL is never
      released, that would explain why the background threads are not allowed to
      run.

    • vim@...
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 16, 2013
        Comment #11 on issue 103 by degu...@...: Python thread are not
        running in background

        Changing the initial value of pygilstate to PyGILState_LOCKED may be the
        solution? (I'm only supposing since I don't know how the initial bug could
        be triggered)

      • vim@...
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
          Updates:

          Comment #12 on issue 103 by lech.lor...@...: Python thread are not
          running in background

          I also noticed the problem when using clang_complete. Last time closing Vim
          took 2 hours to complete! I'm using Vim 7.3.762 under Cygwin with Python
          2.6.8.

        • vim@...
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 25, 2013
            Comment #13 on issue 103 by jonathan...@...: Python thread are not
            running in background

            Here is how I patched my source.

            Attachments:
            vim-python-thread-issue.patch 974 bytes

          • vim@...
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 29, 2013
              Comment #14 on issue 103 by degu...@...: Python thread are not
              running in background

              That patch seems to fix the issue indeed.

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 30, 2013
                Updates:

                Comment #15 on issue 103 by brammool...@...: Python thread are not
                running in background

                The patch is included as 7.3.786.
                Please reopen this issue if it didn't fix the problem.