Re: Issue 103 in vim: Python thread are not running in background

  • vim@...
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 16, 2013
      Comment #9 on issue 103 by degu...@...: Python thread are not running
      in background

      Maybe the bug depend on python's version? Mine is 2.7.3.

      And yes I know that reverting the culprit commit is not really an option:
      it does fix a bug. However, the fix may not be the correct one. Is there a
      test-case for that bug to see if we can fix it in another way?

    • vim@...
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 16, 2013
        Comment #10 on issue 103 by degu...@...: Python thread are not
        running in background

        Hum, I'm wondering whether the GIL is not taken too much time.

        If we read the description of PyEval_InitThreads(), it says "it is
        guaranteed that the lock has been created and that the calling thread has
        acquired it". Calling PyGILState_Ensure() also takes the GIL. Which means
        that at init time, the GIL is taken 2 times, but only released once in
        if_python.c:767 (by calling Python_SaveThread()). Since the GIL is never
        released, that would explain why the background threads are not allowed to
        run.

      • vim@...
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 16, 2013
          Comment #11 on issue 103 by degu...@...: Python thread are not
          running in background

          Changing the initial value of pygilstate to PyGILState_LOCKED may be the
          solution? (I'm only supposing since I don't know how the initial bug could
          be triggered)

        • vim@...
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
            Updates:

            Comment #12 on issue 103 by lech.lor...@...: Python thread are not
            running in background

            I also noticed the problem when using clang_complete. Last time closing Vim
            took 2 hours to complete! I'm using Vim 7.3.762 under Cygwin with Python
            2.6.8.

          • vim@...
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 25, 2013
              Comment #13 on issue 103 by jonathan...@...: Python thread are not
              running in background

              Here is how I patched my source.

              Attachments:
              vim-python-thread-issue.patch 974 bytes

            • vim@...
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 29, 2013
                Comment #14 on issue 103 by degu...@...: Python thread are not
                running in background

                That patch seems to fix the issue indeed.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 30, 2013
                  Updates:

                  Comment #15 on issue 103 by brammool...@...: Python thread are not
                  running in background

                  The patch is included as 7.3.786.
                  Please reopen this issue if it didn't fix the problem.