Re: latex syntax highighlting

  • Charles Campbell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 16, 2013
      Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
      > On 21:53 Tue 08 Jan , Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
      >> On 11:57 Mon 07 Jan , Charles Campbell wrote:
      >>> Hello!
      >>>
      >>> I've put a new syntax/tex.vim on my website
      >>> (http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_TEX). It uses a
      >>> new optional variable, g:tex_fast, to allow for fast syntax highlighting
      >>> with LaTeX/TeX. I've included some additional text I'll be proposing to
      >>> Bram for inclusion in the help:
      >>>
      >>> Finally, if syntax highlighting is still too slow, you may set
      >>> :let g:tex_fast= 1
      >>> in your .vimrc. This variable causes the syntax highlighting script to
      >>> avoid
      >>> defining any regions and associated synchronization. The result will be
      >>> much
      >>> faster syntax highlighting; the price: you will no longer have as much
      >>> highlighting or any syntax-based folding, and you will be missing error
      >>> checking via highlighting.
      >>>
      >>> Please let me know if some problem shows up with this new feature (other
      >>> than "folding doesn't work", "highlighting is missing", etc :) ).
      >>>
      >>> Regards,
      >>> Chip Campbell
      >>>
      >>> --
      >>> You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
      >>> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
      >>> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
      >> Dear Chip,
      >>
      >> Thank you for this feature. It was going over my head, but I didn't had
      >> time to touch it. I manage the AutomaticLatexPlugin
      >> (http://atp-vim.sf.net), and there math maps (like a map for \alpha, and
      >> dozens of others) are defined only if the cursor is inside math. This
      >> is recognized by the syntax which with g:tex_fast is missing. Could you
      >> consider making g:tex_fast a three level option:
      >>
      >> g:tex_fast = 0 - normal 'slow' syntax
      >> g:tex_fast = 1 - 'fast' syntax but with recognition of mathematical environments
      >> g:tex_fast = 2 - the 'fast' syntax that you have proposed
      >>
      >> The attached patch implements this.
      >>
      >> Best regards,
      >> Marcin
      > I forgot about the patch. Here it goes.

      Hello, Marcin:

      I've expanded on the idea of selectable LaTeX syntax suppression; I've
      attached syntax/tex.vim and syntax.txt.

      In particular, you'll be wanting to use

      let g:tex_fast= 'M'

      to suppress region-based LaTeX highlighting (except for math-associated
      regions).

      Regards,
      C Campbell

    • Charles Campbell
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 16, 2013
        Charles Campbell wrote:
        > Hello, Marcin:
        >
        > I've expanded on the idea of selectable LaTeX syntax suppression; I've
        > attached syntax/tex.vim and syntax.txt.
        >
        > In particular, you'll be wanting to use
        >
        > let g:tex_fast= 'M'
        >
        > to suppress region-based LaTeX highlighting (except for math-associated
        > regions).

        Sorry about sending this to the list; I meant for it to go directly to
        Marcin.

        Regards,
        C Campbell