Re: latex syntax highighlting

  • Marcin Szamotulski
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2013
      On 21:53 Tue 08 Jan , Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
      > On 11:57 Mon 07 Jan , Charles Campbell wrote:
      > > Hello!
      > >
      > > I've put a new syntax/tex.vim on my website
      > > (http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_TEX). It uses a
      > > new optional variable, g:tex_fast, to allow for fast syntax highlighting
      > > with LaTeX/TeX. I've included some additional text I'll be proposing to
      > > Bram for inclusion in the help:
      > >
      > > Finally, if syntax highlighting is still too slow, you may set
      > > :let g:tex_fast= 1
      > > in your .vimrc. This variable causes the syntax highlighting script to
      > > avoid
      > > defining any regions and associated synchronization. The result will be
      > > much
      > > faster syntax highlighting; the price: you will no longer have as much
      > > highlighting or any syntax-based folding, and you will be missing error
      > > checking via highlighting.
      > >
      > > Please let me know if some problem shows up with this new feature (other
      > > than "folding doesn't work", "highlighting is missing", etc :) ).
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Chip Campbell
      > >
      > > --
      > > You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
      >
      > Dear Chip,
      >
      > Thank you for this feature. It was going over my head, but I didn't had
      > time to touch it. I manage the AutomaticLatexPlugin
      > (http://atp-vim.sf.net), and there math maps (like a map for \alpha, and
      > dozens of others) are defined only if the cursor is inside math. This
      > is recognized by the syntax which with g:tex_fast is missing. Could you
      > consider making g:tex_fast a three level option:
      >
      > g:tex_fast = 0 - normal 'slow' syntax
      > g:tex_fast = 1 - 'fast' syntax but with recognition of mathematical environments
      > g:tex_fast = 2 - the 'fast' syntax that you have proposed
      >
      > The attached patch implements this.
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Marcin

      I forgot about the patch. Here it goes.

      Marcin

    • Charles Campbell
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 16, 2013
        Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
        > On 21:53 Tue 08 Jan , Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
        >> On 11:57 Mon 07 Jan , Charles Campbell wrote:
        >>> Hello!
        >>>
        >>> I've put a new syntax/tex.vim on my website
        >>> (http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_TEX). It uses a
        >>> new optional variable, g:tex_fast, to allow for fast syntax highlighting
        >>> with LaTeX/TeX. I've included some additional text I'll be proposing to
        >>> Bram for inclusion in the help:
        >>>
        >>> Finally, if syntax highlighting is still too slow, you may set
        >>> :let g:tex_fast= 1
        >>> in your .vimrc. This variable causes the syntax highlighting script to
        >>> avoid
        >>> defining any regions and associated synchronization. The result will be
        >>> much
        >>> faster syntax highlighting; the price: you will no longer have as much
        >>> highlighting or any syntax-based folding, and you will be missing error
        >>> checking via highlighting.
        >>>
        >>> Please let me know if some problem shows up with this new feature (other
        >>> than "folding doesn't work", "highlighting is missing", etc :) ).
        >>>
        >>> Regards,
        >>> Chip Campbell
        >>>
        >>> --
        >>> You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
        >>> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
        >>> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
        >> Dear Chip,
        >>
        >> Thank you for this feature. It was going over my head, but I didn't had
        >> time to touch it. I manage the AutomaticLatexPlugin
        >> (http://atp-vim.sf.net), and there math maps (like a map for \alpha, and
        >> dozens of others) are defined only if the cursor is inside math. This
        >> is recognized by the syntax which with g:tex_fast is missing. Could you
        >> consider making g:tex_fast a three level option:
        >>
        >> g:tex_fast = 0 - normal 'slow' syntax
        >> g:tex_fast = 1 - 'fast' syntax but with recognition of mathematical environments
        >> g:tex_fast = 2 - the 'fast' syntax that you have proposed
        >>
        >> The attached patch implements this.
        >>
        >> Best regards,
        >> Marcin
        > I forgot about the patch. Here it goes.

        Hello, Marcin:

        I've expanded on the idea of selectable LaTeX syntax suppression; I've
        attached syntax/tex.vim and syntax.txt.

        In particular, you'll be wanting to use

        let g:tex_fast= 'M'

        to suppress region-based LaTeX highlighting (except for math-associated
        regions).

        Regards,
        C Campbell

      • Charles Campbell
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 16, 2013
          Charles Campbell wrote:
          > Hello, Marcin:
          >
          > I've expanded on the idea of selectable LaTeX syntax suppression; I've
          > attached syntax/tex.vim and syntax.txt.
          >
          > In particular, you'll be wanting to use
          >
          > let g:tex_fast= 'M'
          >
          > to suppress region-based LaTeX highlighting (except for math-associated
          > regions).

          Sorry about sending this to the list; I meant for it to go directly to
          Marcin.

          Regards,
          C Campbell