Re: latex syntax highighlting

  • Marcin Szamotulski
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2013
      On 11:57 Mon 07 Jan , Charles Campbell wrote:
      > Hello!
      >
      > I've put a new syntax/tex.vim on my website
      > (http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_TEX). It uses a
      > new optional variable, g:tex_fast, to allow for fast syntax highlighting
      > with LaTeX/TeX. I've included some additional text I'll be proposing to
      > Bram for inclusion in the help:
      >
      > Finally, if syntax highlighting is still too slow, you may set
      > :let g:tex_fast= 1
      > in your .vimrc. This variable causes the syntax highlighting script to
      > avoid
      > defining any regions and associated synchronization. The result will be
      > much
      > faster syntax highlighting; the price: you will no longer have as much
      > highlighting or any syntax-based folding, and you will be missing error
      > checking via highlighting.
      >
      > Please let me know if some problem shows up with this new feature (other
      > than "folding doesn't work", "highlighting is missing", etc :) ).
      >
      > Regards,
      > Chip Campbell
      >
      > --

      Dear Chip,

      Thank you for this feature. It was going over my head, but I didn't had
      time to touch it. I manage the AutomaticLatexPlugin
      (http://atp-vim.sf.net), and there math maps (like a map for \alpha, and
      dozens of others) are defined only if the cursor is inside math. This
      is recognized by the syntax which with g:tex_fast is missing. Could you
      consider making g:tex_fast a three level option:

      g:tex_fast = 0 - normal 'slow' syntax
      g:tex_fast = 1 - 'fast' syntax but with recognition of mathematical environments
      g:tex_fast = 2 - the 'fast' syntax that you have proposed

      The attached patch implements this.

      Best regards,
      Marcin

    • Marcin Szamotulski
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2013
        On 21:53 Tue 08 Jan , Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
        > On 11:57 Mon 07 Jan , Charles Campbell wrote:
        > > Hello!
        > >
        > > I've put a new syntax/tex.vim on my website
        > > (http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_TEX). It uses a
        > > new optional variable, g:tex_fast, to allow for fast syntax highlighting
        > > with LaTeX/TeX. I've included some additional text I'll be proposing to
        > > Bram for inclusion in the help:
        > >
        > > Finally, if syntax highlighting is still too slow, you may set
        > > :let g:tex_fast= 1
        > > in your .vimrc. This variable causes the syntax highlighting script to
        > > avoid
        > > defining any regions and associated synchronization. The result will be
        > > much
        > > faster syntax highlighting; the price: you will no longer have as much
        > > highlighting or any syntax-based folding, and you will be missing error
        > > checking via highlighting.
        > >
        > > Please let me know if some problem shows up with this new feature (other
        > > than "folding doesn't work", "highlighting is missing", etc :) ).
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > > Chip Campbell
        > >
        > > --
        > > You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
        >
        > Dear Chip,
        >
        > Thank you for this feature. It was going over my head, but I didn't had
        > time to touch it. I manage the AutomaticLatexPlugin
        > (http://atp-vim.sf.net), and there math maps (like a map for \alpha, and
        > dozens of others) are defined only if the cursor is inside math. This
        > is recognized by the syntax which with g:tex_fast is missing. Could you
        > consider making g:tex_fast a three level option:
        >
        > g:tex_fast = 0 - normal 'slow' syntax
        > g:tex_fast = 1 - 'fast' syntax but with recognition of mathematical environments
        > g:tex_fast = 2 - the 'fast' syntax that you have proposed
        >
        > The attached patch implements this.
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Marcin

        I forgot about the patch. Here it goes.

        Marcin

      • Charles Campbell
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 16, 2013
          Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
          > On 21:53 Tue 08 Jan , Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
          >> On 11:57 Mon 07 Jan , Charles Campbell wrote:
          >>> Hello!
          >>>
          >>> I've put a new syntax/tex.vim on my website
          >>> (http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_TEX). It uses a
          >>> new optional variable, g:tex_fast, to allow for fast syntax highlighting
          >>> with LaTeX/TeX. I've included some additional text I'll be proposing to
          >>> Bram for inclusion in the help:
          >>>
          >>> Finally, if syntax highlighting is still too slow, you may set
          >>> :let g:tex_fast= 1
          >>> in your .vimrc. This variable causes the syntax highlighting script to
          >>> avoid
          >>> defining any regions and associated synchronization. The result will be
          >>> much
          >>> faster syntax highlighting; the price: you will no longer have as much
          >>> highlighting or any syntax-based folding, and you will be missing error
          >>> checking via highlighting.
          >>>
          >>> Please let me know if some problem shows up with this new feature (other
          >>> than "folding doesn't work", "highlighting is missing", etc :) ).
          >>>
          >>> Regards,
          >>> Chip Campbell
          >>>
          >>> --
          >>> You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
          >>> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
          >>> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
          >> Dear Chip,
          >>
          >> Thank you for this feature. It was going over my head, but I didn't had
          >> time to touch it. I manage the AutomaticLatexPlugin
          >> (http://atp-vim.sf.net), and there math maps (like a map for \alpha, and
          >> dozens of others) are defined only if the cursor is inside math. This
          >> is recognized by the syntax which with g:tex_fast is missing. Could you
          >> consider making g:tex_fast a three level option:
          >>
          >> g:tex_fast = 0 - normal 'slow' syntax
          >> g:tex_fast = 1 - 'fast' syntax but with recognition of mathematical environments
          >> g:tex_fast = 2 - the 'fast' syntax that you have proposed
          >>
          >> The attached patch implements this.
          >>
          >> Best regards,
          >> Marcin
          > I forgot about the patch. Here it goes.

          Hello, Marcin:

          I've expanded on the idea of selectable LaTeX syntax suppression; I've
          attached syntax/tex.vim and syntax.txt.

          In particular, you'll be wanting to use

          let g:tex_fast= 'M'

          to suppress region-based LaTeX highlighting (except for math-associated
          regions).

          Regards,
          C Campbell

        • Charles Campbell
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 16, 2013
            Charles Campbell wrote:
            > Hello, Marcin:
            >
            > I've expanded on the idea of selectable LaTeX syntax suppression; I've
            > attached syntax/tex.vim and syntax.txt.
            >
            > In particular, you'll be wanting to use
            >
            > let g:tex_fast= 'M'
            >
            > to suppress region-based LaTeX highlighting (except for math-associated
            > regions).

            Sorry about sending this to the list; I meant for it to go directly to
            Marcin.

            Regards,
            C Campbell