latex syntax highighlting

  • Charles Campbell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2013
      Hello!

      I've put a new syntax/tex.vim on my website
      (http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_TEX). It uses a
      new optional variable, g:tex_fast, to allow for fast syntax highlighting
      with LaTeX/TeX. I've included some additional text I'll be proposing to
      Bram for inclusion in the help:

      Finally, if syntax highlighting is still too slow, you may set
      :let g:tex_fast= 1
      in your .vimrc. This variable causes the syntax highlighting script to
      avoid
      defining any regions and associated synchronization. The result will be
      much
      faster syntax highlighting; the price: you will no longer have as much
      highlighting or any syntax-based folding, and you will be missing error
      checking via highlighting.

      Please let me know if some problem shows up with this new feature (other
      than "folding doesn't work", "highlighting is missing", etc :) ).

      Regards,
      Chip Campbell

    • Marcin Szamotulski
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2013
        On 11:57 Mon 07 Jan , Charles Campbell wrote:
        > Hello!
        >
        > I've put a new syntax/tex.vim on my website
        > (http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_TEX). It uses a
        > new optional variable, g:tex_fast, to allow for fast syntax highlighting
        > with LaTeX/TeX. I've included some additional text I'll be proposing to
        > Bram for inclusion in the help:
        >
        > Finally, if syntax highlighting is still too slow, you may set
        > :let g:tex_fast= 1
        > in your .vimrc. This variable causes the syntax highlighting script to
        > avoid
        > defining any regions and associated synchronization. The result will be
        > much
        > faster syntax highlighting; the price: you will no longer have as much
        > highlighting or any syntax-based folding, and you will be missing error
        > checking via highlighting.
        >
        > Please let me know if some problem shows up with this new feature (other
        > than "folding doesn't work", "highlighting is missing", etc :) ).
        >
        > Regards,
        > Chip Campbell
        >
        > --

        Dear Chip,

        Thank you for this feature. It was going over my head, but I didn't had
        time to touch it. I manage the AutomaticLatexPlugin
        (http://atp-vim.sf.net), and there math maps (like a map for \alpha, and
        dozens of others) are defined only if the cursor is inside math. This
        is recognized by the syntax which with g:tex_fast is missing. Could you
        consider making g:tex_fast a three level option:

        g:tex_fast = 0 - normal 'slow' syntax
        g:tex_fast = 1 - 'fast' syntax but with recognition of mathematical environments
        g:tex_fast = 2 - the 'fast' syntax that you have proposed

        The attached patch implements this.

        Best regards,
        Marcin

      • Marcin Szamotulski
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2013
          On 21:53 Tue 08 Jan , Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
          > On 11:57 Mon 07 Jan , Charles Campbell wrote:
          > > Hello!
          > >
          > > I've put a new syntax/tex.vim on my website
          > > (http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_TEX). It uses a
          > > new optional variable, g:tex_fast, to allow for fast syntax highlighting
          > > with LaTeX/TeX. I've included some additional text I'll be proposing to
          > > Bram for inclusion in the help:
          > >
          > > Finally, if syntax highlighting is still too slow, you may set
          > > :let g:tex_fast= 1
          > > in your .vimrc. This variable causes the syntax highlighting script to
          > > avoid
          > > defining any regions and associated synchronization. The result will be
          > > much
          > > faster syntax highlighting; the price: you will no longer have as much
          > > highlighting or any syntax-based folding, and you will be missing error
          > > checking via highlighting.
          > >
          > > Please let me know if some problem shows up with this new feature (other
          > > than "folding doesn't work", "highlighting is missing", etc :) ).
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > Chip Campbell
          > >
          > > --
          > > You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
          >
          > Dear Chip,
          >
          > Thank you for this feature. It was going over my head, but I didn't had
          > time to touch it. I manage the AutomaticLatexPlugin
          > (http://atp-vim.sf.net), and there math maps (like a map for \alpha, and
          > dozens of others) are defined only if the cursor is inside math. This
          > is recognized by the syntax which with g:tex_fast is missing. Could you
          > consider making g:tex_fast a three level option:
          >
          > g:tex_fast = 0 - normal 'slow' syntax
          > g:tex_fast = 1 - 'fast' syntax but with recognition of mathematical environments
          > g:tex_fast = 2 - the 'fast' syntax that you have proposed
          >
          > The attached patch implements this.
          >
          > Best regards,
          > Marcin

          I forgot about the patch. Here it goes.

          Marcin

        • Charles Campbell
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 16, 2013
            Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
            > On 21:53 Tue 08 Jan , Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
            >> On 11:57 Mon 07 Jan , Charles Campbell wrote:
            >>> Hello!
            >>>
            >>> I've put a new syntax/tex.vim on my website
            >>> (http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_TEX). It uses a
            >>> new optional variable, g:tex_fast, to allow for fast syntax highlighting
            >>> with LaTeX/TeX. I've included some additional text I'll be proposing to
            >>> Bram for inclusion in the help:
            >>>
            >>> Finally, if syntax highlighting is still too slow, you may set
            >>> :let g:tex_fast= 1
            >>> in your .vimrc. This variable causes the syntax highlighting script to
            >>> avoid
            >>> defining any regions and associated synchronization. The result will be
            >>> much
            >>> faster syntax highlighting; the price: you will no longer have as much
            >>> highlighting or any syntax-based folding, and you will be missing error
            >>> checking via highlighting.
            >>>
            >>> Please let me know if some problem shows up with this new feature (other
            >>> than "folding doesn't work", "highlighting is missing", etc :) ).
            >>>
            >>> Regards,
            >>> Chip Campbell
            >>>
            >>> --
            >>> You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
            >>> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
            >>> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
            >> Dear Chip,
            >>
            >> Thank you for this feature. It was going over my head, but I didn't had
            >> time to touch it. I manage the AutomaticLatexPlugin
            >> (http://atp-vim.sf.net), and there math maps (like a map for \alpha, and
            >> dozens of others) are defined only if the cursor is inside math. This
            >> is recognized by the syntax which with g:tex_fast is missing. Could you
            >> consider making g:tex_fast a three level option:
            >>
            >> g:tex_fast = 0 - normal 'slow' syntax
            >> g:tex_fast = 1 - 'fast' syntax but with recognition of mathematical environments
            >> g:tex_fast = 2 - the 'fast' syntax that you have proposed
            >>
            >> The attached patch implements this.
            >>
            >> Best regards,
            >> Marcin
            > I forgot about the patch. Here it goes.

            Hello, Marcin:

            I've expanded on the idea of selectable LaTeX syntax suppression; I've
            attached syntax/tex.vim and syntax.txt.

            In particular, you'll be wanting to use

            let g:tex_fast= 'M'

            to suppress region-based LaTeX highlighting (except for math-associated
            regions).

            Regards,
            C Campbell

          • Charles Campbell
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 16, 2013
              Charles Campbell wrote:
              > Hello, Marcin:
              >
              > I've expanded on the idea of selectable LaTeX syntax suppression; I've
              > attached syntax/tex.vim and syntax.txt.
              >
              > In particular, you'll be wanting to use
              >
              > let g:tex_fast= 'M'
              >
              > to suppress region-based LaTeX highlighting (except for math-associated
              > regions).

              Sorry about sending this to the list; I meant for it to go directly to
              Marcin.

              Regards,
              C Campbell