Re: gp vs p

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2013
      Hi Axel!

      On So, 06 Jan 2013, Axel Bender wrote:

      > Hi Christian,
      >
      > thanks for the answer. It goes along with my perception. I consider this a bug which needs a fix. Also, at times it would come very handy to have p's functionality being different from gp's.

      What exactly do you consider a bug? Using p is a pretty basic action and
      changing the cursor position will be a backwards incompatible change and
      will probably break many scripts, macros and maps, thus it is not very
      likely, that this behaviour is going to be "fixed", especially since
      nobody has complained until now.

      The best I can think of, is using something like the attached patch,
      which only changes the cursor position for characterwise put of single
      lines according to the POSIX standard (as quoted before, see also
      http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/vi.html#tag_20_152_13_69).
      This introduces the new cpo-flag '[' (we are running out of arguments
      for the cpo setting so I used the first free char, that I found) and
      only works, if set cpo+=[ has been used.

      Mit freundlichen Grüßen
      Christian
      --
      Jetzt wächst zusammen, was zusammen gehört.
      -- Willy Brandt

    • Alexey
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 10, 2013
        On Sunday, January 6, 2013 2:07:39 PM UTC+1, Christian Brabandt wrote:

        > What exactly do you consider a bug? Using p is a pretty basic action and
        >
        > changing the cursor position will be a backwards incompatible change and
        >
        > will probably break many scripts, macros and maps, thus it is not very
        >
        > likely, that this behaviour is going to be "fixed", especially since
        >
        > nobody has complained until now.

        Hmm "nobody has complained"? Interesting. Maybe i would have complained, but i've decided instead to remap *all* keys (including the colon, but excluding <Esc>) and use different set of default functions to make it less painful :) (IMO). I guess people do not complain about Vim, they just remap.

        Best regards,

        Alexey.

      • Alexey
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 10, 2013
          As i wrote in https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/vim_use/cDXHgO5iBfI
          the thing that surprised me the most was that the behavior changes depending on whether there are line breaks in the pasted text.

          Alexey.

          P.S. About my previous comment: i've remembered that actually i've slightly remapped <Esc> too.