Re: gp vs p

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2013
      On 06/01/13 13:08, Axel Bender wrote:
      > Hi Christian,
      >
      > thanks for the answer. It goes along with my perception. I consider this a bug which needs a fix. Also, at times it would come very handy to have p's functionality being different from gp's.

      They are different. For characterwise put at least, p leaves the cursor
      on the last character of the inserted string while gp puts it
      immediately after it. And Bram is known to be extremely reluctant to
      accept any behaviour change which might break something in an existing
      script or mapping (even one not distributed with Vim).

      In Tennessee, it is illegal to shoot any game other than whales from a
      moving automobile.

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2013
        Hi Axel!

        On So, 06 Jan 2013, Axel Bender wrote:

        > Hi Christian,
        >
        > thanks for the answer. It goes along with my perception. I consider this a bug which needs a fix. Also, at times it would come very handy to have p's functionality being different from gp's.

        What exactly do you consider a bug? Using p is a pretty basic action and
        changing the cursor position will be a backwards incompatible change and
        will probably break many scripts, macros and maps, thus it is not very
        likely, that this behaviour is going to be "fixed", especially since
        nobody has complained until now.

        The best I can think of, is using something like the attached patch,
        which only changes the cursor position for characterwise put of single
        lines according to the POSIX standard (as quoted before, see also
        http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/vi.html#tag_20_152_13_69).
        This introduces the new cpo-flag '[' (we are running out of arguments
        for the cpo setting so I used the first free char, that I found) and
        only works, if set cpo+=[ has been used.

        Mit freundlichen Grüßen
        Christian
        --
        Jetzt wächst zusammen, was zusammen gehört.
        -- Willy Brandt

      • Alexey
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 10, 2013
          On Sunday, January 6, 2013 2:07:39 PM UTC+1, Christian Brabandt wrote:

          > What exactly do you consider a bug? Using p is a pretty basic action and
          >
          > changing the cursor position will be a backwards incompatible change and
          >
          > will probably break many scripts, macros and maps, thus it is not very
          >
          > likely, that this behaviour is going to be "fixed", especially since
          >
          > nobody has complained until now.

          Hmm "nobody has complained"? Interesting. Maybe i would have complained, but i've decided instead to remap *all* keys (including the colon, but excluding <Esc>) and use different set of default functions to make it less painful :) (IMO). I guess people do not complain about Vim, they just remap.

          Best regards,

          Alexey.

        • Alexey
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 10, 2013
            As i wrote in https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/vim_use/cDXHgO5iBfI
            the thing that surprised me the most was that the behavior changes depending on whether there are line breaks in the pasted text.

            Alexey.

            P.S. About my previous comment: i've remembered that actually i've slightly remapped <Esc> too.