Keyboard-only column block selection and vimdoc per Gvim on Win32

  • Bulgrien, Kevin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2013
      Apologies in advance if this is a duplicate post. I sent a mail to
      vim-dev@... before noticing that that my subscription request
      triggered a join confirmation from vim_dev@... and the
      e-mail did not appear to get sent back to me as a subscribed member.

      In any event, I would like to request a vimdoc update relative to
      column block editing in GVim under Microsoft Windows. This request
      is related to:

      http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14163642/keyboard-only-column-block-selection-in-gvim-win32-or-why-does-ctrl-q-not-emula

      In GVim, `:help Ctrl-C-Alternative` and/or `:help mswin` does not mention
      an important difference between use of Ctrl-V in Vim versus use of Ctrl-Q
      in GVim when mswin.vim is sourced in _vimrc. I have been unable to find
      documention of this difference after a lot of research, and think that
      users are probably better served if the documentation was more complete
      in this regard.

      I refer to vimdoc content here:

      http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/gui_w32.html
      *CTRL-V-alternative* *CTRL-Q*
      *mswin.vim*

      After much research and effort, I was not able to find out how to perform
      columnar block selection in GVim using only the keyboard. Eventually,
      after a lot of brute-force experimentation, I stumbled upon the key:

      To select column blocks in GVim on Win32 using only the keyboard, press
      Ctrl-Q, release it, then press and hold down the Shift key while using
      the arrow keys to select the column block.

      I could not find help that mentioned that the Shift key must be used. In
      Vim the shift key is used only for row block selection, and furthermore,
      the shift key is not held down during block selection.

      I hope that I have not simply missed the relevant documentation that
      discloses this information, but if I have, then I propose that the
      information is not indexed well enough as I spent a lot of time
      trying to find out how to do this.

      I tried to file a tracker item on SourceForge, but the network that I am
      on terminates my connection upon clicking the `Add New` link, and I do
      not use MS Windows at home, so might not particularly think about the
      issue there.

      ---
      Kevin R. Bulgrien
      Design and Development Engineer

      This message and/or attachments may include information subject to GD Corporate Policy 07-105 and is intended to be accessed only by authorized personnel of General Dynamics and approved service providers. Use, storage and transmission are governed by General Dynamics and its policies. Contractual restrictions apply to third parties. Recipients should refer to the policies or contract to determine proper handling. Unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original message.