Re: Collection issue: backslash after dash

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 4, 2013
      On 2013-01-04, martinwguy wrote:
      > >> No, that's normal vi behaviour.
      > > The context is Vim, not Vi:
      > > :set nocp cpo&vim
      >
      > Er, I thought vim was a reimplementation of vi.

      It is. To a point. See

      :help design-compatible
      :help vi-differences

      > >> \ is not special in a character range (it stands for itself) and to
      > >> include ] you need to specify it as the first character in the range.
      > >
      > > Even with set 'cp', `\]' is still special. See:
      > > :h cpo-\
      >
      > Mmm, sorry, I don't know what :se cp/nocp is.

      :help 'cp'

      > > Do you actually use Vi?
      >
      > Hum, it sounds like you're putting your fists up. Bad sign.
      > Yes, since 1982 for all my work. I am also the maintainer for another
      > vi clone, "xvi".
      > Is that enough for you?

      There are a couple of ways that question could be read. I think
      Andy meant it as, "Do you use vi and not Vim?", and I think you
      took it as, "Do you know how to use vi?"

      Regards,
      Gary

    • Andy Wokula
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 7, 2013
        Am 04.01.2013 22:22, schrieb Gary Johnson:
        > On 2013-01-04, martinwguy wrote:
        >>> The context is Vim, not Vi:
        >>> :set nocp cpo&vim
        >>
        >> Er, I thought vim was a reimplementation of vi.
        >
        > It is. To a point. See
        >
        > :help design-compatible
        > :help vi-differences

        >>> Even with set 'cp', `\]' is still special. See:
        >>> :h cpo-\
        >>
        >> Mmm, sorry, I don't know what :se cp/nocp is.
        >
        > :help 'cp'
        >
        >>> Do you actually use Vi?
        >>
        >> Hum, it sounds like you're putting your fists up. Bad sign.
        >> Yes, since 1982 for all my work. I am also the maintainer for another
        >> vi clone, "xvi".
        >> Is that enough for you?
        >
        > There are a couple of ways that question could be read. I think
        > Andy meant it as, "Do you use vi and not Vim?", and I think you
        > took it as, "Do you know how to use vi?"

        Yep, I meant the former.

        Vim added the backslash for escaping within a collection, but it does so
        inconsistently. This has nothing to do with Vi.

        --
        Andy

      • martinwguy
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 7, 2013
          > Vim added the backslash for escaping within a collection, but it does so
          > inconsistently. This has nothing to do with Vi.

          OK, my bad. I didn't know that vim was becoming deliberately
          non-backward-compatible with standard vi.

          Good luck resolving this issue in whatever way you think best