Re: Collection issue: backslash after dash

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 4, 2013
      Hi

      On Fr, 04 Jan 2013, Christian Brabandt wrote:

      > However, to fix this, the following patch can be applied:

      And finally, here is a better patch, supporting multibyte chars and
      including a test.

      Mit freundlichen Grüßen
      Christian
      --
      Das unmittelbare Gewahrwerden der Urphänomene versetzt uns in
      eine Art von Angst, wir fühlen unsere Unzulänglichkeit; nur durch das

    • Andy Wokula
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 4, 2013
        Am 04.01.2013 14:29, schrieb Christian Brabandt:
        >> /[[-\]]
        >
        > Yes, the backslash doesn't have a special meaning when used within a
        > range. Not sure, we should fix this.

        Whether to fix this was my original question (June 2011).
        The rest is off-topic for this thread.

        --
        Andy

      • martinwguy
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 4, 2013
          On 4 January 2013 14:34, Andy Wokula <anwoku@...> wrote:
          > Am 03.01.2013 09:51, schrieb martinwguy:
          >>> Is it a bug that '\' after '-' in a collection is taken literally?
          >> No, that's normal vi behaviour.
          > The context is Vim, not Vi:
          > :set nocp cpo&vim

          Er, I thought vim was a reimplementation of vi.

          >> \ is not special in a character range (it stands for itself) and to
          >> include ] you need to specify it as the first character in the range.
          >
          > Even with set 'cp', `\]' is still special. See:
          > :h cpo-\

          Mmm, sorry, I don't know what :se cp/nocp is.

          > Do you actually use Vi?

          Hum, it sounds like you're putting your fists up. Bad sign.
          Yes, since 1982 for all my work. I am also the maintainer for another
          vi clone, "xvi".
          Is that enough for you?

          >> In the example you give
          >> /[]@-\]
          >> (knowing that \ is the character previous to ])
          >
          > (my pattern `[@-\\]]' also made use of it)
          >
          > So far, it looks like if Vim just forgot to implement a certain case.
          > There is no apparent reason why `\]' is allowed for X but not for Y in
          > a [X-Y] collection.

          No, you're thinking that vi should do as you would expect according to
          your own thinking.
          That may be reasonable if we were designing a new editor, but vim is a
          vi clone, so needs to implement what vi, and the other dozen vi
          clones, do, so as not to break people's scripts.

          That said, it is open source, so you are free to take it, make the
          change you desire and suse your own version.

          Or take it up with Bill Joy in the 1970s, but fr that you will need a
          time machine...

        • Gary Johnson
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 4, 2013
            On 2013-01-04, martinwguy wrote:
            > >> No, that's normal vi behaviour.
            > > The context is Vim, not Vi:
            > > :set nocp cpo&vim
            >
            > Er, I thought vim was a reimplementation of vi.

            It is. To a point. See

            :help design-compatible
            :help vi-differences

            > >> \ is not special in a character range (it stands for itself) and to
            > >> include ] you need to specify it as the first character in the range.
            > >
            > > Even with set 'cp', `\]' is still special. See:
            > > :h cpo-\
            >
            > Mmm, sorry, I don't know what :se cp/nocp is.

            :help 'cp'

            > > Do you actually use Vi?
            >
            > Hum, it sounds like you're putting your fists up. Bad sign.
            > Yes, since 1982 for all my work. I am also the maintainer for another
            > vi clone, "xvi".
            > Is that enough for you?

            There are a couple of ways that question could be read. I think
            Andy meant it as, "Do you use vi and not Vim?", and I think you
            took it as, "Do you know how to use vi?"

            Regards,
            Gary

          • Andy Wokula
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 7, 2013
              Am 04.01.2013 22:22, schrieb Gary Johnson:
              > On 2013-01-04, martinwguy wrote:
              >>> The context is Vim, not Vi:
              >>> :set nocp cpo&vim
              >>
              >> Er, I thought vim was a reimplementation of vi.
              >
              > It is. To a point. See
              >
              > :help design-compatible
              > :help vi-differences

              >>> Even with set 'cp', `\]' is still special. See:
              >>> :h cpo-\
              >>
              >> Mmm, sorry, I don't know what :se cp/nocp is.
              >
              > :help 'cp'
              >
              >>> Do you actually use Vi?
              >>
              >> Hum, it sounds like you're putting your fists up. Bad sign.
              >> Yes, since 1982 for all my work. I am also the maintainer for another
              >> vi clone, "xvi".
              >> Is that enough for you?
              >
              > There are a couple of ways that question could be read. I think
              > Andy meant it as, "Do you use vi and not Vim?", and I think you
              > took it as, "Do you know how to use vi?"

              Yep, I meant the former.

              Vim added the backslash for escaping within a collection, but it does so
              inconsistently. This has nothing to do with Vi.

              --
              Andy

            • martinwguy
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 7, 2013
                > Vim added the backslash for escaping within a collection, but it does so
                > inconsistently. This has nothing to do with Vi.

                OK, my bad. I didn't know that vim was becoming deliberately
                non-backward-compatible with standard vi.

                Good luck resolving this issue in whatever way you think best