Re: New tab visualization

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2013
      Andy Spencer wrote:

      > On 2012-12-31 10:22, Kip Coul wrote:
      > > Currently, the visualization of a tab is represented as a first
      > > character followed by as many repetitions of a second character needed
      > > to fill the width (lcs_tab1 and lcs_tab2 in the code, if I'm not
      > > mistaken).
      > >
      > > I'd like to do the opposite, through an option: the first character
      > > repeated plus the second character at the end. That would enable using
      > > arrows ('--->' for 4-space wide tabs).
      > >
      > > What do you think about this? I could add an option such as 'tabview'
      > > which could take two values.
      >
      > I've wanted this before as well.
      >
      > Maybe instead of adding another option you could modify how listchars
      > works? You could use tab:xyz for the left character, the repeated middle
      > character, and the (optional) right character. Then to get an arrow you
      > could use:
      >
      > :set listchars=tab:-->
      >
      > Any existing configurations that use the two character format `tab:xy'
      > would just be a special case and would be equivalent to tab:xyy.

      Instead of changing the meaning of tab: it's probably easier to add
      another item, e.g. rtab:. Or bat: (although most users will miss the
      hint of a reverse tab...).

      227. You sleep next to your monitor. Or on top of it.

    • Pragm B
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 13, 2013
        Hello everyone,

        I have been wanting this feature as well, so I made a patch.
        The way it works is as follows:
        - an option, called "ntab" (for "new tab", or "end tab") is introduced within "listchars". It can be set like this: "ntab:1" or "ntab:y" or "ntab:Y" and unset with "ntab:0" or "ntab:n" or "ntab:N".
        - when "ntab" is off [default], things behave as they currently do
        - when "ntab" is on, the first character of "tab" is repeated, and the last character is mandatorily put.
        This means that "tab:->,ntab:1" will show a tab that takes four spaces as "--->" and a tab that taks 1 space as ">".

        I attach the patch with this e-mail.

        Thanks!

        Nathaniel

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 13, 2013
          Pragm B. wrote:

          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > I have been wanting this feature as well, so I made a patch.
          > The way it works is as follows:
          > - an option, called "ntab" (for "new tab", or "end tab") is introduced within "listchars". It can be set like this: "ntab:1" or "ntab:y" or "ntab:Y" and unset with "ntab:0" or "ntab:n" or "ntab:N".
          > - when "ntab" is off [default], things behave as they currently do
          > - when "ntab" is on, the first character of "tab" is repeated, and the last character is mandatorily put.
          > This means that "tab:->,ntab:1" will show a tab that takes four spaces as "--->" and a tab that taks 1 space as ">".
          >
          > I attach the patch with this e-mail.

          Thanks, I'll add it in the todo list.

          Is Pragm B. your full name?

          --
          DENNIS: Listen -- strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no
          basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives

        • Pragm B
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 13, 2013
            Hello,

            No, that's just a nickname :)