Re: getbufvar(), getwinvar(), gettabvar(), gettabwinvar() cannot set default value

  • Shougo
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2012
      > Thanks, this looks useful.
      >

      > Instead of manual testing, it would be useful to have the tests in
      >
      > src/testdir. Vim is getting more and more complex, it's good to test
      >
      > every feature.

      Thank you for the reply. I can add test script but I don't know how to make test script for Vim source code.

    • ZyX
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 31, 2012
        > > Instead of manual testing, it would be useful to have the tests in
        > > src/testdir. Vim is getting more and more complex, it's good to test
        > > every feature.
        >
        > Thank you for the reply. I can add test script but I don't know how to make test script for Vim source code.

        There are no direct tests for source code (you meant unit tests?). Functional tests are located at src/testdir (where Bram already pointed you). “gettabvar()” is already tested in src/testdir/test62.in so it makes sense to put the test for it there. Grep failed to locate all of the other functions in src/testdir so testing for new functionality needs to be combined with testing for old one. No advice for placing, ask Bram or read other tests to find what suits best, maybe the new one.

        You probably don’t need to know how exactly that .in file is called (I constantly forget it), but here is the exact command-line on unix (working directory = src/testdir):

        ../vim -u unix.vim -U NONE --noplugin -s dotest.in test87.in
        . Output is then placed to test.out (Makefile moves it to test87.out afterwards). If you are sure new test works fine just replace old test62.ok with test62.out (make) / test.out (manual launch). Test is considered successful if test.out is identical to test87.ok, that’s all. How exactly test.out is written is determined by the test itself, for disabled features, for example, tests just copy *.ok file to test.out.

        Though all I ever did is just taking an existing test file and modifying it or copying, purging actual tests keeping some test.out-writing code and then adding new ones. You don’t need to “know” anything, just do like somebody did before.

      • h_east
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2013
          Hi, Bram, Shougo and list.

          2013/1/1(Tue) 13:02:14 UTC+9 Shougo:
          > > Thanks, this looks useful.
          > >

          > > Instead of manual testing, it would be useful to have the tests in
          > >
          > > src/testdir. Vim is getting more and more complex, it's good to test
          > >
          > > every feature.
          > >

          > Thank you for the reply. I can add test script but I don't know how to make test script for Vim source code.

          I wrote a test code. and found small bugs. I fixed this.
          ({def} may set only valid {bufnr}, {winnr}, {tabnr} spcified.)
          (gettabver(1, '', 'def') and gettabver(1, '&nu', 'def') should not return `def`.)
          Attach a patch. (test89 added and code modified)
          Please check.

          Hirohito Higashi

        • Shougo
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2013

            > I wrote a test code. and found small bugs. I fixed this.
            > ({def} may set only valid {bufnr}, {winnr}, {tabnr} spcified.)
            > (gettabver(1, '', 'def') and gettabver(1, '&nu', 'def') should not return `def`.)
            > Attach a patch. (test89 added and code modified)
            > Please check.
            >
            > Best regards,
            > --
            > Hirohito Higashi

            Thank you for your modification. I think it is good.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2013
              Hirohito Higashi wrote:

              > Hi, Bram, Shougo and list.
              >
              > 2013/1/1(Tue) 13:02:14 UTC+9 Shougo:
              > > > Thanks, this looks useful.
              > > >
              > > > Instead of manual testing, it would be useful to have the tests in
              > > > src/testdir. Vim is getting more and more complex, it's good to test
              > > > every feature.
              > >
              > > Thank you for the reply. I can add test script but I don't know how
              > > to make test script for Vim source code.
              >
              > I wrote a test code. and found small bugs. I fixed this.
              > ({def} may set only valid {bufnr}, {winnr}, {tabnr} spcified.)
              > (gettabver(1, '', 'def') and gettabver(1, '&nu', 'def') should not return `def`.)
              > Attach a patch. (test89 added and code modified)
              > Please check.

              Thanks, I'll add this to the todo list.

            • h_east
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
                Hi Bram

                2013/1/3(Thu) 1:50:25 UTC+9 Bram Moolenaar:
                > Thanks, I'll add this to the todo list.

                Thanks for adding todo list.
                But original patch author is forgotten.

                todo.txt : 93
                Patch to add default value to getbufvar() et al. (Hirohito Higashi, 2013 Jan 1)

                Please fix this as:
                Patch to add default value to getbufvar() et al. (Shougo Matsushita, Hirohito Higashi, 2013 Jan 1)

                Best Regards,
                Hirohito Higashi

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
                  Hirohito Higashi wrote:

                  > 2013/1/3(Thu) 1:50:25 UTC+9 Bram Moolenaar:
                  > > Thanks, I'll add this to the todo list.
                  >
                  > Thanks for adding todo list.
                  > But original patch author is forgotten.
                  >
                  > todo.txt : 93
                  > Patch to add default value to getbufvar() et al. (Hirohito Higashi,
                  > 2013 Jan 1)
                  >
                  > Please fix this as:
                  > Patch to add default value to getbufvar() et al. (Shougo Matsushita,
                  > Hirohito Higashi, 2013 Jan 1)

                  The todo list has the name of the person who sent the patch. That's how
                  I can find it again. But it's good to have the name of the original
                  patch author, I might forget.

                  --
                  There are 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.