Re: New tab visualization

  • Ingo Karkat
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 2012
      On 31-Dec-12 20:12:13 +0900, Kip Coul wrote:

      > Hello Andy,
      >
      > Good suggestion.
      >
      > I'll look into the internals of listchars to implement this.
      >
      > I'll keep you posted.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Kip
      >
      > On 31 déc. 2012, at 11:47, Andy Spencer <andy753421@...> wrote:
      >
      >> On 2012-12-31 10:22, Kip Coul wrote:
      >>> Currently, the visualization of a tab is represented as a first
      >>> character followed by as many repetitions of a second character needed
      >>> to fill the width (lcs_tab1 and lcs_tab2 in the code, if I'm not
      >>> mistaken).
      >>>
      >>> I'd like to do the opposite, through an option: the first character
      >>> repeated plus the second character at the end. That would enable using
      >>> arrows ('--->' for 4-space wide tabs).
      >>>
      >>> What do you think about this? I could add an option such as 'tabview'
      >>> which could take two values.
      >>
      >> I've wanted this before as well.
      >>
      >> Maybe instead of adding another option you could modify how listchars
      >> works? You could use tab:xyz for the left character, the repeated middle
      >> character, and the (optional) right character. Then to get an arrow you
      >> could use:
      >>
      >> :set listchars=tab:-->
      >>
      >> Any existing configurations that use the two character format `tab:xy'
      >> would just be a special case and would be equivalent to tab:xyy.

      This has been proposed before, but not been accepted yet.

      http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/6eaf6fc82626ec25

      Have a look at the patch, check whether it still works, try to improve it (tests
      would be especially nice; Bram rightly wants better test coverage now), and
      resubmit for consideration here.

      -- regards, ingo

      PS: Please don't top-post to this list.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2013
        Andy Spencer wrote:

        > On 2012-12-31 10:22, Kip Coul wrote:
        > > Currently, the visualization of a tab is represented as a first
        > > character followed by as many repetitions of a second character needed
        > > to fill the width (lcs_tab1 and lcs_tab2 in the code, if I'm not
        > > mistaken).
        > >
        > > I'd like to do the opposite, through an option: the first character
        > > repeated plus the second character at the end. That would enable using
        > > arrows ('--->' for 4-space wide tabs).
        > >
        > > What do you think about this? I could add an option such as 'tabview'
        > > which could take two values.
        >
        > I've wanted this before as well.
        >
        > Maybe instead of adding another option you could modify how listchars
        > works? You could use tab:xyz for the left character, the repeated middle
        > character, and the (optional) right character. Then to get an arrow you
        > could use:
        >
        > :set listchars=tab:-->
        >
        > Any existing configurations that use the two character format `tab:xy'
        > would just be a special case and would be equivalent to tab:xyy.

        Instead of changing the meaning of tab: it's probably easier to add
        another item, e.g. rtab:. Or bat: (although most users will miss the
        hint of a reverse tab...).

        227. You sleep next to your monitor. Or on top of it.

      • Pragm B
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 13, 2013
          Hello everyone,

          I have been wanting this feature as well, so I made a patch.
          The way it works is as follows:
          - an option, called "ntab" (for "new tab", or "end tab") is introduced within "listchars". It can be set like this: "ntab:1" or "ntab:y" or "ntab:Y" and unset with "ntab:0" or "ntab:n" or "ntab:N".
          - when "ntab" is off [default], things behave as they currently do
          - when "ntab" is on, the first character of "tab" is repeated, and the last character is mandatorily put.
          This means that "tab:->,ntab:1" will show a tab that takes four spaces as "--->" and a tab that taks 1 space as ">".

          I attach the patch with this e-mail.

          Thanks!

          Nathaniel

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 13, 2013
            Pragm B. wrote:

            > Hello everyone,
            >
            > I have been wanting this feature as well, so I made a patch.
            > The way it works is as follows:
            > - an option, called "ntab" (for "new tab", or "end tab") is introduced within "listchars". It can be set like this: "ntab:1" or "ntab:y" or "ntab:Y" and unset with "ntab:0" or "ntab:n" or "ntab:N".
            > - when "ntab" is off [default], things behave as they currently do
            > - when "ntab" is on, the first character of "tab" is repeated, and the last character is mandatorily put.
            > This means that "tab:->,ntab:1" will show a tab that takes four spaces as "--->" and a tab that taks 1 space as ">".
            >
            > I attach the patch with this e-mail.

            Thanks, I'll add it in the todo list.

            Is Pragm B. your full name?

            --
            DENNIS: Listen -- strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no
            basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives

          • Pragm B
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 13, 2013
              Hello,

              No, that's just a nickname :)