Re: New tab visualization

  • Andy Spencer
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 2012
      On 2012-12-31 10:22, Kip Coul wrote:
      > Currently, the visualization of a tab is represented as a first
      > character followed by as many repetitions of a second character needed
      > to fill the width (lcs_tab1 and lcs_tab2 in the code, if I'm not
      > mistaken).
      >
      > I'd like to do the opposite, through an option: the first character
      > repeated plus the second character at the end. That would enable using
      > arrows ('--->' for 4-space wide tabs).
      >
      > What do you think about this? I could add an option such as 'tabview'
      > which could take two values.

      I've wanted this before as well.

      Maybe instead of adding another option you could modify how listchars
      works? You could use tab:xyz for the left character, the repeated middle
      character, and the (optional) right character. Then to get an arrow you
      could use:

      :set listchars=tab:-->

      Any existing configurations that use the two character format `tab:xy'
      would just be a special case and would be equivalent to tab:xyy.

    • Kip Coul
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 31, 2012
        Hello Andy,

        Good suggestion.

        I'll look into the internals of listchars to implement this.

        I'll keep you posted.

        Cheers,
        Kip

        On 31 déc. 2012, at 11:47, Andy Spencer <andy753421@...> wrote:

        > On 2012-12-31 10:22, Kip Coul wrote:
        >> Currently, the visualization of a tab is represented as a first
        >> character followed by as many repetitions of a second character needed
        >> to fill the width (lcs_tab1 and lcs_tab2 in the code, if I'm not
        >> mistaken).
        >>
        >> I'd like to do the opposite, through an option: the first character
        >> repeated plus the second character at the end. That would enable using
        >> arrows ('--->' for 4-space wide tabs).
        >>
        >> What do you think about this? I could add an option such as 'tabview'
        >> which could take two values.
        >
        > I've wanted this before as well.
        >
        > Maybe instead of adding another option you could modify how listchars
        > works? You could use tab:xyz for the left character, the repeated middle
        > character, and the (optional) right character. Then to get an arrow you
        > could use:
        >
        > :set listchars=tab:-->
        >
        > Any existing configurations that use the two character format `tab:xy'
        > would just be a special case and would be equivalent to tab:xyy.
        >
        > --

      • Ingo Karkat
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 31, 2012
          On 31-Dec-12 20:12:13 +0900, Kip Coul wrote:

          > Hello Andy,
          >
          > Good suggestion.
          >
          > I'll look into the internals of listchars to implement this.
          >
          > I'll keep you posted.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Kip
          >
          > On 31 déc. 2012, at 11:47, Andy Spencer <andy753421@...> wrote:
          >
          >> On 2012-12-31 10:22, Kip Coul wrote:
          >>> Currently, the visualization of a tab is represented as a first
          >>> character followed by as many repetitions of a second character needed
          >>> to fill the width (lcs_tab1 and lcs_tab2 in the code, if I'm not
          >>> mistaken).
          >>>
          >>> I'd like to do the opposite, through an option: the first character
          >>> repeated plus the second character at the end. That would enable using
          >>> arrows ('--->' for 4-space wide tabs).
          >>>
          >>> What do you think about this? I could add an option such as 'tabview'
          >>> which could take two values.
          >>
          >> I've wanted this before as well.
          >>
          >> Maybe instead of adding another option you could modify how listchars
          >> works? You could use tab:xyz for the left character, the repeated middle
          >> character, and the (optional) right character. Then to get an arrow you
          >> could use:
          >>
          >> :set listchars=tab:-->
          >>
          >> Any existing configurations that use the two character format `tab:xy'
          >> would just be a special case and would be equivalent to tab:xyy.

          This has been proposed before, but not been accepted yet.

          http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/6eaf6fc82626ec25

          Have a look at the patch, check whether it still works, try to improve it (tests
          would be especially nice; Bram rightly wants better test coverage now), and
          resubmit for consideration here.

          -- regards, ingo

          PS: Please don't top-post to this list.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2013
            Andy Spencer wrote:

            > On 2012-12-31 10:22, Kip Coul wrote:
            > > Currently, the visualization of a tab is represented as a first
            > > character followed by as many repetitions of a second character needed
            > > to fill the width (lcs_tab1 and lcs_tab2 in the code, if I'm not
            > > mistaken).
            > >
            > > I'd like to do the opposite, through an option: the first character
            > > repeated plus the second character at the end. That would enable using
            > > arrows ('--->' for 4-space wide tabs).
            > >
            > > What do you think about this? I could add an option such as 'tabview'
            > > which could take two values.
            >
            > I've wanted this before as well.
            >
            > Maybe instead of adding another option you could modify how listchars
            > works? You could use tab:xyz for the left character, the repeated middle
            > character, and the (optional) right character. Then to get an arrow you
            > could use:
            >
            > :set listchars=tab:-->
            >
            > Any existing configurations that use the two character format `tab:xy'
            > would just be a special case and would be equivalent to tab:xyy.

            Instead of changing the meaning of tab: it's probably easier to add
            another item, e.g. rtab:. Or bat: (although most users will miss the
            hint of a reverse tab...).

            227. You sleep next to your monitor. Or on top of it.

          • Pragm B
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 13, 2013
              Hello everyone,

              I have been wanting this feature as well, so I made a patch.
              The way it works is as follows:
              - an option, called "ntab" (for "new tab", or "end tab") is introduced within "listchars". It can be set like this: "ntab:1" or "ntab:y" or "ntab:Y" and unset with "ntab:0" or "ntab:n" or "ntab:N".
              - when "ntab" is off [default], things behave as they currently do
              - when "ntab" is on, the first character of "tab" is repeated, and the last character is mandatorily put.
              This means that "tab:->,ntab:1" will show a tab that takes four spaces as "--->" and a tab that taks 1 space as ">".

              I attach the patch with this e-mail.

              Thanks!

              Nathaniel

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 13, 2013
                Pragm B. wrote:

                > Hello everyone,
                >
                > I have been wanting this feature as well, so I made a patch.
                > The way it works is as follows:
                > - an option, called "ntab" (for "new tab", or "end tab") is introduced within "listchars". It can be set like this: "ntab:1" or "ntab:y" or "ntab:Y" and unset with "ntab:0" or "ntab:n" or "ntab:N".
                > - when "ntab" is off [default], things behave as they currently do
                > - when "ntab" is on, the first character of "tab" is repeated, and the last character is mandatorily put.
                > This means that "tab:->,ntab:1" will show a tab that takes four spaces as "--->" and a tab that taks 1 space as ">".
                >
                > I attach the patch with this e-mail.

                Thanks, I'll add it in the todo list.

                Is Pragm B. your full name?

                --
                DENNIS: Listen -- strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no
                basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives

              • Pragm B
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 13, 2013
                  Hello,

                  No, that's just a nickname :)