New tab visualization

  • Kip Coul
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 2012
      Hey guys,

      I'm quite news to Vim, and I enjoy using it very much.

      I'd like to suggest adding a new feature, which would IMO enhance the visualization of tabs.

      Currently, the visualization of a tab is represented as a first character followed by as many repetitions of a second character needed to fill the width (lcs_tab1 and lcs_tab2 in the code, if I'm not mistaken).

      I'd like to do the opposite, through an option: the first character repeated plus the second character at the end. That would enable using arrows ('--->' for 4-space wide tabs).

      What do you think about this? I could add an option such as 'tabview' which could take two values.

      Thanks for your feedback.

      Happy new year !

      Kip

    • Andy Spencer
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 31, 2012
        On 2012-12-31 10:22, Kip Coul wrote:
        > Currently, the visualization of a tab is represented as a first
        > character followed by as many repetitions of a second character needed
        > to fill the width (lcs_tab1 and lcs_tab2 in the code, if I'm not
        > mistaken).
        >
        > I'd like to do the opposite, through an option: the first character
        > repeated plus the second character at the end. That would enable using
        > arrows ('--->' for 4-space wide tabs).
        >
        > What do you think about this? I could add an option such as 'tabview'
        > which could take two values.

        I've wanted this before as well.

        Maybe instead of adding another option you could modify how listchars
        works? You could use tab:xyz for the left character, the repeated middle
        character, and the (optional) right character. Then to get an arrow you
        could use:

        :set listchars=tab:-->

        Any existing configurations that use the two character format `tab:xy'
        would just be a special case and would be equivalent to tab:xyy.

      • Kip Coul
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 31, 2012
          Hello Andy,

          Good suggestion.

          I'll look into the internals of listchars to implement this.

          I'll keep you posted.

          Cheers,
          Kip

          On 31 déc. 2012, at 11:47, Andy Spencer <andy753421@...> wrote:

          > On 2012-12-31 10:22, Kip Coul wrote:
          >> Currently, the visualization of a tab is represented as a first
          >> character followed by as many repetitions of a second character needed
          >> to fill the width (lcs_tab1 and lcs_tab2 in the code, if I'm not
          >> mistaken).
          >>
          >> I'd like to do the opposite, through an option: the first character
          >> repeated plus the second character at the end. That would enable using
          >> arrows ('--->' for 4-space wide tabs).
          >>
          >> What do you think about this? I could add an option such as 'tabview'
          >> which could take two values.
          >
          > I've wanted this before as well.
          >
          > Maybe instead of adding another option you could modify how listchars
          > works? You could use tab:xyz for the left character, the repeated middle
          > character, and the (optional) right character. Then to get an arrow you
          > could use:
          >
          > :set listchars=tab:-->
          >
          > Any existing configurations that use the two character format `tab:xy'
          > would just be a special case and would be equivalent to tab:xyy.
          >
          > --

        • Ingo Karkat
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 31, 2012
            On 31-Dec-12 20:12:13 +0900, Kip Coul wrote:

            > Hello Andy,
            >
            > Good suggestion.
            >
            > I'll look into the internals of listchars to implement this.
            >
            > I'll keep you posted.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Kip
            >
            > On 31 déc. 2012, at 11:47, Andy Spencer <andy753421@...> wrote:
            >
            >> On 2012-12-31 10:22, Kip Coul wrote:
            >>> Currently, the visualization of a tab is represented as a first
            >>> character followed by as many repetitions of a second character needed
            >>> to fill the width (lcs_tab1 and lcs_tab2 in the code, if I'm not
            >>> mistaken).
            >>>
            >>> I'd like to do the opposite, through an option: the first character
            >>> repeated plus the second character at the end. That would enable using
            >>> arrows ('--->' for 4-space wide tabs).
            >>>
            >>> What do you think about this? I could add an option such as 'tabview'
            >>> which could take two values.
            >>
            >> I've wanted this before as well.
            >>
            >> Maybe instead of adding another option you could modify how listchars
            >> works? You could use tab:xyz for the left character, the repeated middle
            >> character, and the (optional) right character. Then to get an arrow you
            >> could use:
            >>
            >> :set listchars=tab:-->
            >>
            >> Any existing configurations that use the two character format `tab:xy'
            >> would just be a special case and would be equivalent to tab:xyy.

            This has been proposed before, but not been accepted yet.

            http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/6eaf6fc82626ec25

            Have a look at the patch, check whether it still works, try to improve it (tests
            would be especially nice; Bram rightly wants better test coverage now), and
            resubmit for consideration here.

            -- regards, ingo

            PS: Please don't top-post to this list.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2013
              Andy Spencer wrote:

              > On 2012-12-31 10:22, Kip Coul wrote:
              > > Currently, the visualization of a tab is represented as a first
              > > character followed by as many repetitions of a second character needed
              > > to fill the width (lcs_tab1 and lcs_tab2 in the code, if I'm not
              > > mistaken).
              > >
              > > I'd like to do the opposite, through an option: the first character
              > > repeated plus the second character at the end. That would enable using
              > > arrows ('--->' for 4-space wide tabs).
              > >
              > > What do you think about this? I could add an option such as 'tabview'
              > > which could take two values.
              >
              > I've wanted this before as well.
              >
              > Maybe instead of adding another option you could modify how listchars
              > works? You could use tab:xyz for the left character, the repeated middle
              > character, and the (optional) right character. Then to get an arrow you
              > could use:
              >
              > :set listchars=tab:-->
              >
              > Any existing configurations that use the two character format `tab:xy'
              > would just be a special case and would be equivalent to tab:xyy.

              Instead of changing the meaning of tab: it's probably easier to add
              another item, e.g. rtab:. Or bat: (although most users will miss the
              hint of a reverse tab...).

              227. You sleep next to your monitor. Or on top of it.

            • Pragm B
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 13, 2013
                Hello everyone,

                I have been wanting this feature as well, so I made a patch.
                The way it works is as follows:
                - an option, called "ntab" (for "new tab", or "end tab") is introduced within "listchars". It can be set like this: "ntab:1" or "ntab:y" or "ntab:Y" and unset with "ntab:0" or "ntab:n" or "ntab:N".
                - when "ntab" is off [default], things behave as they currently do
                - when "ntab" is on, the first character of "tab" is repeated, and the last character is mandatorily put.
                This means that "tab:->,ntab:1" will show a tab that takes four spaces as "--->" and a tab that taks 1 space as ">".

                I attach the patch with this e-mail.

                Thanks!

                Nathaniel

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 13, 2013
                  Pragm B. wrote:

                  > Hello everyone,
                  >
                  > I have been wanting this feature as well, so I made a patch.
                  > The way it works is as follows:
                  > - an option, called "ntab" (for "new tab", or "end tab") is introduced within "listchars". It can be set like this: "ntab:1" or "ntab:y" or "ntab:Y" and unset with "ntab:0" or "ntab:n" or "ntab:N".
                  > - when "ntab" is off [default], things behave as they currently do
                  > - when "ntab" is on, the first character of "tab" is repeated, and the last character is mandatorily put.
                  > This means that "tab:->,ntab:1" will show a tab that takes four spaces as "--->" and a tab that taks 1 space as ">".
                  >
                  > I attach the patch with this e-mail.

                  Thanks, I'll add it in the todo list.

                  Is Pragm B. your full name?

                  --
                  DENNIS: Listen -- strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no
                  basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives

                • Pragm B
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 13, 2013
                    Hello,

                    No, that's just a nickname :)