Re: Issue 11 in vim: VIM shell extension added LANG environment variable to explorer.exe

  • vim@googlecode.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2012
      Comment #2 on issue 11 by christia...@...: VIM shell extension added
      LANG environment variable to explorer.exe

      Looking at the current code, I don't see how this would be fixed.

      The patch apparently touches code that is responsible for launching
      gvim.exe, but LANG= is injected into explorer.exe already at this point.
      LANG= will leak into ALL OTHER processes started by Explorer, which also
      hosts the Start Menu, therefore the LANG set by the Vim Shell Extension is
      very likely to leak into ALL OTHER processes started by the user.

      The environment of the calling process (which can be a random process
      hosting a Common Controls Dialog or a shell view or something else) is
      never safe to modify.

      Please consider not setting LANG= at all.

      (I could not test patch 276 as I do not have a vim build environment here
      and the prebuilt binary is patch level 46.)