Re: utf-8 based char2nr/nr2char.

  • mattn
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 26, 2012
      > I recommend to set your 'encoding' to utf-8 near the top of your vimrc
      >
      > (if the current Vim is compiled with +multi_byte). See how at
      >
      > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Working_with_Unicode
      >

      > Note that if you change 'encoding' after some file has been loaded for
      >
      > editing, you run the risk of corrupting that file's text (unless it
      >
      > happens to consist entirely of 7-bit US-ASCII characters).

      No, changing encoding occur refreshing. So It can't use char2nr gracefully.

    • mattn
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 26, 2012
        > No, changing encoding occur refreshing. So It can't use char2nr gracefully.

        The changing &encoding option affect to substitute(), strXXX or many another functions. The new feature I want is, getting character from utf-8 codepoint, Just it.

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 26, 2012
          On 26/12/12 10:03, mattn wrote:
          >> No, changing encoding occur refreshing. So It can't use char2nr gracefully.
          >
          > The changing &encoding option affect to substitute(), strXXX or many another functions. The new feature I want is, getting character from utf-8 codepoint, Just it.

          Well, if you set your 'encoding' to utf-8 once and for all in your vimrc
          (before any file is loaded), char2nr() will give you the Unicode
          codepoint number of the first character in its String argument.
          Similarly, nr2char() will give you (as a single character of one or more
          bytes) the Unicode codepoint corresponding to its integer argument.

          I don't understand your sentence "it can't use char2nr gracefully". If
          'encoding' is set to utf-8, you'll need some fancy footwork to get the
          character's value from the 'fileencoding' point-of-view if different,
          but it's possible via iconv().

          Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 29, 2012
            Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

            > In some times, I want to use utf-8 character based char2nr/nr2char.
            > Currently, char2nr/nr2char works depend on locale characters. But I guess someone hope to use utf-8 character based char2nr/nr2char.
            > I added second argument which treat first argument as utf-8.
            >
            > https://gist.github.com/1686178

            Thanks, I'll add it to the todo list.

            211. Your husband leaves you...taking the computer with him and you
            call him crying, and beg him to bring the computer back.